This Broke My SD Card

Questions about Wine on Linux
LordSelrahc

This Broke My SD Card

Post by LordSelrahc »

I just tried using this to download the windows version of steam. It asked where I wanted it to go, so I told it to do the SD Card (D://Program Files or whatever it showed up as). I ran the installer, wine asked me to download something, i accepted, it asked to download another thing, i accepted, the installer opened, wine asked me to download the second thing again, so i said no, because at that point i had about 300 MB left thanks to this bullshit. So, I ran the installer, blah blah blah, tried to run steam, said something didn't work, tried to open the sd card, nothing happened. I exited linux, sd card wont show its files. Went back in and out a bunch of times, i can no longer use my sd card. I haven't tried ejecting it and reinserting it, because I'm not entirely sure that will fix the problem, and it could delete all my files on it. So, what the hell am I supposed to do? Because as of right now, you just cost me 20 dollars. Thanks, assholes.
dimesio

Re: This Broke My SD Card

Post by dimesio »

The things Wine tries to download when creating a wineprefix are wine-mono and 32 & 64 bit wine-gecko. Steam won't work without the latter.

As for the SD card not showing its files, are you sure it was mounted?
Faalagorn
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Faalagorn »

LordSelrahc wrote:[...] Went back in and out a bunch of times, i can no longer use my sd card. I haven't tried ejecting it and reinserting it, because I'm not entirely sure that will fix the problem, and it could delete all my files on it. So, what the hell am I supposed to do? Because as of right now, you just cost me 20 dollars. Thanks, assholes.
Excerpt from Wine licence:
NO WARRANTY

15. BECAUSE THE LIBRARY IS LICENSED FREE OF CHARGE, THERE IS NO WARRANTY FOR THE LIBRARY, TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW. EXCEPT WHEN OTHERWISE STATED IN WRITING THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND/OR OTHER PARTIES PROVIDE THE LIBRARY "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. THE ENTIRE RISK AS TO THE QUALITY AND PERFORMANCE OF THE LIBRARY IS WITH YOU. SHOULD THE LIBRARY PROVE DEFECTIVE, YOU ASSUME THE COST OF ALL NECESSARY SERVICING, REPAIR OR CORRECTION.

16. IN NO EVENT UNLESS REQUIRED BY APPLICABLE LAW OR AGREED TO IN WRITING WILL ANY COPYRIGHT HOLDER, OR ANY OTHER PARTY WHO MAY MODIFY AND/OR REDISTRIBUTE THE LIBRARY AS PERMITTED ABOVE, BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR DAMAGES, INCLUDING ANY GENERAL, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF THE USE OR INABILITY TO USE THE LIBRARY (INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO LOSS OF DATA OR DATA BEING RENDERED INACCURATE OR LOSSES SUSTAINED BY YOU OR THIRD PARTIES OR A FAILURE OF THE LIBRARY TO OPERATE WITH ANY OTHER SOFTWARE), EVEN IF SUCH HOLDER OR OTHER PARTY HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
Also, your attitude doesn't make it better, too - I'm actually surprised a moderator gave you a polite reply.

From Forum Posting Guide:
DO NOT
[...]
- Use excessive punctuation or capitalization, profanity, or so-called "leet speak". Generally these things annoy readers and as a result they might be less inclined to respond to your question.
As for your actual card though, try to format it using fdisk or parted. Maybe it's not the reason here, but the file system might have been damaged while the card itself is working just fine.
mainliner
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mainliner »

LordSelrahc wrote:I haven't tried ejecting it and reinserting it, because I'm not entirely sure that will fix the problem, and it could delete all my files on it. So, what the hell am I supposed to do? Because as of right now, you just cost me 20 dollars. Thanks, assholes.
I'm just going to laugh at you because you're an angry child. Ejecting and reinserting an SD may or may not fix the issue but it certain will not in and or itself delete any files.
LordSelrahc wrote:I just tried using this to download the windows version of steam...wine asked me to download something, i accepted, it asked to download another thing, i accepted, the installer opened, wine asked me to download the second thing again, so i said no, because at that point i had about 300 MB left thanks to this bullshit.[
This quote sums up why you're the asshole. a) Why try to run the Windows version of Steam when a native Linux version is available? Dick move 1. Then an application asks you to do "something", you don't know what, but you assume and click Yeah, why not I don't know and you do it again and again and then decide to click no cause you're out of disk space. You have no idea what you've done or why. Coincidentally you cannot access your SC card and you correlate that to your bull in a china shop approach to Wine and blame Wine. Dik move 2. You have no idea if there is a problem with your SD card or how that may have happened. Jog on.

:lol:
LordSelrahc

Post by LordSelrahc »

Also, your attitude doesn't make it better, too - I'm actually surprised a moderator gave you a polite reply.
Applause to the moderator for putting up with me.
The things Wine tries to download when creating a wineprefix are wine-mono and 32 & 64 bit wine-gecko. Steam won't work without the latter.

As for the SD card not showing its files, are you sure it was mounted?
I have absolutely no idea about any of these. And yes, the SD card was mounted. (This I actually know I did.)
I haven't tried ejecting it and reinserting it, because I'm not entirely sure that will fix the problem, and it could delete all my files on it.
I really don't know why I didn't do this. Probably just paranoia from the already stressed out scenario I was in.
Why try to run the Windows version of Steam when a native Linux version is available? Dick move
I have a bunch of windows only games, I would like to be able to play them. And before you go yelling "Just build a PC its simple its cheap etc." I'm broke. It would have taken a few years to get a pc.
Then an application asks you to do "something", you don't know what, but you assume and click Yeah, why not I don't know and you do it again and again and then decide to click no cause you're out of disk space. You have no idea what you've done or why. Coincidentally you cannot access your SC card and you correlate that to your bull in a china shop approach to Wine and blame Wine. Dik move
It was WINE that asked me to do "something", and that "something" was do the necessary stuff to install steam. I had reason to put some of the blame on WINE.
I'm just going to laugh at you because you're an angry child.
Yeah...