window manager losing wine application window(s)

Questions about Wine on Linux
murgatroid
Level 1
Level 1

window manager losing wine application window(s)

Post by murgatroid »

Running an couple of applications in Wine 2.0 in Ubuntu 16.04 with the Mate 1.16 desktop. The application (ISA v1&2 from http://www.scripture4all.org/) runs fine, only the window manager in Mate occasionally loses the window completely and I can't get it back via alt-tab or running the task manager in wine. I usually have the Wine application running in one of Mate's virtual desktops, and often before the window does it's disappearing act, I will see the application docked in the bottom panel along with my other applications even when the Wine application is not within the focused virtual desktop; this shouldn't be.

I posted this to a Mate forum thinking it likely a Mate problem. The advice I got was to try replacing the 'marco' window manager with 'metacity'. This I tried without success. Same exact problem. The window managers are clearly getting confused somehow.

Any ideas? How do I go about running this down?
madewokherd
Level 4
Level 4

Re: window manager losing wine application window(s)

Post by madewokherd »

It could be a Wine bug specific to this application and nothing to do with your window manager. You could test for that by enabling a virtual desktop in winecfg. I suggest filing a bug in the Wine bugzilla.
murgatroid
Level 1
Level 1

Post by murgatroid »

Enabled the virtual desktop in winecfg and the apps running in the virutual desktop aren't experiencing any problems (other than performance)... What does this tell me??
madewokherd
Level 4
Level 4

Post by madewokherd »

It's related to the window manager or Wine's interaction with it. I suggest filing a bug and setting the component to winex11.drv.
murgatroid
Level 1
Level 1

Post by murgatroid »

Okay. Submitted a report and indicated component winex11.drv. (Tkx. Had no idea about that.) Will see one of those characters can come up with something. Thanks for the help..