uTorrent (2.0.4) with WINE (1.7.30) - Tracker Error 12157

Questions about Wine on Linux
BlueDragon
Level 2
Level 2

uTorrent (2.0.4) with WINE (1.7.30) - Tracker Error 12157

Post by BlueDragon »

Hi all,

Can someone please help me to find why uTorrent v2.0.4 (or 1.8.5) is having a tracker error 12157 on WINE v1.7.30. According to my researches it seems to be linked with some SSL certificate story. According to this link there should be a setting to change in the IE options. I also found that it whas a bug in a previous WINE version:
Bugs fixed in 1.2.2: ... 21096 utorrent drops error 12157 when using a https tracker
Any hint or help how to solve this problem would be much appreciated.
dimesio

Re: uTorrent (2.0.4) with WINE (1.7.30) - Tracker Error 1215

Post by dimesio »

Start by upgrading Wine; 1.7.30 is over two years old and no longer supported. The current development release is 2.4.
BlueDragon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by BlueDragon »

Thanks dimesio for this useful hint, which I believe very likely will not solve the problem anyway. But why not?! Little problem for me is that I'm running Mageia 5 and AFAIK there is no official package with a version more recent than this one. Since I'm quite new on Linux, actually I don't find it so easy to compile a new version, besides the fact that it can break my system in terms of package management.

Any other suggestions so far? :)
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

BlueDragon wrote:Little problem for me is that I'm running Mageia 5 and AFAIK there is no official package with a version more recent than this one.
https://wiki.winehq.org/Mageia
BlueDragon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by BlueDragon »

Thanks dimesio for this useful link. Now I have the next (almost usual) problem of dependencies:

Code: Select all

[root@localhost Software]# urpmi wine-staging64
A requested package cannot be installed:
wine-staging64-2.4-1.mga5.x86_64 (due to unsatisfied wine-staging-common[== 1:2.4-1.mga5])
This package is not available on the officials Mageia repos (inclusive debug and test). :?
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Please follow the instructions on the wiki page I linked you to.
BlueDragon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by BlueDragon »

I did dimesio, I did... :)

This is typically a package dependency problem, like I'm having all the time when I grab packages from other sources than the official Mageia repositories. Within the package is the information about all the needed other files / versions. If these are not available on the added media sources (repos), than you will typically get a result like I posted above. I tried to find this missing dependency but was not successful.

What did I not do/follow according to you? :wink:
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

[root@localhost Software]# urpmi wine-staging64
That is not the name of the WineHQ package and not what the wiki page says.
BlueDragon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by BlueDragon »

[root@localhost Software]# urpmi winehq-staging
A requested package cannot be installed:
wine-staging64-2.4-1.mga5.x86_64 (due to unsatisfied wine-staging-common[== 1:2.4-1.mga5])
Better? :wink:

FWIW:

[root@localhost Software]# urpmq --fuzzy staging -r | more
wine-staging-debuginfo-2.4-1.mga5
wine-staging64-2.4-1.mga5
wine-staging64-devel-2.4-1.mga5
winehq-staging-2.4-1.mga5
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

@BlueDragon,

Did you follow the instructions:

sudo urpmi.addmedia "WineHQ 32-bit" https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/mageia/5/i586/
sudo urpmi.addmedia "WineHQ 64-bit" https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/mageia/5/x86_64/
sudo urpmi.update -a
sudo urpmi winehq-staging
That seems pretty clear to me!! I haven't used Madrake/Mandriva/Mageia for years now...

wine-staging-common is a 32-bit (only) package - so it would appear you've not followed the first step in this simple sequence... :roll:

Bob
BlueDragon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by BlueDragon »

If you are using Mageia 5:

sudo urpmi.addmedia "WineHQ 32-bit" https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/mageia/5/i586/

If you are using 64-bit Mageia 5, also add:

sudo urpmi.addmedia "WineHQ 64-bit" https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/mageia/5/x86_64/
Was it this also add.... :shock:
Quite tricky and by far not obvious, having to add two repositories, the 32-bit one AND the 64-bit one. Will test that later and report back.

Thanks!
lahmbi5678
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lahmbi5678 »

Yes, this is a bit misleading, since usually you have to choose between 32 and 64bit version. The Mageia developers seemed to have chosen to split their wine package strictly due to 32/64bit, this may be a clever choice in almost every case, but 64bit wine will always need both its 32 and 64bit binaries. In theory you could have a pure 64bit wine, but you wouldn't have much fun with it.

I'm a bit inclined to think, that everything was better in the good old days, when everything was 32bit, and that evil 16bit times were already deep in the past ;-)
BlueDragon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by BlueDragon »

Ok, so here I would like to report about my experiences and their results.

I appreciated the hints and the help from dimesio, which finally helped me to solve my main problem. Still I want to add that probably the whole problem would have been solved quite faster, with another type of communication. Yes, maybe I'm just a dump noob in the Linux (Mageia) world but after all, if this OS community wants to grow, maybe it would be a good idea to support a bit better the people in seek of help. Throwing short phrases with statements like dimesio did above is not really the finest art, nor is it really helping. Now some like Bob might think that all this is "pretty clear", so excuse me, yes I must be too dump. But to think that I have to add a 32-bit repository for a 64-bit system is simply beyond my dump logics. :mrgreen:

After I totally screwed my Mageia system (only with urpmi commands) to the point that I had to throw my backup image on it, to bring it back to a functional state (at least the dump noob thought about that before), I could install the latest wineHQ staging version without errors. BTW, I never broke a Windows system during dozen of years, just by trying to install some programme... but that's another topic.

Best news: as opposed to what I was thinking and writing before, uTorrent 2.0.4 is working perfectly with the latest wineHQ staging v2.4!! :D :D

Now I'm just having another little problem. Since I would like to run 2 uT instances in parallel, I have to find out how to do that in wine. I read there is this way:

WINEPREFIX="$HOME/.wine-second" wine second-program.exe 
But until now I could not figure out how to have this run with an icon in the KDE launcher menu. I think it did not even work on the command line so far. Anyway, I will continue to experiment and report about the solution later, if I can find it.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

BlueDragon wrote:Now I'm just having another little problem. Since I would like to run 2 uT instances in parallel, I have to find out how to do that in wine. I read there is this way:

WINEPREFIX="$HOME/.wine-second" wine second-program.exe 
But until now I could not figure out how to have this run with an icon in the KDE launcher menu. I think it did not even work on the command line so far. Anyway, I will continue to experiment and report about the solution later, if I can find it.
You have to create a second wineprefix and install utorrent to that, too. https://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#Can_I_store ... 2F.wine.3F
BlueDragon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by BlueDragon »

Thanks dimesio for the new hint. Actually I went trough all this and I spent hours testing around (and rebooting several times, when wine was blocking my whole system). I think I grasped quite well the needed procedure. The problem seems to be rather that wine is very buggy. Let me explain:

First of all it was not obvious to find out how to assign/map the drive letters (D: E: etc), since the new installation did not create any entry in the KDE launcher menu. So by double clicking on the utorrent.exe within Dolphin I could launch it, but it was pretty useless as long as I could not map my old windows drive letters. So after some more researches I understood that I should type winecfg in the console to open the configurator, which normally would allow me to map the drives (paths). Also I chose Windows XP as system. That did the trick for one instance of uTorrent alone.

Then I tried to create a second wineprefix according to this useful short article. This should have allowed me to select the needed OS version and to map the drive letters as needed, before to launch the second uTorrent instance within this second wineprefix (environment). Now at that level something seems totally buggy: wine refuses somehow to keep the settings and always brings back totally wrong and partly meaningless mappings. I tried to circumvent this problem in several ways. First by copying the first wineprefix files (which partly kept the settings) to another directory renamed like .wine-second. I tried first to only copy the registry files but that was useless. Then also the dosdevices structure but that did not help neither. Finally the whole bunch of files and that seemed to do the trick. Still when I recreate a new wineprefix, the drive mapping settings are simply not saved. It's making me nuts...

Besides this problem there is another one: I could never launch uTorrent.exe from the console, within the second wineprefix. I always got an error pointing in the direction that the path was not correct. Took me again 1-2 hours more and I came to the conclusion, that apparently wine cannot address a file, which is not in the wineprefix environment (actually this dosdevices file structure or simply the virtual/fake c:). So again, if I cannot keep the needed drive letters mapped as needed, it's impossible to have the uTorrent.exe in there, except by copying it over or by using a symlink. Anyway it becomes a mess, because the uTorrent.exe is actually not really needing an installation but it needs to read / save data to a bunch of other files (resume.dat etc), within it's directory (so called encapsulated installation here). What remains a mystery to me is where wine is saving these files, if they are not there to start. They were not created / saved within the dosdevices structure, as I would have expected. Having to symlink all the files may be a solution but it's a hassle.

Finally I tried to have both instances work in parallel but that did not work at all. I don't know if it's because I simply duplicated (copy-renamed) the winprefixes. Maybe there is something saved in the registry which is creating this problem:

err:winediag:WSASocketW Failed to create a socket of type SOCK_RAW, this requires special permissions.
err:winediag:WSASocketW Failed to create a socket of type SOCK_RAW, this requires special permissions.
err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x499fc0 "?" wait timed out in thread 0034, blocked by 0009, retrying (60 sec)
I guess for now I'm done... :?
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Reading through this, I don't see anything about installing utorrent to the second wineprefix. You need to. Copying files may work for some simple apps, but is not supported. Anything with an installer that makes registry entries, which is most installers, will fail.

It also sounds like you may have tried to run the first install from the second wineprefix. That's akin to trying to run an app installed on one computer from a different computer. https://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#How_can_I_r ... mputers.3F

You also haven't posted how you are trying to run things from the command line. Did you follow the instructions in https://wiki.winehq.org/Wine_User%27s_G ... mmand_line ?

As for Wine not saving custom drive mappings, there is a longstanding bug for that, https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=22080. Clicking Autodetect on the Drives tab in winecfg will map more letters, and those will be saved (though admittedly the choices may be rather strange).

But it's not clear to me why you are mapping drives manually at all. A fresh wineprefix will have c: and z: mapped, and that will give you access to your whole system (z: points to the root directory). Note that if you remove z:, Wine will not have access to anything outside the wineprefix, so if you did that as part of your manual mapping, you broke things yourself. If you are operating under the assumption that the drive letters need to correspond to physical drives and match what you had in Windows, you are mistaken.
BlueDragon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by BlueDragon »

Hmmm... Many interesting things you wrote. Thank you for that again. Ok one by one the replies, actually in the reverse order, because it seems more practical to me.
dimesio wrote:But it's not clear to me why you are mapping drives manually at all.
Because the basic idea would be to load uT in wine and to have my many torrents work like they did on my former WinXP. One click! As opposed to what some may have (or many, I don't care), I'm not having these torrents in one directory and as a matter of fact, they are spread over many different HDDs. For obvious privacy reasons I will not bring more concrete information but I think you get what I mean. So now, if you want me to start to take every torrent (even possibly grouped) one by one to assign a new path, we can stop the exercise right away. I may rather spend my hours for migrating my torrents to a Linux compatible client. :wink:
dimesio wrote:Note that if you remove z:, Wine will not have access to anything outside the wineprefix, so if you did that as part of your manual mapping, you broke things yourself. If you are operating under the assumption that the drive letters need to correspond to physical drives and match what you had in Windows, you are mistaken.
Yes I was actually wondering why this z: mapping to / was always restored again. Logically that makes sense of course, talking about having access to anything outside wineprefix. This being said, my "mistaken" approach / view is actually working, or maybe I should say, would always work, if wine would not be buggy, as you confirmed yourself above. Maybe I was simply lucky (apparently sometimes wine is saving and keeping the mappings as it should, sometimes not) but in my first wineprefix uT is running happily without Z: being mapped to /. On my WinXP Z: was mapped to some external HDD and thus it should be and stay. In my first winprefix, all the disks are mapped to the path like they were originally and it's working. Example: Z: path: "/run/media/rjm/Elements-1.5TB/" or F: path: "/media/shakti/" If my physical drives (or my partitions) are mounted somewhere, I don't see where I'm mistaken in my approach.
dimesio wrote:Clicking Autodetect on the Drives tab in winecfg will map more letters, and those will be saved (though admittedly the choices may be rather strange).
Interesting. I tried one time this button and if I remember well, it just froze wine. But as I stated above, if the solution goes over having to remap every torrent in uT itself, it's pretty pointless for my scenario. I can confirm this strange behaviour, like others did in this bug report you mentioned. It's sad and suprising that with all this time and versions in between, this is still an unsolved issue.
dimesio wrote:You also haven't posted how you are trying to run things from the command line. Did you follow the instructions in https://wiki.winehq.org/Wine_User%27s_G ... mmand_line ?
No, I did not see that. I read all the FAQ and other sources but missed this important one. I will try and report back later.
dimesio wrote:Reading through this, I don't see anything about installing utorrent to the second wineprefix. You need to. Copying files may work for some simple apps, but is not supported. Anything with an installer that makes registry entries, which is most installers, will fail.

It also sounds like you may have tried to run the first install from the second wineprefix. That's akin to trying to run an app installed on one computer from a different computer. https://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#How_can_I_r ... mputers.3F
Yes, you read well, nothing about installing there. It's not needed. The exe is looking for files over the registry but if they can't be found, it's assuming an encapsulated "installation" (sort of portable) and that's it.

And yes again, it should be like if it's on another machine. Could be different versions of the exe also for instance. On WinXP there is a option to append to the exe, if you want two instances to run in parallel. Logically it should also work in wine. Did not test that way though until now.
lahmbi5678
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lahmbi5678 »

You wrote, that you couldn't even start uTorrent instance in terminal, did you "cd" into the iTunes .exe folder, enforce the correct wineprefix (either by export command or by using shell variable "WINEPREFIX=... wine blabla.exe" and then start from iTunes .exe directory? It should at least start, even if you copied the wineprefix, if not then there's something wrong on your side.

If you really want to run two instances of uTorrent, please don't run them on the same data (files/folders downloaded/seeded), at least not with writing access. I'm quite sure, that would be a recipe for disaster, especially if you are using Windows partitions.
BlueDragon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by BlueDragon »

So it was by far not trivial but in the end I achieved (more or less) my aim: have 2 uTorrent 2.0.4 instances run in parallel with wine 2.4 staging on Linux (Mageia 5) :D

The overall stability seems good but there are details which are not working normally. One example can be the vertical scrolling bar not always working, depending of the detail info pane (F5) toggle. This bug is not constant and not really a problem. More cumbersome is the auto loading of .torrents (watch), which is not working at all. This point can really be a huge drawback, depending on how you plan to use the client.

Another annoyance is the wine explorer, which for instance does not allow to copy paste a file / folder.

Besides, under the condition that you managed to have the drives staying mapped as needed within winecfg, basically the content of resume.dat is loaded as it should. Biggest annoyance here though is, that somehow (not sure why) the information about what file was skipped in the torrents (partial downloads) went lost. So if you force re-check before setting this back as it was, you are going to lose a part of your data (the .dat file keeping the part of the chunk not placeable within the downloaded files). In other words, you will typically have to re-download at least one piece (99.9% completed). Force re-checking instead of starting the torrent is a good idea here, except if you don't mind to have uTorrent downloading the missing pieces automatically upon completion of the recheck. This being said, strangely I also lost several pieces of data here and there. I'm not sure why, the disk seems in perfect state (smart) but I assume that it's when the data was not used (read, maybe even refreshed, re-written) for a longer period of time (1-3 years in my case, can't tell exactly). This has to do with the HDD magnetic platters, of topic here. [Hint: 'badblocks -snv' is your friend]

So here a summary (see above for details) of all what is needed for future reference, I hope it can help some others:
1) Install wine (latest version)
2) Start the wine configurator with 'winecfg' (easiest default way). This will create a wineprefix (environment) in your home directory called .wine by default.
3) Select Windows XP and map the drives as needed. Save (ok) and start the configurator again, to see if the drive settings where retained or not. If not, or just partly, try to fiddle a bit with 'Autodetect' or 'Show advanced' and filling also 'Device' (like /dev/sda). Do this until you reach what you need. It's buggy, remember, but I succeeded like that, even if it seems stupid. :lol:
4) Start uTorrent like this basically:

wine start /unix '/home/user/path/utorrent.exe' (remember that your old resume.dat and settings.dat must be in the same directory, besides other optional files)
NB: There are other ways but this is the safest IMHO.
5) Only if you want to run a second instance in parallel: either copy and rename the .wine directory and all it's content to something like .wine-second or build a second wineprefix with

WINEPREFIX="$HOME/.wine-second" winecfg
Then start the second instance with:

WINEPREFIX="$HOME/.wine-second" wine start /unix '/home/user/path/utorrent2.exe'
NB: You may want to edit your launcher and search for an uT icon image, so it's looking neat in the launcher menu.

Thanks again to all and especially to dimesio for your valuable inputs!
BlueDragon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by BlueDragon »

Did not find a way to edit my post so here it is:
BlueDragon wrote:More cumbersome is the auto loading of .torrents (watch), which is not working at all. This point can really be a huge drawback, depending on how you plan to use the client.
Have to correct myself about this point. Actually it's working as it should! (Did not see it, because the given torrent was actually already loaded.)
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

BlueDragon wrote:Did not find a way to edit my post so here it is:
BlueDragon wrote:More cumbersome is the auto loading of .torrents (watch), which is not working at all. This point can really be a huge drawback, depending on how you plan to use the client.
Have to correct myself about this point. Actually it's working as it should! (Did not see it, because the given torrent was actually already loaded.)
Btw I meant to ask... Any reason why you're not using a native torrent client?

Personally I've got qbittorrent running on my NAS it works a treat (the headless webui is very useable)...
I've also got the regular qbittorrent client installed on my desktop.
It's one the nicest torrent clients I've ever had the pleasure to use... I can highly recommend it!

Bob
BlueDragon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by BlueDragon »

Bob Wya wrote:Btw I meant to ask... Any reason why you're not using a native torrent client?

Personally I've got qbittorrent running on my NAS it works a treat (the headless webui is very useable)...
I've also got the regular qbittorrent client installed on my desktop.
It's one the nicest torrent clients I've ever had the pleasure to use... I can highly recommend it!
Hmmm... I'm happy for you of course :) A quick glance at this list will show you how buggy that piece of software actually is.

Testing it during a couple of hours it already modified my torrents data without asking anything. A simple force re-check is not even working, when you auto-download (watch) metainfo files. Then it built me wonderfully 2 or 3 times 73 nested folders, while I was trying to change the path location of the data. Besides the detailed info you might have is by far not comparable with uTorrent features. Try to find what piece is missing or corrupted when all you can see is an information like 98% completed at file level. The fact alone that you cannot even have the files appear in one overview is already getting on my nerves (you must open the collapsed tree and drill down for every file). The way the torrent (data) path is presented is a mess: you have an incomplete 'save path' information in the 'general' tab. Next part of the path is displayed under name in the content tab. Totally confusing. Then just try to rename the name in the content tab and you will have qBittorrent start to create the whole torrent metainfo file directory structure without asking you anything. You did not even start the torrent so far, "paused" as it stupidly says because stopped is not even existing. If you like to have a client write and modify data on your disks, without actually doing anything (like renaming an empty path) then for sure it will not disturb you.

I could write a whole book about things like that. These were just some quick examples. My personal conclusion: a total NO GO!! If you play with a few torrents you may be happy, but if you are having thousands spread over TB of dozen disks... better forget right away about it presently. Sure it has some future... probably a few years more and we may talk about it again. :P After all why do you think uTorrent is out there for so many years? It's just a shame not being open source, that's the real negative side of uTorrent, for the rest it's the best client one can dream to have (besides Tixati, but it's blacklisted by most of the private trackers). That is why still presently I'm struggling to have ruTorrent work, because uTorrent even if basically working over wine, is really not the same feeling than natively on windows. It's slow (for hundreds of torrents) in terms of GUI commands and the wine explorer is really highly unpleasant to use. Just the fact that you have to double click on + next to folders is making me nuts. Besides there are also other problems, if you want to save torrents on a btrfs partition and stuff alike. Anyway, I hope you got a bit my point. :wink:
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

Well horses for courses and all that... qbittorent works fine my reletatively modest needs (single 3Tb ext4 disk)... All I need is a working webui really... 8)
Never mind the fact that if you don't like FOSS software - you've at least got a venue to request some changes (which I presume you didn't bother to do)...
Propriatary software doesn't offer you that kind of choice...

I can't imagine trying to manage 1000's of torrents with a Windows Torrent client running under Wine... That really sounds awful... :cry:
Combined with btrfs = recipe for disaster surely!! :shock: :o

Bob