Kindle can't connect...

Questions about Wine on Linux
quietforest

Kindle can't connect...

Post by quietforest » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:55 pm

Total WINE newbie here, trying to get Kindle up and running. I just installed WINE 2.0.1 on a 2009 Macbook running Linux Mint 18.1 Serena 64-bit MATE. The installer download from Amazon (KindleForPC-installer-1.20.47037.exe) is a fail, unpacks and then just closes. I did get Kindle 1.8.1 up and running with Winetricks, but it won't log in with my account password, gives a can't connect error, but it's connecting to something, because Amazon sends me a temporary password to complete the registration process each time I try to log in. Account shows my new Kindle for PC, and the Recommended For You link works (Opera browser), but it can't connect and sync, gives a "cannot connect at this time" error message. I haven't a clue what I may have done wrong.

dimesio

Re: Kindle can't connect...

Post by dimesio » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:59 am

You couldn't log in with Kindle 1.8.1 on Windows, either. Amazon regularly retires old Kindle versions; the oldest supported version is currently 1.17.1, which works on my system.

Recent versions of Kindle for PC are affected by https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=35041. Use taskset -c 0 to work around it.

tfhavel

Post by tfhavel » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:12 pm

I am having this exact same problem, and the response above is not helpful.

First, like quietforest I found the Kindle-Installer downloaded from Amazon "unpacked" itself but then exited without actually doing the install. This makes it impossible to install the latest version directly, so winetricks was the only option even though it installs an older version.

Second, I cannot update to the latest version from within the Kindle program because it apparently thinks it is not connected to the internet. This is according to the "Help -> Check for Problems" popup (which also says I haven't got secure storage or the dictionary downloads, though that's secondary).

Trying to test my connection from the wineconsole cmd with "ping" produces the cryptic error "fixme:ping:main this command currently just sleeps based on -n parameter" which, according to a posting from 2.5 years ago, is a bug in wine: https://askubuntu.com/questions/622587/ ... or-message. But there MUST be network connectivity within the wine program space because otherwise winetricks would not have been able to download and install anything!

Nevertheless, I also installed the BNN Nook reader with winetricks and I can't log in to my BNN account either; the error message says "the system is unavailable at this time" although once again there does appear to be a connection because if I mistype my password it instead tells me it's wrong!

I must confess to also being puzzled as to exactly what "winetricks" actually does, since after exiting I cannot find any of the programs I installed with it in "~/.wine" or using "wine explorer.exe". But certainly "man winetricks" makes it sound like it should've put them somewhere obvious!

In summary, this is all turning out to be quite painful, and if a similarly flippant "response" is posted I'm probably going to just give up.

dimesio

Post by dimesio » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:20 pm

Well, I'm not sure what you consider "flippant" about my previous response; it certainly wasn't meant that way.

What has changed since then is https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=43508; recent Kindle versions don't install in Wine. Try an older version; the most recent successful test report mentions installing and registering 1.16.x first then installing the new version to the same wineprefix.

quietforest

Post by quietforest » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:35 pm

This issue has become moot for me now. I did write to Amazon about the problem, and asked why they don't have a Linux version. Their response was essentially, either go buy a Kindle or settle for reading through a supported web browser. Given the serious potential privacy and copyright issues already present with electronic books, the additional install hassle ended my interest, which was based entirely on cost anyway. Sometimes, principle trumps price. I'm just rebuying my (very small) library as physical copies - from anywhere but Amazon.

Ralough

Post by Ralough » Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:42 pm

The Kindle app tries to set up a "keep-alive" connection to amazon as soon as the Kindle application is activated.
I have three versions that I try to get running. The oldest succeeds in opening the application window but the help menu tells me that it cannot connect to the internet.
The app seems to assume that the name of my machine is wpad.[my domain]
Once I get past that problem I think the server providing the service at amazon is no longer in operation.
The name being queried is kindle-app-service.amazon.com and I'm seeing a "No such name" response.
a ping on kindle-app-service.amazon.com fails.

This is a work in progress. I'll maybe try Kindle ver 26 to see if I can progress.

qwertymnb
Level 4
Level 4

Post by qwertymnb » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:23 am

Hi,

I don`t know much about this Kindle App, but note that you can get the newest versions installed and running by creating missing directory in AppData (this hint was found by someone who debugged this somewhere in bugzilla)

So: mkdir -p "~/ramdisk/.wine/drive_c/users/put_your_name_here!!!!/AppData/Local/Amazon/Kindle"

I don`t have an account nor a device so couldn`t test anything really, only attached screenshot that shows there`s conectivity but might be just red herring...
Screenshot from 2020-09-27 10-15-50.png

nmm1

Post by nmm1 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:16 am

Damn. Search is effectively disabled, for some reason, and I missed this. I have an almost identical issue, and created a new post, which is awaiting moderation. I will kill it, if it appears.

Under Debian 8 (jessie), all of Memorymap, Internet Explorer, the Kindle app and Adobe Digit Editions work; under Debian 10 (buster), they all run but only the first two can connect to the Internet. There is not a single diagnostic or clue either to the console or in /var/log. Note that ALL of those applications are the same binaries in the two Debians, and I can still run the latter two by rebooting into the older system. These are the standard versions, so its Wine 4.0.2 under buster. From Kindle, I get the helpful message "unable to connect"; from ADE, I get more words, but no more information.

My question is whether there is any way to persuade Wine to give me some information on what is being done to the network, and what is failing? Given that, I may be able to get somewhere.

I tried a large number of the usual hacks (winetricks, winbind etc.), but nothing helped. While I could purge wine and install the latest and greatest version, will it actually fix the problem? Or will it break the currently working applications? Without some idea of what is going on, I am cautious.