Red Alert 3 Map Directory

Questions about Wine on Linux
k4ever

Red Alert 3 Map Directory

Post by k4ever »

I have Red Alert 3 installed on Linux Mint 18 KDE (based on Kubuntu 16.04). I'm using Wine 2.0rc3. My Windows version in the Wine Configuration utility is Window 10 (I have tried Windows XP, Vista, and Windows 7 also).

Where do I put custom maps for Red Alert 3 so I can use them in the game? I currently have maps in the ~/.wine/drive_c/users/myname/Application Data/Red Alert 3/Maps/ folder. I also have a link to this folder in the ~/.wine/drive_c/users/myname/AppData/Roaming/Red Alert 3/ folder. None of the custom maps are displaying in the game.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Red Alert 3 Map Directory

Post by Bob Wya »

k4ever wrote:I have Red Alert 3 installed on Linux Mint 18 KDE (based on Kubuntu 16.04). I'm using Wine 2.0rc3. My Windows version in the Wine Configuration utility is Window 10 (I have tried Windows XP, Vista, and Windows 7 also).
Wine compatibility tends to break with the newer(ish) Windows API's - first introduced in Windows Vista. A 32-bit Wineprefix set to Windows XP is the best starting point for older games with Windows XP compatiblity (like RA III).
See WineHQ FAQ: 6.5.3 How do I create a 32 bit wineprefix on a 64 bit system?

Start with a clean 32-bit Wineprefix set to Windows XP. Install Red Alert III. Install your maps (as before).

Then run the RA III game manually. Change Directory into the main game directory first (??? = put in the correct path) and run the main game executable (??? = put the correct executable name)...

Code: Select all

cd "${WINEPREFIX:-${HOME}/.wine}/drive_c/Program Files/???"
export WINEDEBUG=+file
wine ???.exe &> "${WINEPREFIX:-${HOME}/.wine}/drive_c/wine_ra3_file_channel_debug_log.txt" 2>&1
For the default Wineprefix (${HOME}/.wine) those commands will create a log file at:

"${HOME}/.wine/drive_c/wine_ra3_file_channel_debug_log.txt
In otherwords the root of the "virtual" C:\ drive.

If you could post the results of that log file here (or in a Paste-bin type site, e.g. Github gist, etc. if it's "real big" - say 200+ lines!!)

Please use the WineHQ Forums handy:

Code
tags if posting inline (here)...

Ta
Bob
k4ever

Post by k4ever »

Bob, thanks! I won't be able to try this until later on this week.
k4ever

Post by k4ever »

Bob,

I found a solution to my problem without creating a new Wine prefix of reinstalling the game. The registry file for Wine was missing an entry that allows the game to see the map directory:

http://www.cnclabs.com/forums/cnc_posts ... s-yet.aspx

I imported the registry fix to my Red Alert 3 installations under Windows 10 and Linux (Wine). Custom maps worked under Windows 10, but not Linux. I found out that the Linux Wine registry imported the fix to the wrong place. I manually fixed the registry under Wine and now custom maps work.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

@k4ever,

Glad you found a workaround... But as nobody has "stepped up to the plate" to maintain the WineHQ AppDB: Command and Conquer: Red Alert 3 pages...
I can't ping the maintainer with your solution or (even) make a comment. :roll:

Bob