TortoiseSVN 1.9.5

Questions about Wine on Linux
kokesssss

TortoiseSVN 1.9.5

Post by kokesssss »

Hi,

I successfully use TortoiseSVN 1.8.12 with wine. But because it's way old, I tried to install current version - 1.9.5. It crashes with message

wine: Call from 0x7bc53a89 to unimplemented function SHELL32.dll.SHCreateItemInKnownFolder, aborting

I found nothing about this problem on the internet. According to msdn, the function was first available in Vista. I've tried to switch wine to Windows XP, hoping the app will not call the function. Unfortunately it seems, they do not support XP in this version, because they still call that function.

Is there a way how to workaroung it?

Thanks
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: TortoiseSVN 1.9.5

Post by Bob Wya »

kokesssss wrote: ...
wine: Call from 0x7bc53a89 to unimplemented function SHELL32.dll.SHCreateItemInKnownFolder, aborting
There isn't any easy workaround for missing API calls in core-MS Windows dll components.
Overriding shell32.dll is not an option - the native Windows version won't work under Wine.

Yup. I checked the Wine and Wine Staging source - there isn't even a definition of this function at present (at Git Masters).
Wine has a a general push to get better Vista (and post-Vista) API compatibility at present (hence why WINEPREFIX's default to Windows 7 - since Wine version 2.2).

So I'd recommend filing a bug for your application. It's one of those easier bugs to close (does the API call fail or succeed) - so you're more likely to get Developer eyes on it!
See WineHQ Bugzilla ...

Sometimes you can get lucky and only a single API call needs to be stubbed or implemented... 8)
If you're not so lucky then "fixing" one issue leads to another almost immediately! :roll: :cry: :x

Bob