Odd sound problem

Questions about Wine on Linux
nematoad
Level 1
Level 1

Odd sound problem

Post by nematoad »

I have two versions of Wine installed. One, a plain Wine installation and one under Playonlinux.

I have sound on the plain version, I can run the config option and the sound test works and it shows my Audigy2 sound card.

On the Playonlinux version, there is no sound, no audio card shown and naturally the sound test does not work.

Some of my games work, those on the plain version. Unfortunately EVE Online runs but without sound, not much of a loss as it removes the new Aura voice which irritates me, and Skyrim plain refuses to run. These two are running under Playonlinux.

I have no idea why or how the two versions are so different, they are both at version 2.4. Nor do I know how to get the Playonlinux one to detect my sound card.

If anyone has any idea how i can resolve this issue I would be most grateful.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Odd sound problem

Post by Bob Wya »

nematoad wrote:I have two versions of Wine installed. One, a plain Wine installation and one under Playonlinux.
I have no idea why or how the two versions are so different, they are both at version 2.4. Nor do I know how to get the Playonlinux one to detect my sound card.

If anyone has any idea how i can resolve this issue I would be most grateful.
Play On Linux is not supported on these forums - see WineHQ FAQ: 8.7 I used a third party application (PlayOnLinux, WineBottler, etc.) to install or manage applications in Wine and need help
Your question simply re-enforces this policy.

Most of the Play On Linux prebuilt wine bundles cause issues for people - at some stage (when their distributions libraries go out-of-sync with the ones the POL bundled wine version was built against).

You're best off re-directing your questions to the offending party @ playonlinux forums: PlayOnLinux ...
It's a problem of their own creation after all!! :lol:

Bob
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

As Bob said, POL is not supported here, so you'll have to ask for help with the sound problem on their forum.

We can try to help with the issues you're experiencing in plain Wine. Skyrim works fine on my system. If your Windows version is not set to XP, try changing it to that. If that's not the issue, post terminal output from trying to run it in plain Wine.
nematoad
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nematoad »

Thanks for the advice. I will contact Playonlinux to see what they say.

The only reason I used it is because plain Wine would not run with either of the two games.