Hpi_Print.exe error message!

Questions about Wine on Linux
crust
Level 1
Level 1

Hpi_Print.exe error message!

Post by crust »

Hi all and thank you for this great place to use and discuss Wine!

I am trying to move totally off of windows under virtualbox. To that effort I have installed Ubuntu Mate 16.04 which comes with wine 1.6.

So far I have Photoshop7, clikndesign3d running at 100%. Now I am working on an old printing program called HP Photoprint 215.

The program works fine transfering the photos to the grid and resizing them to the different sizes at the correct resolution. Everything works perfectly until I get to the printing stage and thats when it all goes wrong.

I keep getting this error message "Hpi_Print.exe and have to close the program. Does anyone have a clue to what might be causing this.

Thanks for your help-crust-may the penguin be with you!
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Hpi_Print.exe error message!

Post by Bob Wya »

@crust,

I would suggest getting a debugging console log from your application - see WineHQ FAQ: 10.1.1 How can I get a debugging log (a.k.a. terminal output)? ...

For maximum compatibility with older programs I'd recommend installing them in a 32-bit Wineprefix - see WineHQ FAQ: 6.5 Wineprefixes ...

Also use the winecfg Wine utility:

Code: Select all

winecfg
to ensure your Wineprefix Windows compatibility is set to Windows XP (even Windows 98 - if it's a very old bit of software).

Also surely some native program would do what you want?? E.g. Gwenview perhaps...?? 8)

Bob
crust
Level 1
Level 1

Post by crust »

Bob Wya wrote:@crust,

I would suggest getting a debugging console log from your application - see WineHQ FAQ: 10.1.1 How can I get a debugging log (a.k.a. terminal output)? ...

For maximum compatibility with older programs I'd recommend installing them in a 32-bit Wineprefix - see WineHQ FAQ: 6.5 Wineprefixes ...

Also use the winecfg Wine utility:

Code: Select all

winecfg
to ensure your Wineprefix Windows compatibility is set to Windows XP (even Windows 98 - if it's a very old bit of software).

Also surely some native program would do what you want?? E.g. Gwenview perhaps...?? 8)

Bob
Thanks Bob, I will try your suggestions and let you know how it goes. So far I have not found another program of any operating type that automatically places photos of one size onto a grid of many different sizes and automatically resizes them to the selected grid. Several linux programs will allow one to manually resize photos of one size onto an 8.5x11 sheet of paper.

Thanks for the info, Crust-may the penguin be with you!
crust
Level 1
Level 1

Post by crust »

Bob, I did as you suggested. Deleted my .wine folder and recreated the folder using the format on HQ wine. I used win98 in Wine config. and also tried windows xp. Still no joy, however I copied the error output file. I can't make heads nor tails out of it but maybe you or some one here can. Please see attached and thank you for your help.

crust-may the penguin be with you!
Hpi_print.exe(debug.txt).tar.gz
(2.65 KiB) Downloaded 180 times
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Windows hardware drivers don't work in Wine, so if this app includes a printer driver that it expects to use, it's not going to work.

Printers have to be installed in CUPS and working on the host system for Wine to see them. On a 64 bit system you also need to make sure 32 bit CUPS is installed. Does printing work from Wine's notepad?

FYI, your Wine version is three years old and no longer supported, so you need to upgrade.
crust
Level 1
Level 1

Post by crust »

dimesio wrote:Windows hardware drivers don't work in Wine, so if this app includes a printer driver that it expects to use, it's not going to work.

Printers have to be installed in CUPS and working on the host system for Wine to see them. On a 64 bit system you also need to make sure 32 bit CUPS is installed. Does printing work from Wine's notepad?

FYI, your Wine version is three years old and no longer supported, so you need to upgrade.
Hi Bob, yes my printers work in notepad. The version that came with Ubuntu Mate 16.04 is 1.6. It sounds like if I want a newer version I will have to manually install it from a different source. Is that correct? How can I install the latest stable version and have it update with the rest of my installation of Ubuntu Mate 16.04? Appreciate your patience and information.

Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

@crust,

Yup, You want to use a PPA with the latest WineHQ wine packages... See the Ubuntu: Installing WineHQ packages ... In your case you probably want the winehq-devel package.

As dimesio stated - native (Windows) printer drivers won't run under Wine - Wine only provides a translation layer for calls into the kernel - drivers "live" in kernel space.
I'm not clear if your HP Utility is a user-space - just move your photographs around type affair - or is combo affair which install some HP Printer drivers as well... If it's the former - it could potentially run under Wine.

So anyway I'd update to the latest Wine release (2.0-rc4) - and post some updated output.
I'd need both the full console log as well as any final crash dump (you've only attached the latter item) - should you get another crash w/ backtrace!

Ta
Bob
crust
Level 1
Level 1

Post by crust »

Thanks all, I will mosey over to Wine HQ and see what gives. Keep you all posted and thanks for the suggestions.