Euro Truck Simulator 2 stopped running

Questions about Wine on Linux
gongalov

Euro Truck Simulator 2 stopped running

Post by gongalov »

Hi
I tried to install Euro Truck Simulator 2 via Steam on OpenSUSE Leap 42.2 x86_64 and it worked fine on default wine version that is shipped with this distro (don't know what it is). But today, after installing system updates ETS2 exitted with error message from wine:

The program eurotrucks2.exe has encountered a serious problem and needs to close.

This can be caused by a problem in the program or a deficiency in Wine. You may want to check the Application Database for tips about running this application.

After that I tried to run the game via Konsole like this:

Code: Select all

wine C:\\windows\\command\\start.exe steam://rungameid/227300
and this command returned:

fixme:exec:SHELL_execute flags ignored: 0x00000100
ilian@linux-home2:~> fixme:ver:GetCurrentPackageId (0x33e460 (nil)): stub
fixme:process:ProcessIdToSessionId Unsupported for other processes.
and the same message box "eurotrucks2.exe has encountered a serious problem and needs to close". Please help me, I'm not a full linux newbie but I don't know what to do to get this game work again.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Euro Truck Simulator 2 stopped running

Post by Bob Wya »

gongalov wrote:Hi
I tried to install Euro Truck Simulator 2 via Steam on OpenSUSE Leap 42.2 x86_64 and it worked fine on default wine version that is shipped with this distro (don't know what it is). But today, after installing system updates ETS2 exitted with error message from wine:
After that I tried to run the game via Konsole like this:

wine C:\\windows\\command\\start.exe steam://rungameid/227300
and this command returned:

fixme:exec:SHELL_execute flags ignored: 0x00000100
ilian@linux-home2:~> fixme:ver:GetCurrentPackageId (0x33e460 (nil)): stub
fixme:process:ProcessIdToSessionId Unsupported for other processes.
and the same message box "eurotrucks2.exe has encountered a serious problem and needs to close". Please help me, I'm not a full linux newbie but I don't know what to do to get this game work again.
Just a quick, but obvious question... Have you tried the native (Linux) Steam Client build of Euro Truck Simulator?
I've played a few hours of that... Seems to work OK for me!!
I'd only fire Euro Truck Simulator up under Wine to actually test for Wine issues - rather than just to enjoy the game!

As for your Wine issue... Can you launch the game directly from the Steam interface?

Bob
gongalov

Post by gongalov »

Bob Wya wrote:
Just a quick, but obvious question... Have you tried the native (Linux) Steam Client build of Euro Truck Simulator?
I've played a few hours of that... Seems to work OK for me!!
I'd only fire Euro Truck Simulator up under Wine to actually test for Wine issues - rather than just to enjoy the game!

As for your Wine issue... Can you launch the game directly from the Steam interface?

Bob
Hi
yes, I launch the game from the Steam app and recieve that message. On steam website there is only .deb package, so I installed steam from opensuse repo. I bought ETS2 so it's in my library, I installed it and launch it from there. I thought it installed the linux version.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

gongalov wrote: Hi
yes, I launch the game from the Steam app and recieve that message. On steam website there is only .deb package, so I installed steam from opensuse repo. I bought ETS2 so it's in my library, I installed it and launch it from there. I thought it installed the linux version.
Que? :?

You only need Wine to run the Windows Steam client and native Windows games.
Euro Truck Simulator should show up in your list of purchased SteamOS / Linux games - in the native Linux Steam client.
The native Linux Steam client will install the native Linux version of Euro Truck Simulator.

Please can you state more clearly what you are trying to do? You sound very confused!! Now getting me confused as well!! 8)

Bob
gongalov

Post by gongalov »

Case solved, I reinstalled Steam and Wine and all goes fine