'direct sound creation failed' warnat wine in Linux mint

Questions about Wine on Linux
umdoooo
Level 1
Level 1

'direct sound creation failed' warnat wine in Linux mint

Post by umdoooo »

This article has been translated from Korean to English by the Google Translator. I hope your understanding.

Hello. My name is Umdoooo. I usually helped from WINE HQ. Thank you. I always wanted to say this.
 I am using a laptop and a desktop computer. Both computers use Linux mint and mate. Sometimes I use LXDE.

<Notebook Specifications: Intel Celeron 3855U + 4GB DDR3L + Intel HD grapics 510 + Intel Corporation Device 9d70 (rev 21) (sound card)>

I used Wine to run Windows games called 'PowerDOLLS 4' on my laptop. In Wine, PowerDOLLS 4 is said to run reliably. (Https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... &iId=10673) However it did not run on my laptop. The following warning was printed.

"Direct sound create failed"

I installed Winetricks and downloaded the following libraries. (Http://www.itworld.co.kr/print/79963 - I be refered to this site.)

- everything starting with "d3dx"
- quartz
- vcrun2005, vcrun2008, vcrun2010
- wininet
- xact, xact_jun2010, xinput

However, the game did not run. "Http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/wine/4 ... -wine.html" - I followed this link, but it did not work too.

(In the 'User.reg' in the './Wine' folder

[Software \\ Wine \\ DirectSound]
"HardwareAcceleration" = "Emulation"

added.)

But the situation was not resolved either. I was very angry. So I created the same conditions on my desktop computer and tried to run the game. OOPS... The game was well executed.

Laptop and desktop computer were in the same condition. So I think this is a hardware problem. Is Direct Sound related to hardware? Here is my laptop's sound card ('lspci |grep -i audio'):

"Intel Corporation Device 9d70 (rev 21)"

... is a common notebook built-in sound card. I do not know the cause of this problem ...

It's a difficult problem, but I want to get help from you. Thank you for reading the long story. Happy new Year!
dimesio

Re: 'direct sound creation failed' warnat wine in Linux mint

Post by dimesio »

Open winecfg and go to the Audio tab. What does it say for Selected driver, Output device, and Speaker configuration? Does the Test Sound button work?
umdoooo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by umdoooo »

dimesio wrote:Open winecfg and go to the Audio tab. What does it say for Selected driver, Output device, and Speaker configuration? Does the Test Sound button work?
Yes. Sound test button works. 'Ding' sounds. Attach a photo. The speaker is a built-in speaker of the notebook. The sound driver is Intel Corporation Device 9d70 (rev 21). There is no problem using YouTube and mp3 on Linux. Only Wine is the problem. Thank you for your reply!
Attachments
Now my winecfg screen.
Now my winecfg screen.
winecfg audio tab.jpg (174.22 KiB) Viewed 5489 times
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Based on your screenshot, you must be using a very old version of Wine: there should be another section for speaker configuration below the sound test button. You need to upgrade to the current development release. Use the WineHQ package. https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu
umdoooo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by umdoooo »

dimesio wrote:Based on your screenshot, you must be using a very old version of Wine: there should be another section for speaker configuration below the sound test button. You need to upgrade to the current development release. Use the WineHQ package. https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu

The problem is resolved! The game runs normally. Sound is output well. wow! Thank you Thank you~!!
umdoooo
Level 1
Level 1

<Precautions>

Post by umdoooo »

The problem has been solved, but there are caveats. It runs in Mate but not in LXDE(in Linux mint). If you run it in LXDE, a warning stating 'Failed in finding proper screen mode' is printed and stops. The cause is unknown.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

@umdoooo

Desktop screenshots... Are generally taken with a piece of native software - not a camera!! :lol:
See Taking screenshots of Software ...

Now as for BIOS / EFI firmware shots... All well and good to get out the Smartphone in this instance... 8)

Bob
umdoooo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by umdoooo »

Bob Wya wrote:@umdoooo

Desktop screenshots... Are generally taken with a piece of native software - not a camera!! :lol:
See Taking screenshots of Software ...

Now as for BIOS / EFI firmware shots... All well and good to get out the Smartphone in this instance... 8)

Bob

Oh! Thank you for letting me know. happy new year Bob~
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

umdoooo wrote:...
Oh! Thank you for letting me know. happy new year Bob~
Same to you!! 8)