Outlive will install fine with Wine BUT now asks I insert CD

Questions about Wine on Linux
fusion809
Level 1
Level 1

Outlive will install fine with Wine BUT now asks I insert CD

Post by fusion809 »

Hi,

Wine has been able to install Outlive for me just fine. The problem is that after when I run Outlive I go to "Single Player" and it asks me to insert a CD drive which is already inserted. I have run:

Code: Select all

ln -s /mnt/cdrom ~/.wine/dosdevices/d:
where I manually mounted /dev/cdrom on /mnt/cdrom before running this line. Is there something I'm missing here that I should be doing?

Thanks for your time,
Brenton
dimesio

Re: Outlive will install fine with Wine BUT now asks I inser

Post by dimesio »

You are missing the symlink to the device, ~/.wine/dosdevices/d::. But why are you creating these manually? Running winecfg with the cd mounted and clicking Autodetect should work.
fusion809
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fusion809 »

I did the symlink manually because of this in the Wine docs https://www.winehq.org/docs/wineusr-gui ... ain#AEN605. But I will be willing to give your way a go.
fusion809
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fusion809 »

The reason I created the symlink manually was the Wine docs seemed to indicate to https://www.winehq.org/docs/wineusr-gui ... ain#AEN605. I used winecfg and it's made no difference... Still asking me for the disk.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

The most common reason for that problem is copy protection. Some games will not work in Wine without a no-cd patch. That's something you would have to find and apply on your own; helping you with that is against forum rules.

You didn't mention what Wine version you're using. If it's not the latest development release, try upgrading before you try anything else.