VT Transaction +

Questions about Wine on Linux
JohnB

VT Transaction +

Post by JohnB »

I'm new to Linux, and just at the start of learning about it. I'm using Mint 18.1 Cinnamon 64-bit, and installed Wine 1:1.6.2-Oubuntu14 using Software Manager.

I'm trying to install the UK accounting program VT Transaction +, but can't get it to work. I've tried to follow the entry in the App DB https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... &iId=14452, and the forum topic on VT Cashbook, that is a cut down free version of the software viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9059. Transaction + is the full paid for version, and is fully compatible with Cashbook.

Has anyone been successful in installing it since these posts were made, as they are old?

When installing, I found that the installation log reported that files had been copied to the system32 directory, but in fact they hadn't, so I copied them manually before reinstalling. I've also noticed that some of the filenames installed are in upper case, and some in lower case. This includes OLEAUT32.DLL, OLEPRO32.DLL and a few others, that already existed with lower case names, so there are now two versions installed. Is this OK, or could it be part of the problem?

When I try to run the program, I get an error message "The following error occurred attempting to update the list of recent file names: Object doesn't support this action". Clicking OK opens the program window, but with the error message "Run-time error '-2147221166 (80040152)' Automation error". Clicking OK closes the program.

Can anyone help?

John
dimesio

Re: VT Transaction +

Post by dimesio »

Start by upgrading Wine; 1.6.2 is over 3 years old. Use the WineHQ packages. https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu

If it still doesn't work, post terminal output. https://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#How_can_I_g ... tput.29.3F
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

JohnB wrote:...
When installing, I found that the installation log reported that files had been copied to the system32 directory, but in fact they hadn't, so I copied them manually before reinstalling. I've also noticed that some of the filenames installed are in upper case, and some in lower case. This includes OLEAUT32.DLL, OLEPRO32.DLL and a few others, that already existed with lower case names, so there are now two versions installed. Is this OK, or could it be part of the problem?
John
NTFS is a case insensitive filesystem - but most Linux native filesystems are case sensitive.
You should always avoid having naming clashes (i.e. 2+ filename that differ only in case) in your WINEPREFIX's.
I tend to use the native Windows 7zip tool, run using wine, to extract files from rar/tar archives in my WINEPREFIX's.
Then wine will handle the case insensitivity for you.

No... Don't blindly follow what the AppDB test results suggest - especially if they were posted, 4 years ago, in 2013!!

Make sure you update your winetricks script as well!! The current version of the script is:

Code: Select all

winetricks --version
20170207 - sha1sum: e5f13357325ea935fa6543b8088bf7f8d05f65f1
See Github: Winetricks/winetricks ...
See WineHQ FAQ: Winetricks ...

You're better off using a 32-bit Wineprefix for your experiments - see WineHQ FAQ: 6.5.3 How do I create a 32 bit wineprefix on a 64 bit system?
That will improve compatibiity with most 32-bit Windows software.

Then you should be able to run:

Code: Select all

winetricks mfc42 vb6run
without needing to resort to hacky workarounds. But test your application, without using these overrides, first!!

Bob
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Thanks. I'll try both suggestions later.

John