WINE installation issues + trying to run Embird embroidery

Questions about Wine on Linux
vertigo

WINE installation issues + trying to run Embird embroidery

Post by vertigo »

I'm running Mint 17 64-bit and am trying to get Embird embroidery software running but am having all sorts of problems. I originally had WINE installed without any issues (stable branch), but the program would install then fail to run. I tried it with WINE set up to emulate XP, 7, and 8. Set as XP, I got one error (don't remember what it said), and set as 7/8 I got an error that the runtime was terminated. After doing some searching online and not finding much, I thought I'd try submitting a report, but it just sat there not populating the window, and it also said to try in the development branch first. So I tried installing that, and when it didn't work, thinking maybe it was because I already had the stable branch installed, I uninstalled it with "sudo apt-get --purge remove wine" and tried again, but got the same error ("E: unable to locate package winehq-devel"). I tried reinstalling the stable branch and got the same error (with winehq-stable). I've followed all the steps at https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu multiple times and can't get it to work. I even tried the step for Mint 18.1 just to see if it would help, though it probably just made things worse, and I'm now getting the following:

Code: Select all

$ sudo apt-get install --install-recommends winehq-devel
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 winehq-devel : Depends: wine-devel (= 2.7.0~xenial)
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
I have limited Linux experience, and it's been years and I never messed with WINE back then, so this is all very new. I'd appreciate any help getting it back up and running (preferably the devel branch for best compatibility and the ability to submit reports) and hopefully getting the Embird software running. Somebody in another thread said they've seen reports and videos of it working in WINE, and it runs on Macs in Parallels, so I'm hopeful I can get it working. if not, I'll likely be looking at adding a second video card and using unRAID to run Windows for it and Linux for everything else. Also, I'm not at all attached to Mint, so I can use a different distro if that would make this easier and/or improve my odds of getting it to work.
dimesio

Re: WINE installation issues + trying to run Embird embroide

Post by dimesio »

If you're using Mint 17, you need to substitute "trusty" for "xenial" in the command line given for Mint 18.1.
vertigo

Post by vertigo »

Thanks but, unfortunately, I'm still getting the same error that I posted in the code segment above. I suppose it could be because I already ran the command with 'xenial,' but I have no idea how to undo whatever I did if that's the case. I tried uninstalling WINE again to see if that would clear whatever was done by doing that, but it just said it isn't installed and didn't do anything. Also, if I'm supposed to use that command with 'trusty,' I'm curious why it worked the first time, when I installed the stable branch, just using the normal (non-Mint-specific) commands.

I also tried 'sudo apt-get autoremove' followed by the above command and 'sudo apt-get update' to see if I could clear out anything causing conflicts, and at the end of the update I get this:

W: Duplicate sources.list entry https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/ trusty/main amd64 Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/dl.winehq.org_wine-builds_ubuntu_dists_trusty_main_binary-amd64_Packages)
W: Duplicate sources.list entry https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/ trusty/main i386 Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/dl.winehq.org_wine-builds_ubuntu_dists_trusty_main_binary-i386_Packages)
W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems
but running it again doesn't fix it, just keeps saying the same thing. Any suggestions of what I should try next?
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

vertigo wrote:... Any suggestions of what I should try next?
What's the output from this command:

find /etc/apt -regex ".*\/sources\.list.*" -type f -print0  | xargs -0 -I % sh -c "echo %: ; awk '{ if (\$1 ~ /^deb/) print \$0 }' %"
??

Ta
Bob