Newbie, no Internet joy.

Questions about Wine on Linux
Wilbur Cobb

Newbie, no Internet joy.

Post by Wilbur Cobb »

So I decided to try Skype for Windows on WINE after Skype for Linux mysteriously stopped working. So far, no good.

Not only does Skype startup die with some complaint about TLS being disabled (it isn't) but I notice IE can't successully bring up any pages.

From IE I get connected and the site title, but then a long wait and maybe an error.

At first it was wine-1.6.2, which is what apt-get gave me. That had a missing DLL entry point, so I went to wine-2.0-rc4. Both failed to bring up pages in IE.

I installed IE8 and the "cumulative security update" via winetricks. I should mention that wintricks seemed to hang installing the update.

I've got two Wifi adapters. The onboard one is flaky, so I've got the dongle. It's not a problem with other apps, but maybe it confuses WINE somehow?

Running as root makes no difference.

An awful lot of command line messages. I don't know what to excerpt.

uname -srvmpio
Linux 3.16.0-4-686-pae #1 SMP Debian 3.16.7-ckt11-1+deb8u6 (2015-11-09) i686 unknown unknown GNU/Linux

On an Acer Aspire One, 532h-2788
dimesio

Re: Newbie, no Internet joy.

Post by dimesio »

First: never run Wine as root. https://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#Should_I_ru ... as_root.3F

Delete the wineprefix you've messed up and start over with a clean one. Follow the howto in the the AppDB. https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... &iId=31461
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Newbie, no Internet joy.

Post by Bob Wya »

Wilbur Cobb wrote:...
An awful lot of command line messages. I don't know what to excerpt.
Hiya Wilbur Cobb,

If you've still got a problem, with Skype, after following the WineHQ AppDB notes...
Then please do post a console log. Please don't excerpt anything from the log!

See WineHQ FAQ: 10.1.1 How can I get a debugging log (a.k.a. terminal output)?
  • Please use the forum

Code: Select all

Code
    tags (<200 lines) to paste the log inline or compress & attach the log file to a followup post here...
  • Or alternatively paste the log on a pastebin-type site...
Bob