BiDi Arabic doesn't appear correctly in VB6 app label

Questions about Wine on Linux
ashballan

BiDi Arabic doesn't appear correctly in VB6 app label

Post by ashballan »

I'm trying to run our legacy VB6 application under Linux Mint MATE desktop using Wine 2.0.1 and I'm faced with a very strange issue.

Everything runs perfect except that all the Arabic (LC_ALL=ar_SA) labels don't right-justify correctly (not using unicode here). There's always a space between the label right-most edge and the beginning of the text. I wrote a small application in VB6 just to test out all the fonts thinking it was a font issue but it wasn't. Notice how the top three "Tahoma" labels are justified correctly (center, left, right) and then after when the text is in Arabic the text is off-center and doesn't stick to the right-most edge properly. Left justification works. I even tried a different Label control in VB6 (the last label at the bottom in the screenshot) but still the same issue.

And depending on the font used this space on the right is different. Even depending on the text used the space is different. I noticed however the font "Courier New" doesn't have this issue and the text is perfectly justified and centered.

Our application uses Tahoma mostly and because of this the forms look very bad since the label text is all-over-the-place.

Top screenshot is Wine and bottom one is Windows: (oops, attachment quota reached, couldn't upload the file.. sorry!)

Any ideas how to fix this please??
ashballan

Re: BiDi Arabic doesn't appear correctly in VB6 app label

Post by ashballan »

OK so couldn't upload the screenshot to the board because some limit has been reached but here's a link to it:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/efbc9nmifyw12 ... t.jpg?dl=0

If anyone has any ideas about this..?
dimesio

Re: BiDi Arabic doesn't appear correctly in VB6 app label

Post by dimesio »

Does native riched20 help? This could be https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=34513.