SketchUp 8 blank windows?

Questions about Wine on Linux
rebeltaz
Level 2
Level 2

SketchUp 8 blank windows?

Post by rebeltaz »

I have installed Sketchup 8.016846 and it runs fine with a couple of exceptions. One, any time I [save as] or [export], the menus will still respond, but the design window is frozen. The only way to regain control is to restart Sketchup. Secondly, when I click on [Claim Credit] I am taken to the google window, but when I go back to Sketchup, the window in which I need to enter the code is blank. I cannot do anything with it except close it.

I am running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. I don't know if this matters or not, but I thought I'd post this too:

Code: Select all

home:~$ lshw -c video
  *-display               
       description: VGA compatible controller
       product: Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
       vendor: Intel Corporation
       physical id: 2
       bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
       version: 02
       width: 64 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
       configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
       resources: irq:26 memory:d0000000-d03fffff memory:c0000000-cfffffff ioport:5050(size=8)
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: SketchUp 8 blank windows?

Post by Bob Wya »

rebeltaz wrote:I have installed Sketchup 8.016846 and it runs fine with a couple of exceptions. One, any time I [save as] or [export], the menus will still respond, but the design window is frozen. The only way to regain control is to restart Sketchup. Secondly, when I click on [Claim Credit] I am taken to the google window, but when I go back to Sketchup, the window in which I need to enter the code is blank. I cannot do anything with it except close it.

I am running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. I don't know if this matters or not, but I thought I'd post this too: ...
Uhmmm... no not really... :cry: But you used Forum Code tags so I'm happy 8)

What is useful to know is: Console output and the exact command(s) you entered, to run/install Sketchup, are the most useful data sources for diagnosing any further issues...

Bob
rebeltaz
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rebeltaz »

Bob Wya wrote: Uhmmm... no not really... :cry: But you used Forum Code tags so I'm happy 8)

What is useful to know is: Console output and the exact command(s) you entered, to run/install Sketchup, are the most useful data sources for diagnosing any further issues...

Bob
lol... I like code tags, but after that, I feel I may let you down here...

When I installed wine originally, I just installed it through apt-get. My laptop is running 64-bit Ubuntu, but whether the wine is 2- or 64-bit... I can't say. When I looked just now, I see that the version is 1.6.2. I looked in the repository and the only versions there are 1.6 and 1.4. I didn't know about the wine repositories. I will try that and let you know what happens.

I do have a question, though. That page says to enable i386 architecture. What exactly does that do? Does it have any effect on 64-bit programs installed?

I appreciate your advice!
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

rebeltaz wrote:
lol... I like code tags, but after that, I feel I may let you down here...

When I installed wine originally, I just installed it through apt-get. My laptop is running 64-bit Ubuntu, but whether the wine is 2- or 64-bit... I can't say. When I looked just now, I see that the version is 1.6.2. I looked in the repository and the only versions there are 1.6 and 1.4. I didn't know about the wine repositories. I will try that and let you know what happens.

I do have a question, though. That page says to enable i386 architecture. What exactly does that do? Does it have any effect on 64-bit programs installed?

I appreciate your advice!
hah, hah...
You've used forum Code tags...
You've put the name of the application you're trying to run (under Wine) in the forum thread title...
What could possibly go wrong? 8)

To install wine on a 64-bit Linux distribution you'll need to enable the i386 architecture (32-bit mulitlib). Otherwise your wine setup will not be useable...
You really have to have the 32-bit libraries of all of wine's runtime dependent libraries - in addition to the native Linux 64-bit libraries of all of wine's runtime dependent libraries...
See WineHQ FAQ: 2.6 Is there a 64 bit Wine?.
If you don't install these 32-bit Linux libraries then you'll only be able to run 64-bit Windows applications - that includes the builtin OS applications... So you won't be able to do much!! :shock:

In fact it's often recommended to use 32-bit Wineprefix (see WineHQ FAQ: 6.5 Wineprefixes) for greater compatibility with Windows libraries and/ or applications.
For example the native MS .Net runtimes will only install correctly in a 32-bit Wineprefix.

The most reliable way to tell what version of wine you're using/ have installed is typing (on the command line):

wine --version
Hope that clears things up a little!
Bob
rebeltaz
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rebeltaz »

Well... I completely removed wine, winetricks and playonlinux. I installed winehg-devel from the ppa and reinstalled SketchUp. The SketchUp display window still hangs when I export or save-as and I still cannot use the "claim credit" feature... I think because I cannot get ie6,7, or 8 to install. Plus, now there is no wine sub menu :(
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

rebeltaz wrote:Well... I completely removed wine, winetricks and playonlinux. I installed winehg-devel from the ppa and reinstalled SketchUp. The SketchUp display window still hangs when I export or save-as and I still cannot use the "claim credit" feature... I think because I cannot get ie6,7, or 8 to install. Plus, now there is no wine sub menu :(
I've tested Google Sketchup 8.0.4811 (32-bit) in a 32-bit Wineprefix.
Tested with Wine Staging 2.1 - no overrides or MS libraries/software added.
The application runs OK. I don't see any issues with the Save As or Export features.
Not sure what the "claim credit" feature is (so I didn't test that).

You don't need to install a native copy of Internet Explorer - the builtin wine-gecko package is sufficient.

Perhaps you could post some console output - from running Sketchup and using the "broken" features you've described?
See WineHQ FAQ: 10.1.1 How can I get a debugging log (a.k.a. terminal output)?

Ta
Bob

FYI console commands used to test installation and running Sketchup:

cd /mnt/robs-rog-laptop/linux_shared/robert/wineprefixes/
export WINEPREFIX="${PWD}/google_sketchup8_32"
export WINEARCH=win32
wineboot -u
winetricks sandbox
cd google_sketchup8_32/drive_c
cp ~/Downloads/GoogleSketchUpWEN.exe .
wine GoogleSketchUpWEN.exe
cd "Program Files/Google/Google SketchUp 8"
wine SketchUp.exe
rebeltaz
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rebeltaz »

I tried [Claim Credit] in SketchUp running under VirtualBox and it has issues there as well - different issues, but issues nevertheless - so I won't worry about that one right now.

OK... I followed your step and created a 32-bit prefix. I installed SketchUp to that. I opened one of my .skp files and exported it to a .png file. As soon as I did that, I tried to pan, zoom and draw on the model. While the tools changed, nothing affected the model and when I exited SketchUp, it didn't warn me about an unsaved file. Here is the log file (it wouldn't let me upload it as a file):

fixme:actctx:parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.VC80.MFCLOC" (8.0.50608.0)
fixme:wininet:InternetSetOptionW INTERNET_OPTION_SEND/RECEIVE_TIMEOUT/DATA_SEND_TIMEOUT 30000
fixme:wininet:InternetSetOptionW INTERNET_OPTION_SEND/RECEIVE_TIMEOUT/DATA_SEND_TIMEOUT 30000
fixme:wininet:InternetSetOptionW INTERNET_OPTION_CONNECT_RETRIES 0
fixme:msvcrt:type_info_name_internal_method type_info_node parameter ignored

Intrinsic Alchemy v3.3 Beta-0702 (Dynamic/Release)
Built by <unknown> on Fri Jul 2 00:00:00 2010

fixme:wininet:InternetCheckConnectionW (L"http://www.google.com" 1 0)
fixme:wgl:X11DRV_wglChoosePixelFormatARB unused pfAttribFList
fixme:ieframe:PersistStreamInit_InitNew (0x1ead30)
fixme:ieframe:navigate_url Unsupported args (Flags 0x32e458 {VT_I4: 4}; TargetFrameName 0x32e468 {VT_BSTR: (null)})
fixme:iphlpapi:NotifyIpInterfaceChange (family 0, callback 0x6a0cb608, context 0x2c34518, init_notify 0, handle 0xc78e794): stub
fixme:imm:ImmGetDescriptionW (0x4090409, (nil), 0): semi stub
fixme:imm:ImmGetDescriptionW (0x4090409, 0xec452a8, 9): semi stub
fixme:imm:ImmGetOpenStatus (0x36f3c60): semi-stub
fixme:imm:ImmReleaseContext (0x10116, 0x36f3c60): stub
fixme:ntdll:NtLockFile I/O completion on lock not implemented yet
fixme:ieframe:BrowserService_GetTravelLog 0x1eb790 0x32bf78
fixme:mshtml:OleControl_OnAmbientPropertyChange not supported AMBIENT_USERAGENT
fixme:ieframe:ClientSite_GetContainer (0x1eadfc)->(0x32bf38)
fixme:mshtml:nsChannel_GetContentDisposition (0x37042f0)->(0x32b778)
fixme:mshtml:nsChannel_GetContentDispositionHeader (0x37042f0)->(0x32aecc)
fixme:ieframe:ClientSite_GetContainer (0x1eadfc)->(0x32cf38)
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x32c5c4,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:ieframe:navigate_url Unsupported args (Flags 0x32e420 {VT_I4: 4}; TargetFrameName 0x32e430 {VT_BSTR: (null)})
fixme:wininet:InternetSetOptionW INTERNET_OPTION_CONNECT_RETRIES 0
fixme:ieframe:DocHostUIHandler_GetDropTarget (0x1eadfc)
fixme:ieframe:ClientSite_GetContainer (0x1eadfc)->(0x32f358)
fixme:mshtml:nsChannel_GetContentDisposition (0x3709c70)->(0x32df08)
fixme:mshtml:nsChannel_GetContentDispositionHeader (0x3709c70)->(0x32d65c)
fixme:ieframe:PropertyNotifySink_OnChanged unimplemented dispid 1005
fixme:ieframe:DocHostUIHandler_GetDropTarget (0x1eadfc)
fixme:ntdll:EtwRegisterTraceGuidsW (0x69edfc08, 0x12258a58, {509962e0-406b-46f4-99ba-5a009f8d2225}, 3, 0x12254aa0, (null), (null), 0x12258a88): stub
fixme:ntdll:EtwRegisterTraceGuidsW   register trace class {a3da04e0-57d7-482a-a1c1-61da5f95bacb}
fixme:ntdll:EtwRegisterTraceGuidsW   register trace class {917b96b1-ecad-4dab-a760-8d49027748ae}
fixme:ntdll:EtwRegisterTraceGuidsW   register trace class {26d1e091-0ae7-4f49-a554-4214445c505c}
fixme:mshtml:nsChannel_AsyncOpen2 (0x375d970)->(0xec42800)
fixme:jscript:JScriptProperty_SetProperty Unimplemented property 70000001
fixme:jscript:JScriptProperty_SetProperty Unimplemented property 70000002
fixme:ieframe:PropertyNotifySink_OnChanged unimplemented dispid 1005
fixme:mshtml:nsChannel_GetContentDispositionHeader (0x37640c8)->(0x32df38)
fixme:mshtml:nsChannel_GetContentLength (0x37640c8)->(0x32dd30)
fixme:actctx:parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.VC80.MFCLOC" (8.0.50608.0)
fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (0xffe73d8) stub
fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (0x10824ab8) stub
fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (0x10831efc) stub
fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (0xffe4ab8) stub
fixme:win:LockWindowUpdate (0x2002e), partial stub!
fixme:win:LockWindowUpdate ((nil)), partial stub!
fixme:win:LockWindowUpdate (0x2002e), partial stub!
fixme:win:LockWindowUpdate ((nil)), partial stub!
fixme:ieframe:ControlSite_OnFocus (0x1eadfc)->(0)
fixme:ieframe:InPlaceSite_OnInPlaceDeactivateEx fNoRedraw (1) ignored
fixme:mshtml:HlinkTarget_SetBrowseContext (0x1ec470)->((nil))
fixme:ieframe:OleInPlaceObject_InPlaceDeactivate (0x1ead30)
fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (0x30473d8) stub
fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (0x3064ab8) stub
fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (0x3051efc) stub
fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (0x10a400a0) stub
fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (0x783ccb48) stub
fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (0x248dbf8) stub
fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (0x2540120) stub
fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (0x27902f0) stub
fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (0x27a74f8) stub
fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (0x26d6658) stub
fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (0x25d2540) stub
fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (0x1d23070) stub
fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (0x3fb630) stub
fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (0x1823550) stub
fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (0x18fbd70) stub
fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (0x1c23e08) stub
fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (0x3c2c40) stub
fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (0x1d0a7c8) stub
fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (0x16887f8) stub
fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (0x102807b8) stub
(eval):3119: warning: parenthesize argument(s) for future version

(eval):3142: warning: parenthesize argument(s) for future version

key = Units

value = 0.0

Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

rebeltaz wrote:I tried [Claim Credit] in SketchUp running under VirtualBox and it has issues there as well - different issues, but issues nevertheless - so I won't worry about that one right now.

OK... I followed your step and created a 32-bit prefix. I installed SketchUp to that. I opened one of my .skp files and exported it to a .png file. As soon as I did that, I tried to pan, zoom and draw on the model. While the tools changed, nothing affected the model and when I exited SketchUp, it didn't warn me about an unsaved file. Here is the log file (it wouldn't let me upload it as a file):

Google Sketchup requires working GL acceleration - when run under Wine (hence the console spam above). So you need working native Linux drivers for your graphics card (32-bit & 64-bit). I doubt Sketchup will run very well in VirtualBox as a result.

You might get better (bare metal) results, for Sketchup, by removing the old Intel graphics driver (see xserver-xorg-video-intel package in Ubuntu) and moving to using the modesetting driver.
Newer graphics drivers / xorg stacks, are available, in PPA's - but these can be unstable / have regressions.
I don't use Intel integrated graphcs myself - so it's definitely not something I feel qualified to advise on!

I don't use Sketchup myself and the version you are testing with is obsolete - so I can't easily download models to test.

Bob
rebeltaz
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rebeltaz »

I thought maybe it might be because of the graphics driver - I've had graphics issues with MakeHuman as well - so I tried getting help in the Ubuntu forums, but so far no one has bothered to reply. Thank you for trying :)
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

rebeltaz wrote:I thought maybe it might be because of the graphics driver - I've had graphics issues with MakeHuman as well - so I tried getting help in the Ubuntu forums, but so far no one has bothered to reply. Thank you for trying :)
I can only add that I built up a system for a friend - I used an Intel Haswell CPU, with just the Intel integrated graphics. Purging the Intel graphics driver sorted out some major compositing issues. Then you are just relying on the mesa driver stack.
I installed Ubuntu Mate 16.04 on his system.

There's random questions all over the Internet about this (Intel graphics) issue. See, for example, this Reddit thread: It is probably time to ditch xf86-video-intel ...

Bob
rebeltaz
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rebeltaz »

Bob Wya wrote:
rebeltaz wrote:I thought maybe it might be because of the graphics driver - I've had graphics issues with MakeHuman as well - so I tried getting help in the Ubuntu forums, but so far no one has bothered to reply. Thank you for trying :)
I can only add that I built up a system for a friend - I used an Intel Haswell CPU, with just the Intel integrated graphics. Purging the Intel graphics driver sorted out some major compositing issues. Then you are just relying on the mesa driver stack.

There's random questions all over the Internet about this (Intel graphics) issue. See, for example, this Reddit thread: It is probably time to ditch xf86-video-intel ...

Bob

I'm sorry.. I just now saw that you had replied. My graphics driver seems to be xserver-xorg-video-intel, not quite the same, although I too am running 16.04 Mate, so I'm kind of hesitant to just remove that...
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

I should also add there is a OMG Ubuntu: Stable Mesa PPA available now (supporting Ubuntu 16.04 and 16.10).

Along with using the Intel IGP with modesetting - that would get you the newer mesa driver goodness!

Of course if you don't mind that Sketchup doesn't work very well...

Bob
rebeltaz
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rebeltaz »

Oh, no... it's annoying as.... I have to restart SU every time I save something. I restarted that program a dozen times last night! uugh.

I will definitely try that. Thanks.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

rebeltaz wrote:Oh, no... it's annoying as.... I have to restart SU every time I save something. I restarted that program a dozen times last night! uugh.

I will definitely try that. Thanks.
On the subject of being afraid to break your <insert OS here> install - I used to be in the same camp as you...!!

That is till I became familar with Clonezilla and fsarchiver (both of which can create an image of your installed system).
I've successfully backed up a Windows 7 NTFS partition with fsarchiver. Which is impressive - because it archives at a filesystem level (so has to rely on the ntfs-3g fuse driver) - not the block level like Clonezilla.

I like Clonezilla so much - I've built a custom re-spin of Ubuntu with this tool included! 8)

Bob
rebeltaz
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rebeltaz »

rebeltaz wrote:
Bob Wya wrote:

Bob
Well.... I installed the mesa drivers tonight... nail biting experience :) but they installed with no trouble and everything seemed ok... except that SU still freezes the design window when anything is seved or exported :(

bummer...

I'm sorry.. I just now saw that you had replied. My graphics driver seems to be xserver-xorg-video-intel, not quite the same, although I too am running 16.04 Mate, so I'm kind of hesitant to just remove that...