icmp no reply

Questions about Wine on Linux
raphael

icmp no reply

Post by raphael »

Hi,
I'm working on a program that communicates with a machine over ethernet.
I have to use an api that is close source and only for windows. Thus i try to get my program running with wine.
The call that should do the connection with the remote machine doesn't work in wine but does work on windows.
I have tested different versions of wine and it doesn't work on all of them(last version i have tested is wine-staging 2.1).
I found out that the api does use icmp to know if there is a machine with the given ip. I have used wine as root for testing so icmp isn't blocked because of user rights.

I have used WINEDEBUG+=icmp to see what happens and the result is:

trace:icmp:IcmpSendEcho Sending 8 bytes (RequestSize=0) to 192.168.1.188
trace:icmp:IcmpSendEcho received 8 bytes from 192.168.1.188
trace:icmp:IcmpSendEcho received 0 replies

Just for the case my setup matters:
My Setup involves 2 PCs both running one vbox vm. One vm with linux (ubuntu 16 or CentOs 7) the system i want to connect from and one vm with the machine i want to connect to. All vbox use bridged mode and promiscuous mode.

I've also checked the network packages with wireshark running on the host for the linux and it tells me that there is no response for the icmp send from linux to any ip(even using the linux ping command). The output of ping from linux looks fine.
I think the program doesn't work because it doesn't get a reply. But why does wine and wireshark tell me that there is no response while ping works? Is the problem with linux settings or wine? Does someone has an idea?
raphael

Re: icmp no reply

Post by raphael »

I found out that the api calls IcmpSendEcho with a replay size of 36. This does work in Windows but doesn't work in Wine. Wine needs at least a replay size of 56 to work. I think this is a bug and should be fixed. I still need some time to understand why it doesn't work and than i'll make a bug report...