Problems with printers

Questions about Wine on Linux
utente2014
Level 2
Level 2

Problems with printers

Post by utente2014 »

Using Office 2007 and wine on Debian 8.7 operating system.
I made the updates of programs and system. After this updates some printers only one present in /etc/printcap is displayed and you can use the other, in the Office2007 (Word, Excel etc) menu are gone.
All the printers in CUPS were properly displayed and can be used in Debian.
How do I solve this problem in order to print it again with all system printers into MS Office 2007?
Thank you.
dimesio

Re: Problems with printers

Post by dimesio »

Missing 32 bit CUPS is the most common cause of printers not showing up in Wine.
utente2014
Level 2
Level 2

Post by utente2014 »

I find Cups the system correctly displays the printers.
Excuse me, the solution is to reinstall it?
Do you have a link?
Thank you.
Attachments
cups.png
lahmbi5678
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lahmbi5678 »

Even if you are on 64bit linux, wine still will need the 32bit version of cups.
utente2014
Level 2
Level 2

Post by utente2014 »

lahmbi5678 wrote:Even if you are on 64bit linux, wine still will need the 32bit version of cups.
So there is no solution?
lahmbi5678
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lahmbi5678 »

Did you install the 32bit version of cups? I'm quite sure, you can install the 32bit cup libs parallel to its 64bit versions. There shouldn't be any issues (famous last words?).
utente2014
Level 2
Level 2

Post by utente2014 »

I did some tests. Basically if I install the new version of Skypeforlinux beta 5.1.0.1, after the restart and the elimination of redundant packets, with the command "sudo apt-get autoremove", Office loses the printer configuration. Bye.
lahmbi5678
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lahmbi5678 »

What do you mean by "lost printer configuration"? Did you loose just some settings or complete printer/ability to print?

Please, wine isn't responsible for skypeforlinux and you messing up your system. Maybe apt-get thinks, that e.g. the 32bit cup libs aren't required anymore. Not sure, if this would be an Ubuntu bug. The wine package recommends a number of 32bit libs to be installed, but afaik there's no hard dependency, you can install wine without them.

Did things work as expected (before you installed skypeforlinux), were you able to print?

You could look in your package manager, if the 32bit cup libs are still installed, if not, reinstall them.
utente2014
Level 2
Level 2

Post by utente2014 »

lahmbi5678 wrote:What do you mean by "lost printer configuration"? Did you loose just some settings or complete printer/ability to print?

Please, wine isn't responsible for skypeforlinux and you messing up your system. Maybe apt-get thinks, that e.g. the 32bit cup libs aren't required anymore. Not sure, if this would be an Ubuntu bug. The wine package recommends a number of 32bit libs to be installed, but afaik there's no hard dependency, you can install wine without them.

Did things work as expected (before you installed skypeforlinux), were you able to print?

You could look in your package manager, if the 32bit cup libs are still installed, if not, reinstall them.
I mean that from the list of printers Office literally disappear.
Using debian. I think this is the problem, in fact, with "sudo apt-get remove autoremove" several packages are remove.
I reinstalled the entire operating system including wine works now but now I have not reinstalled skypeforlinux beta version. The old version of Skype and not one problem.
lahmbi5678
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lahmbi5678 »

Sorry, I read over the fact that you are using debian. I assume, that you followed the instructions on https://wiki.winehq.org/Debian .

Nevertheless, complete reinstall shouldn't be necessary. I just would have reinstalled wine.