Wine menu entries in Desktop Environments

Questions about Wine on Linux
vine
Level 2
Level 2

Wine menu entries in Desktop Environments

Post by vine »

Hello:

As a relatively new (ie: full time) Linux user I have noticed that installing Wine in Linux is very straightforward.

It actually enabled me to install an MS based application that was a deal breaker keeping me from moving to Linux on a permanent basis: Pegasus Mail. =-)

One thing I have noticed while distro-hopping in my quest for the distribution that will make me 'want to stay' with it (almost there) is the way Wine installs itself on different desktop environments.

While with Xfce all the 'included' applications (Wine Launcher, Wine Command Line, Wine Reboot, etc.) end up all together in one folder, in MATE they end up scattered all over the 'More Applications' menu, with no 'Wine' folder to keep them.

Whatever inconvenience this may bring about, it can eventually be solved by editing the MATE menu, not an easy task, but certainly not an impossible one.

Now, what I would like to know/understand is this:

Is the placement of icon/shortcuts determined by Wine's installation behaviour which in turn is determined by some (configuration) file with instructions to that effect?

If so, is this configuration file something the package compiler (of an .RPM or .deb file) has to put together according to the DE used?

Or is this a problem with MATE that does not/is not able to interpret the instructions in the configuration file properly?

I'd be very grateful if someone could give me a lead as to how Wine determines where to place it's icons and 'shortcuts' within the MATE (or any other DE's for that matter) menu/submenus.

Note:
In case I have not expressed myself correctly, I am not referring to where MS based applications installed with/through Wine end up locating their own icons and shortcuts. I understand that these applications expect a Windows environment/desktop and not a Linux environment/desktop and usually get it right.

Thanks in advance,

V.
dimesio

Re: Wine menu entries in Desktop Environments

Post by dimesio »

Plain Wine doesn't create menu entries for any of its builtin programs and the WineHQ packages don't include any. If you got them from a distro or third party package, they were added by the packager, and that's who you would need to ask about their behavior.
vine
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Wine menu entries in Desktop Environments

Post by vine »

Hello:
dimesio wrote:Plain Wine doesn't create menu entries for any of its builtin programs and the WineHQ packages don't include any. If you got them from a distro or third party package, they were added by the packager, and that's who you would need to ask about their behavior.
Thank you very much for explaining this to me.

Best,

V.