I tried this:

Code: Select all

$ wine --version 
wine-2.0.1
$ wine TreeSizeFree-4.03-Setup.exe 
fixme:file:SetDefaultDllDirectories (800): stub
fixme:file:SetSearchPathMode (8001): stub
fixme:process:SetProcessDEPPolicy (1): stub
Does somebody have an idea, how to make this working?
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: How to install TreeSizeFree with Wine

Post by Bob Wya »

@UlfZibis,

I can get both Tree Size Free 4.0.3.372 and the older 3.4.5.343 (XP version) to work. However the newer version only supports scanning directories and is not able to enumerate Windows disk drive (letters).

Tested version:

wine --version
wine-2.9 (Staging)
WINEPREFIX left at default of Windows 7.

Installing the application:

cd "~/.local/share/wineprefixes"
export WINEPREFIX="${PWD}/tree_size_free_32"
export WINARCH=win32
cd "${WINEPREFIX}/drive_c"
wine start TreeSizeFreeSetup.exe
Running the application:

cd "~/.local/share/wineprefixes"
export WINEPREFIX="${PWD}/tree_size_free_32"
cd "${WINEPREFIX}/drive_c/Program Files/JAM Software/TreeSize Free"
wine start TreeSizeFree.exe
Personally I'd recommend just sticking to native Linux tools - like the excellent QDirStat utility...

Bob
UlfZibis
Level 3
Level 3

Post by UlfZibis »

@ Bob Wys
Much thanks for your help!
Because I'm afraid wine-staging is not stable enough, I have to wait for later version of wine-stable.
I tried again with Windows 7 setting in winecfg on 2.0.1, but it didn't help.
I also tried TreeSizeFree 3.4.0, it still returned

$ fixme:file:SetSearchPathMode (8001): stub
, but no fixme:file:SetDefaultDllDirectories (800): stub.

But very much thanks for the hint with QDirStat, it perfectly supersedes TreeSizeFree. There is only 1 little nit, I would like to enable following symlinks.

-Ulf
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

UlfZibis wrote:...
Because I'm afraid wine-staging is not stable enough, I have to wait for later version of wine-stable.
I tried again with Windows 7 setting in winecfg on 2.0.1, but it didn't help.
I also tried TreeSizeFree 3.4.0, it still returned

$ fixme:file:SetSearchPathMode (8001): stub
, but no fixme:file:SetDefaultDllDirectories (800): stub.

But very much thanks for the hint with QDirStat, it perfectly supersedes TreeSizeFree. There is only 1 little nit, I would like to enable following symlinks.
Np 8)

Well unless you have evidence that the latest Wine Staging release isn't "stable" enough (or has serious regressions) - then I would argue it can be just as "stable" as Wine stable.
After all Wine stable has only a trickle of back-ported bug fixes - so it has it's fair share of issues as well... The fact you can't even run your specific application - is pretty good evidence of this fact!

QDirStat 1.4 already handles following symbolic links on my system. So not sure what's going wrong there.

Bob
UlfZibis
Level 3
Level 3

Post by UlfZibis »

Bob Wya wrote:Well unless you have evidence that the latest Wine Staging release isn't "stable" enough (or has serious regressions) - then I would argue it can be just as "stable" as Wine stable.
After all Wine stable has only a trickle of back-ported bug fixes - so it has it's fair share of issues as well... The fact you can't even run your specific application - is pretty good evidence of this fact!
Thanks for encouraging me to use Wine Staging. It recently was "a step" to me to update from the "Ubuntu proved" 1.6.2 version to the PPA version. When I have time, I'll give it a try.
QDirStat 1.4 already handles following symbolic links on my system. So not sure what's going wrong there.
I too have installed the 1.4 version from LaunchPad PPA. In my home folder I have several folders as symlinks to a shared NTFS partition, such as Documents, Pictures etc. In QDirStat they are listed under <files> node, but with link icon, instead as expandable folders.

-Ulf
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

UlfZibis wrote: It recently was "a step" to me to update from the "Ubuntu proved" 1.6.2 version to the PPA version. When I have time, I'll give it a try.
I too have installed the 1.4 version from LaunchPad PPA. In my home folder I have several folders as symlinks to a shared NTFS partition, such as Documents, Pictures etc. In QDirStat they are listed under <files> node, but with link icon, instead as expandable folders.

-Ulf
That's not "proved" (sic), or even approved. It's the previous, previous branch final stable release - frozen in time. It's years out-of-date.
The repository is just stuck with that release - because of the nature of Ubuntu LTS releases...
The general staleness of Ubuntu/Debian packages is what encourages users onto the likes of Arch! :roll:
PPA bloat is not much fun...

I've got a very similar setup to yours. ext4 home folder with directory symbolic links to an NTFS partition.
QDirStat handles these like regular directories.

QDirStat doesn't seem to have a Cross File System Boundaries option - like K4DirStat had (the author's previous Qt4 version of this utility).
So I'm assuming this setting can't be toggled anymore??!!
  • What are the mount options for your NTFS partition (typically: this is mounted with NTFS-3g / Fuse)?
  • Does your user own the (linked to) directories on the NTFS partition?
Bob
UlfZibis
Level 3
Level 3

Post by UlfZibis »

Bob Wya wrote:I've got a very similar setup to yours. ext4 home folder with directory symbolic links to an NTFS partition.

QDirStat doesn't seem to have a Cross File System Boundaries option - like K4DirStat had (the author's previous Qt4 version of this utility).
Too bad. :(
  • What are the mount options for your NTFS partition (typically: this is mounted with NTFS-3g / Fuse)?
The mount is with NTFS-3G/FUSE via fstab:

UUID=ABCDE /mnt/Daten       ntfs    defaults,inherit,windows_names,hide_dot_files        0       0
[*]Does your user own the (linked to) directories on the NTFS partition?[/list]
Yes!
Ownership is mapped via .NTFS-3G/UserMapping:

ich::S-1-5-21-2466938724-721355277-839723094-1003
:win-users:S-1-5-21-2466938724-721355277-839723094-513
-Ulf
shundhammer

Post by shundhammer »

UlfZibis wrote:@ Bob Wys
-Ulf
It intentionally does not do that, primarily because this would lead to wrong accounting, both for symlinks to plain files and (worse) for symlinks to directories: All the symlinked items would be counted several times. The sums would be wrong, and the treemap display would be wrong. And you'd be in for nasty surprises if you tought you spotted a file you have multiple times and tried to remove one of them with one of the "cleanup" actions.

QDirStat / KDirStat both handle hard links, but that's because you simply cannot identify which one of a file with multiple hard links is the "original": All hard links are created equal, they all point to the same file with the same i-number. Thus, a file with 5 hard links is counted as 1/5 its size each time it is encountered in a directory tree.

Stefan Hundhammer (HuHa)
QDirStat / KDirStat author
shundhammer

Post by shundhammer »

Bob Wya wrote: I've got a very similar setup to yours. ext4 home folder with directory symbolic links to an NTFS partition.
Are you sure about that? Are that really symlinks that show up as

lrwxrwxrwx 1 myself mygroup 16 May  2 19:10 mydir -> ../some/other/dir
?

Bob Wya wrote: QDirStat doesn't seem to have a Cross File System Boundaries option - like K4DirStat had (the author's previous Qt4 version of this utility).
Yes, that option is still there, but there is no GUI config dialog for that yet: I was reluctant so far to create a "Misc" config dialog page with just two or three check boxes.

But you can easily edit that (among other things) manually in
~/.config/QDirStat/QDirStat.conf :

[DirectoryTree]
CrossFileSystems=false

--
Stefan Hundhammer (HuHa)
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

shundhammer wrote:
Bob Wya wrote: I've got a very similar setup to yours. ext4 home folder with directory symbolic links to an NTFS partition.
Bob Wya wrote: QDirStat doesn't seem to have a Cross File System Boundaries option - like K4DirStat had (the author's previous Qt4 version of this utility).
Yes, that option is still there, but there is no GUI config dialog for that yet: I was reluctant so far to create a "Misc" config dialog page with just two or three check boxes.

But you can easily edit that (among other things) manually in
~/.config/QDirStat/QDirStat.conf :

[DirectoryTree]
CrossFileSystems=false
--
Stefan Hundhammer (HuHa)
Very responsive!! Why FOSS will always be better than proprietary... IMHO 8)

Both k4dirstat and qdirstat have stopped crossing into my symbolically linked directories - when I retried (both of them) this evening... Tres weird??!!
It was definitely exhibiting this behaviour last week... I haven't enabled cross file-system boundaries for either application.

I can add a little comment - to be viewed as constructive criticism... :shock: :wink:
  • QDirStat looks an alien beast (almost no DE integration at all) on my Plasma 5 Desktop.
  • K4DirStat - looks really well integrated in comparison - especially with the newer Qt 5 builds...
I can see the motivation for moving to a more generic setup - but the use of a forced iconset makes QDirStat look like some fugly Java applet.
But I guess this can't be remedied if you're moving to a pure Qt toolkit solution??
I certainly appreciate the mime-type tagging that QDirStat does...
But I prefer the layout of the settings / options - available on K4DirStat.

Anyway... Thanks for continuing to support this great tool ! :)

Bob
UlfZibis
Level 3
Level 3

Post by UlfZibis »

Thanks for the clarification Stefan.
shundhammer wrote: It intentionally does not do that, primarily because this would lead to wrong accounting, ....
I never thought about following symlinks by default.
But but in some cases it would be helpful to have this option e.g. by a context menu function. If their size should be added to the upper level count or not indeed needs some extra thoughts.

Another suggestion: Please do not hide symlinks to directories to the <files> node. It's irritating not to see all "directories" in the expected level, consistent to a file manager's view. Doing this, easily would allow expanding those symlinks optionally.

Also I'm irritated, that "Up One Level" doesn't work on the top node.

A context menu "Properties" would be nice, e.g. for showing ownership, permissions ...

A context menu "Open In New Window" would be nice, especially on symlinks.

-Ulf