COD-UO buffer overrun

Questions about Wine on Linux
dirtcrew51m

COD-UO buffer overrun

Post by dirtcrew51m »

OS-Linux Mint, latest version, Game starts to load, get the message "buffer overrun", crashes, the screen goes to a larger resolution, I swapped between ATI and Nvidia video cards, read that might be an issue, I am now using an ATI radeon hd4760. I asked other forums and they sent me here. COD-UO is the only reason I use windows. Mint is on its own hard drive and dont want to keep switching drives to use linux and play cod-uo.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: COD-UO buffer overrun

Post by Bob Wya »

dirtcrew51m wrote:OS-Linux Mint, latest version, Game starts to load, get the message "buffer overrun", crashes, the screen goes to a larger resolution, I swapped between ATI and Nvidia video cards, read that might be an issue, I am now using an ATI radeon hd4760. I asked other forums and they sent me here. COD-UO is the only reason I use windows. Mint is on its own hard drive and dont want to keep switching drives to use linux and play cod-uo.
it's one of my pet hates - vague statements like "I'm running the latest version"... As are pointless abreviations for game names!! :roll:
Linux Mint 18.1 - please!!

The ATI Radeon HD4760 was a great card... under Windows. Under Linux it is a complete turkey. The radeon r600 driver for this card is probably still in an awful state...
On my Radeon 4560 I could play Crysis or medium settings - on Windows. On Linux - I couldn't even play UT3 games - via Wine - due to the awful GL support of the AMD driver.

AMD are slowly (read: very slowly) "turning the titanic around" - but only for much newer AMD graphics cards / drivers...
What Nvidia card have you got? That generally will give better gaming performance/stability - even as far back as the 8000 series.

See the base version WineHQ AppDB page: Call of Duty 1 for some required gameplay fixes...

I'd recommend getting the latest version (currently 2.5) of Wine Staging...
So install the winehq-staging package - see WineHQ Download: Ubuntu ...

Bob
dirtcrew51m

Post by dirtcrew51m »

Ok its Mint 17.3. One of my pet hates is wanting so bad to get away from windows, use linux, and get COD-UO to work and not dual boot. I have been asking for a while, literally years on and off, tried Ubuntu, Suse, and now Mint, which I like the best, but nobody can give an answer.

I put my nvidia gforce gts 450 back in, the game in windows likes it better. I will look at the links you gave and see if I can make it work. I will see what version of wine and upgrade if needed.

Thanks for the info.
ls_boy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ls_boy »

The opengl extension sting is too long. That is why it is crashing.

Using the closed nVidia drivers, you need to prepend an environment variable prior to
evoking wine.

env __GL_ExtensionStringVersion=17700 wine CoDUOSP.exe