How to open a linux app from a wine app

Questions about Wine on Linux
Deltagande
Level 1
Level 1

How to open a linux app from a wine app

Post by Deltagande »

I am testing Postbox under Wine. One of the mails I have received provides a number of pictures as links to news items. When I hover over the pictures I see a plus sign in a magnifying glass indicating that I can enlarge the photograph, but when I click the mouse, the actual operation I get is that a window opens asking for the name of an application to open a web browser. The plus sign in a magnifying glass is incorrect. The symbol should be the pointing hand indicating that this is a link.

What I want to be able to do is to tell the application, Postbox, that the program to be opened is Firefox in the linux environment, but the window asking for the name of the application will only let me see Windows programs, that is something ending with .exe. Firefox starts with the firefox.sh file in /usr/lib/firefox, but the window does not show that file as an application.

How can I make an 'application' from the firefox.sh file which Postbox will then use to open the link in Firefox. Firefox can be replaced by, say, Chrome or any other browser if this will help. Or do I have to insert the Windows version of a web browser into Wine?
Deltagande
Level 1
Level 1

Re: How to open a linux app from a wine app

Post by Deltagande »

I've actually found a workaround. I copied the firefox.sh to firefox.exe and could connect that, but I'm sure it's a hack and not an elegant solution.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

See WineHQ FAQ: 6.6.3 How do I associate a native program with a file type in Wine?

I generally just have my WINEPREFIXes setup to launch my native web browser and stick at that.
I think the default Wine setup is to do this (i.e. launch a native Linux web browser).
That is until you install a Windows web browser like Firefox or Internet Explorer 7/8 - in that WINEPREFIX.

Bob
Deltagande
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Deltagande »

Thanks for the tip, Bob. I'll take a look at WINEPREFIX.

James
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

np... 8)

If you get stuck just post some more questions. Though generally it's quite easy to redirect the URL mime-type - to your native Linux browser (as I said - that is the Wine default).

File associations, for Wine, is all done via the Wine registry (a direct analogue of the Windows Registry - but text vs. binary format)...

A WINEPREFIX is just a self-contained virtual Windows instance (C:\ drive, registry files, etc.)
You can have multiple WINEPREFIX's - which is the recommended way to install separate Windows applications (less chance of framework / library conflicts).

Bob