Connect to SQL Server with integrated security

Questions about Wine on Linux
emayoral

Connect to SQL Server with integrated security

Post by emayoral »

Hi, everybody!

I would like to run a legacy corporate application made with Visual Basic. So far I get the application to start and show the user interface, but the application tries to connect to an external SQL Server using Windows integrated security. The application allows to configure the server name and database name, but other than that, I cannot touch the connection string.

I am running it from an ubuntu 16.04 desktop, with wine 1.8, mdac 2.7 & 2.8 installed with winetricks.

I have unixodbc and freetds installed. I can connect with both using my windows credentials using isql / tsql

$ wine --version
wine-1.8

$ winetricks list-installed
------------------------------------------------------
You are using a 64-bit WINEPREFIX. If you encounter problems, please retest in a clean 32-bit WINEPREFIX before reporting a bug.
------------------------------------------------------
mdac27
mdac28
msvcirt

If I run the application while capturing the traffic with wireshark, I see it is sending an NTLMSSP_AUTH packet with my desktop name, but the username is missing, so the login fails.

7 0.049371 10.23.53.39 10.4.163.25 TDS 234 SSPI message, NTLMSSP_AUTH, User: plataforma09\ <----- missing username here :-(

Is there some configuration in wine where I can specify the Windows domain credentials to use for this kind of operations which require Windows credentials, such as connecting to a SQL server with integrated security?

Is there some alternative approach I can use, like using some proxy which can accept unauthenticated TDS and connect to the real SQL backend with configured windows credentials?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I think this is a very common use case for legacy corporate apps.

Best regards,