Wine on Ubuntu 17.04 64 bit

Questions about Wine on Linux
Gabrielexy

Wine on Ubuntu 17.04 64 bit

Post by Gabrielexy »

Greetings,

I prefix that I'm italian so I apoligize but my english won't be good..

I have a problem on my Ubuntu 17.04 64 bit, wine doesn't work: even if I've downloaded the "package" (I mean the version of Wine) on this website, and even if I've downloaded it from Ubuntu Software Center, it doesn't work. I also mean when I click on a .exe program (StarCraft 2 in my case), automatically it doesn't open as Wine but as something like "archive manager", and even if I click on "open with", there is no Wine program. (I've tried to launch the .exe program with "run software" but it didn't work).

Thanks,

Gabriele
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Wine on Ubuntu 17.04 64 bit

Post by Bob Wya »

See WineHQ Users Guide: 3 Using Wine ...

If you want something more user friendly 8) then there is always: These 3rd party wrappers aren't supported on this site however...

Bob
Gabrielexy

Post by Gabrielexy »

Thanks Bob for your reply.

I've used both Wine and PlayOnLinux, but I have some issues:
1) With Wine I can't run an application (.exe file) and an .exe file which are Battle.net-Setup.exe and StarCraft-II-Setup.exe, I mean I can run them but with the first (Battle.net) I can't make it run even after it's installed (after the installation of it, it appears on the Desktop and after double-clicked it it doesn't go to the login screen (the Battle.net screen before the main screen of Battle.net where I can download Starcraft 2)), and this I can't run even with the command "wine Applicazione Blizzard" (note: "Applicazione Blizzard" is the "result" of the installation through the command "wine Battle.net-Setup.exe).
Instead with the second file .exe (StarCraft-II-Setup.exe) it doesn't run, actually it runs only to download "updating to blizzard agent", but then it doesn't go beyond anymore.
2) With PlayOnLinux I've followed a guide on YouTube which explained how to install Starcraft II using a non-listed program, but I think the only thing I am missing is that I can't download "Microsoft Core Fonts": it stucks for like 1 second to download "andale32.exe" and then the download screen disappears.
I have already downloaded Starcraft II on my old 14.04 32 bit Ubuntu, but it crashed sometimes so I've decided to change into a 64 bit system. And I saw people on YouTube playing Starcraft 2 on Ubuntu without having any issues so I would try to download it for Ubuntu, at least try.

Do you know how to run properly (after the command "wine Battle.net-Setup.exe" and "wine StarCraft-II-Setup.exe" on the terminal) Battle.net-Setup.exe and StarCraft-II-Setup.exe? Or instead do you know how to install Microsoft Core Fonts if that's the problem that makes me stop to go beyond with the Starcraft 2 installation?

Anyways sorry but I didn't understand the phrase "These 3rd party wrappers aren't supported on this site however...": you mean PlayOnLinux and codeweavers: CrossOver aren't supported on this website?
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

Gabrielexy wrote:Thanks Bob for your reply.

I've used both Wine and PlayOnLinux, but I have some issues:
Gabrielexy wrote: 1) With Wine I can't run an application (.exe file) and an .exe file which are Battle.net-Setup.exe and StarCraft-II-Setup.exe, I mean I can run them but with the first (Battle.net) I can't make it run even after it's installed (after the installation of it, it appears on the Desktop and after double-clicked it it doesn't go to the login screen (the Battle.net screen before the main screen of Battle.net where I can download Starcraft 2)), and this I can't run even with the command "wine Applicazione Blizzard" (note: "Applicazione Blizzard" is the "result" of the installation through the command "wine Battle.net-Setup.exe).
You're really wasting your time trying to run Wine applications from desktop shortcuts - without understanding how these work... Since troubleshooting Wine is typically done by inspecting the console output.
Gabrielexy wrote:Do you know how to run properly (after the command "wine Battle.net-Setup.exe" and "wine StarCraft-II-Setup.exe" on the terminal) Battle.net-Setup.exe and StarCraft-II-Setup.exe? Or instead do you know how to install Microsoft Core Fonts if that's the problem that makes me stop to go beyond with the Starcraft 2 installation?
I've recently tested the Blizzard Battle.net installer. Running the Installer

Code: Select all

export WINEARCH=win32
export WINEPREFIX="${HOME}/.local/share/wineprefixes/blizzard_battle.net_32" # Change this WINEPREFIX path - as/if required
wineboot -u
winetricks sandbox
wine start 'Battle.net-Setup.exe'
Running the Launcher

Code: Select all

export WINEPREFIX="${HOME}/.local/share/wineprefixes/blizzard_battle.net_32"
cd "${WINEPREFIX}/drive_c/Program Files/Blizzard App"
wine start 'Battle.net Launcher.exe'
Gabrielexy wrote:Anyways sorry but I didn't understand the phrase "These 3rd party wrappers aren't supported on this site however...": you mean PlayOnLinux and codeweavers: CrossOver aren't supported on this website?
Yes. Codeweavers are the primary funding source for Wine (the Open Source project).
They provide independent support for their proprietary Wine wrapper (Crossover).

Bob