Cannot install Hoyle Games from CD

Questions about Wine on Linux
Billee

Cannot install Hoyle Games from CD

Post by Billee »

This may seem to be a long-standing issue that I cannot seem to resolve.
I have a Hoyle Games disk from 2004 that I have been using with no problems on various Linux distros in the past, mostly in Wine 1.6 or before.

Presently I have it installed on a Dell 530 Inspiron desktop in Wine 1.6 under Linux Mint 18.
Recently, I have tried to install it on a HP DV6 laptop under MXlinux MX-16 with Wine 1.9.7 (which is their default). It gets through the set-up. When it comes to installing the software, I get an error “Please insert disk: 1”. Both the Retry and Cancel buttons will not work. I have to do a reboot to get out of this window and process.

I have tried it with other distros with same result.
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Billee
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Cannot install Hoyle Games from CD

Post by Bob Wya »

Your Hoyle Games CD is WineHQ AppDB: Hoyle Card Games - que??

MXlinux MX-16 should be supported by the official WineHQ packages - see WineHQ Debian Packages Download ...

It would be useful to get some console output from the disk installer... See WineHQ FAQ: 10.1.1 How can I get a debugging log (a.k.a. terminal output)? ...
Remember to also include what directory you are running the wine command from and what command you've run!! E.g. ...

Code: Select all

pwd
  /home/wine_noob/.wine/dosdevices/d:
wine Setup.exe
To swap discs you can use the Wine eject (terminal) command:

wine eject d:
To unmount the contents of a CD-ROM mounted as a Wine virtual D:\ drive and physically eject it.

To have Wine recognise a CD or DVD in a DVD drive it would need to be mounted by your Desktop Environment (type a your Linux file manager).
Wine hooks into the (defacto) udisks 2 to recognise what drives/ partitions are mounted in your system.
If your game(s) use CD1 for content or as a rudimentary drm device - then you would need to mount it (under Linux) - before running any games you've installed from the Hoyle Games CD.

You should never need to reboot to mess about / kill applications running under Wine (well bar - kernel, Desktop Environment or graphics driver crashes).
Even a Wine update shouldn't necessitate a reboot (because typically you wouldn't have applications - running under Wine all the time - and Wine runs in the Linux Userspace).

To kill all processes running under the default WINEPREFIX - you can just type:

wineserver -k
as your stock Linux user.

If a fullscreen app or game hangs, when run under Wine, and you can't ALT-TAB out of the application... Then you should be (typically) able to switch to a Linux TTY virtual console....
You can then kill your misbehaving Wine application from this environment.

Bob