System debugger - Meta Trader 4

Questions about Wine on Linux
davidlt
Level 1
Level 1

System debugger - Meta Trader 4

Post by davidlt »

I have installed wine and have also installed MetaTrader4.com for windows following this guide: https://www.mql5.com/en/articles/1358

When I try to run it I get this error message (see attachment pic):
A debugger has been found running in your system.
Please, unload it from memory and restart your program.

How do I do that?

Thanks, David
Attachments
wine-error-msg.png
wine-error-msg.png (37.72 KiB) Viewed 4251 times
dimesio

Re: System debugger - Meta Trader 4

Post by dimesio »

Are you sure you're running Metatrader 4, not 5? Version 5 is the current one, and the most recent test report in the AppDB for it mentions this problem, but only with the 64 bit version. https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... &iId=19984

No one seems to have filed a bug for this, so please file one. Since the problem supposedly isn't present in the 32 bit version installed in a 32 bit wineprefix, try that.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

davidlt wrote:I have installed wine and have also installed MetaTrader4.com for windows following this guide: https://www.mql5.com/en/articles/1358
I tested out Metatrader 5 with Wine Staging 2.4 - using both a 32-bit WINEPREFIX and then a 64-bit WINEPREFIX.
In the latter the (64-bit) application installer crashes and the application itself won't launch. Basically the guide you are following is junk (well it is 5 years old)...

So I'd recommend using a 32-bit WINEPREFIX to install Metatrader (version 4 or 5) - see WineHQ FAQ: 6.5.3 How do I create a 32 bit wineprefix on a 64 bit system?

Bob
davidlt
Level 1
Level 1

Post by davidlt »

Thanks guys, I will uninstall and bleachbit and give it a go again. I'll report back shortly.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

davidlt wrote:Thanks guys, I will uninstall and bleachbit and give it a go again. I'll report back shortly.
You don't need to uninstall anything. Every WINEPREFIX on a system is it's own, largely self-enclosed virtual Windows installaltion.
Just create a new 32-bit WINEPREFIX.

Talking about using bleachbit - in this instance - is like going hunting with a gatling gun!! Maybe it would be prudent to read through the whole of the WineHQ FAQ... :roll:

All you need is something like:

Code: Select all

export WINEPREFIX=~/.wine32
export WINEARCH=win32
wineboot -u
To create a seperate 32-bit WINEPREFIX with it's root at the "${HOME}/.wine32" directory.

I've got a directory of about 100 WINEPREFIX's. If I want to test a new / different program - I just create a new WINEPREFIX... 8)

Bob
davidlt
Level 1
Level 1

Post by davidlt »

I'm a newbie, so I wouldn't be able to figure out how to do that. I did however look for a 32 bit version and there are no options for that. I think their site detects my 64bit OS and gives me that one. IDK
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

davidlt wrote:I'm a newbie, so I wouldn't be able to figure out how to do that. I did however look for a 32 bit version and there are no options for that. I think their site detects my 64bit OS and gives me that one. IDK
All Windows installers are 32-bit. The installer detects the Architecture of the Windows install - it is run on.
The installer then uses this information to download and install the correct build of Meta Trader (32-bit or 64-bit).

To install Meta Trader to a 32-bit WINEPREFIX you need to create a 32-bit WINEPREFIX:

export WINEPREFIX=~/.wine32
export WINEARCH=win32
wineboot -u
That will create the new directory:

/home/${USER}/.wine32
The contents of this new directory are similar to:

drwxr-xr-x 2 user users 4.0K Mar 25 19:02 dosdevices/
drwxr-xr-x 5 user users 4.0K Mar 25 19:02 drive_c/
-rw-r--r-- 1 user users 1.5M Mar 25 19:04 system.reg
-rw-r--r-- 1 user users    8 Mar 25 19:02 .update-timestamp
-rw-r--r-- 1 user users 3.3K Mar 25 19:00 userdef.reg
-rw-r--r-- 1 user users 109K Mar 25 19:05 user.reg
The anatomy of these is:
  • dosdevices - directory of Virtual Windows drives (C: , D: , etc. - formed by symbolic links)
  • drive_c - directory corresponding to the Windows C: (system) drive
  • *.reg - Wine's equivalent of the Windows registry files (text-based - rather than binary which Windows uses)
To use your new WINEPREFIX you need to put the WINEPREFIX path into your shell environment:

export WINEPREFIX="${HOME}/.wine32"
Then any subsequent wine commands (in this shell) will refer to this specific virtual Windows installation only.

To test your shell environment:

env | grep WINEPREFIX
WINEPREFIX=/home/user/.wine32
Then you're good to go. To setup Meta Trader 5:

wine ~/Downloads/mt5setup.exe
To run and test the installed version of Meta Trader:

export WINEPREFIX="${HOME}/.wine32"
cd "${WINEPREFIX}/drive_c/Program Files/MetaTrader"
wine terminal.exe
That's it. 8)

Bob
davidlt
Level 1
Level 1

Post by davidlt »

Wow, thanks Bob. That worked perfectly. Greatly appreciated.