Can't connect to the internet

Questions about Wine on Linux
MEATPANTS

Can't connect to the internet

Post by MEATPANTS »

I can't seem to be able to access the internet. Everything seems to be working fine other than that. Please help, I just want to play hearthstone. Sorry, if I'm kind of a n00b.

I'm running 64-bit Ubuntu 16.04.1
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Can't connect to the internet

Post by Bob Wya »

No worries 8)

Have you installed the current release of winehq-devel, 2.0, as opposed to the obsolete 1.6.2 release Ubuntu are still shipping? :roll:
See WineHQ Downloads: Ubuntu ...

You can check whether you have Internet access for wine applications quite easily using the default Internet Explorer install.
This is basically just a wrapper for Wine-Gecko which is a modified build of the Firefox 47 code. If you're interested - see WineHQ Wine-Gecko ...

If you run (assuming a 64-bit Wineprefix is active):

Code: Select all

cd "${WINEPREFIX:-${HOME}/.wine}/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Internet Explorer/"
wine "iexplore.exe"
Using this rudimentary web browser allows you to determine if you "really" don't have any Internet access (hint: you probably do!!)

You then probably want to wade through the suggestions on the WineHQ AppDB: Battle.net page (the net/game engine powering Hearthstone).

From the AppDB page it appears Hearthstone might need:

Code: Select all

winetricks corefonts
and a 32-bit Wineprefix to install to - see WineHQ FAQ: 6.5.3 How do I create a 32 bit wineprefix on a 64 bit system?

So create a clean 32-bit Wineprefix, using winehq-devel 2.0, install the corefonts and then re-install your game. Then re-test.

Ta
Bob