Wine won't open

Questions about Wine on Linux
josieisrad
Level 1
Level 1

Wine won't open

Post by josieisrad »

I'm running Bunsen Labs by Linux and am trying to install Origin so I can run/play The Sims 4. I installed wine using my terminal: I'm running version 1.6.2 (It's what automatically installs - I've tried using newer models, but can't figure out how to properly install them even using directions from WineHQ - my computer rarely recognizes the commands/prompts they tell me to enter). When I enter wine in my "Run Program" bar, it accepts it as a program (I don't get any error messages or anything), but nothing ever comes up. I've also tried running it through my terminal, however, upon trying to get it to run a program I get the following error message:

Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
Make sure that your X server is running and that $DISPLAY is set correctly.

Can anyone tell me what either of those things are or what to do? I'm a bit of a newbie to Linux. I've scoured every forum I can find, and haven't gotten anywhere...

And yes, I've tried turning the computer on/off :x
dimesio

Re: Wine won't open

Post by dimesio »

To run Origin you are going to have to upgrade to the latest development release, as several bugs affecting it have recently been fixed; 1.6.2 is three years old.

BunsenLabs Linux is based on Debian Jessie, so those are the packages you should try. https://wiki.winehq.org/Debian

Exactly what problems are you having with our instructions? Be specific, and post output from commands entered in the command line.
josieisrad
Level 1
Level 1

Post by josieisrad »

Using a little ingenuity, I managed to safely install wine version 2.0-rc. I also have installed playonlinux and have been making some attempts to run Origin, but I am having the exact same malfunctions with wine: It simply WON'T run (with the exception of winecfg). It attempts to open a blue window entitled "Default - Wine desktop", but for whatever reason simply can't and closes without ever loading anything. Any ideas?
josieisrad
Level 1
Level 1

Post by josieisrad »

Update: I tried to run wine through terminal with "wine /home/josie/Downloads/OriginSetup.exe"

The same window opens and then closes within a matter of seconds. This is the result I am given:

fixme:ver:GetCurrentPackageId (0x32e97c (nil)): stub

josie@riggy3rd:~$
josie@riggy3rd:~$ err:winediag:SECUR32_initNTLMSP ntlm_auth was not found or is outdated. Make sure that ntlm_auth >= 3.0.25 is in your path. Usually, you can find it in the winbind package of your distribution.
fixme:file:FindFirstFileExW flags not implemented 0x00000002
fixme:system:SetProcessDPIAware stub!
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33f1b8,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33f338,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:dxgi:dxgi_check_feature_level_support Ignoring adapter type.
fixme:winediag:dxgi_check_feature_level_support None of the requested D3D feature levels is supported on this GPU with the current shader backend.
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33f338,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:dxgi:dxgi_check_feature_level_support Ignoring adapter type.
fixme:winediag:dxgi_check_feature_level_support None of the requested D3D feature levels is supported on this GPU with the current shader backend.
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33f478,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:d3d9:d3d9_device_CreateTexture Resource sharing not implemented, *shared_handle (nil).
fixme:msvcp:_Locinfo__Locinfo_ctor_cat_cstr (0x33f6ec 1 C) semi-stub
fixme:msvcp:_Locinfo__Locinfo_ctor_cat_cstr (0x33f4cc 1 C) semi-stub
err:ole:CoInitializeEx Attempt to change threading model of this apartment from apartment threaded to multi-threaded
fixme:ole:CoInitializeSecurity ((nil),-1,(nil),(nil),0,3,(nil),0,(nil)) - stub!
fixme:wbemprox:client_security_SetBlanket 0x7c64de00, 0x182900, 10, 0, (null), 3, 3, (nil), 0x00000000
fixme:wbemprox:client_security_Release 0x7c64de00
fixme:mountmgr:harddisk_ioctl The DISK_PARTITION_INFO and DISK_DETECTION_INFO structures will not be filled
fixme:mountmgr:harddisk_ioctl The DISK_PARTITION_INFO and DISK_DETECTION_INFO structures will not be filled
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33e9e8,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:msvcp:_Locinfo__Locinfo_ctor_cat_cstr (0x33ee9c 1 C) semi-stub
fixme:msvcp:_Locinfo__Locinfo_ctor_cat_cstr (0x33eeec 1 C) semi-stub
err:ole:CoInitializeEx Attempt to change threading model of this apartment from apartment threaded to multi-threaded
fixme:netprofm:connection_point_Advise 0x187eb8, 0x4b8e95c, 0x4b8e9c4 - stub
fixme:netprofm:list_manager_GetConnectivity 0x187d60, 0x33fad4
fixme:winhttp:get_system_proxy_autoconfig_url no support on this platform
fixme:winhttp:WinHttpDetectAutoProxyConfigUrl discovery via DHCP not supported
fixme:toolhelp:CreateToolhelp32Snapshot Unimplemented: heap list snapshot
fixme:toolhelp:Heap32ListFirst : stub
fixme:font:RemoveFontMemResourceEx (0x877c0061) stub
fixme:font:RemoveFontMemResourceEx (0x8779f3b9) stub
fixme:font:RemoveFontMemResourceEx (0x82eb4311) stub
fixme:font:RemoveFontMemResourceEx (0x82f42691) stub
fixme:font:RemoveFontMemResourceEx (0x82f1e449) stub
fixme:font:RemoveFontMemResourceEx (0x82f2a431) stub
fixme:font:RemoveFontMemResourceEx (0x82fe08c9) stub
fixme:font:RemoveFontMemResourceEx (0x82a44311) stub
fixme:font:RemoveFontMemResourceEx (0x82a11269) stub
fixme:font:RemoveFontMemResourceEx (0x82a2f2c1) stub
fixme:font:RemoveFontMemResourceEx (0x81645301) stub
fixme:font:RemoveFontMemResourceEx (0x812f8301) stub
fixme:thread:SetThreadIdealProcessor (0x1d8): stub
fixme:file:FindFirstFileExW flags not implemented 0x00000002
fixme:dbghelp:elf_search_auxv can't find symbol in module
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

josie@riggy3rd:~$ err:winediag:SECUR32_initNTLMSP ntlm_auth was not found or is outdated. Make sure that ntlm_auth >= 3.0.25 is in your path. Usually, you can find it in the winbind package of your distribution.
You need to fix that; install winbind, both 32 and 64 bit.
josieisrad
Level 1
Level 1

Post by josieisrad »

Installed winbind. Tried to run wine via terminal again. Error message:

No protocol specified
No protocol specified
err:winediag:nulldrv_CreateWindow Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
err:winediag:nulldrv_CreateWindow Make sure that your X server is running and that $DISPLAY is set correctly.
err:ole:apartment_createwindowifneeded CreateWindow failed with error 0
err:winediag:nulldrv_CreateWindow Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
err:winediag:nulldrv_CreateWindow Make sure that your X server is running and that $DISPLAY is set correctly.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

@josieisrad

Please use the Forum Code tags for delimiting console output and terminal commands in the forums...

Code: Select all

printf("Hello World!!\n");
That's one of personal pet hates (i.e. people that don't use this feature). 8)

Origin is known to have a lot of issues, when run under Wine. See WineHQ AppDB: Origin (Latest Release) ...
You'll certainly need a 32-bit Wineprefix for starters and the legacy Origin installer.

If you don't understand any of the suggestions in the AppDB Origin page how-to guides... Then I'd suggest reading through the WineHQ FAQ - it's essential reading for day-to-day use of Wine.
Plus the WineHQ Forums - do state in the Welcome to the WineHQ Forums (New User Guide) "To that end, the Wine community has a few guidelines users should read and heed before posting."...
Which I'm sure you rushed over to read straight away (after registering)...(cough, cough)!!

Please can you post what command you are using to launch the Origin installer and the Unix present working directory (pwd) that you ran this command from.
It's important to do this each time you're posting console output (gives us more context to what your doing). Something like you did before:

josie@riggy3rd:~$ wine "/home/josie/Downloads/OriginSetup.exe"
is fine...

Ta
Bob
josieisrad
Level 1
Level 1

Post by josieisrad »

Hello! Thank you for the link, but I'm afraid I've already been trying to follow that tutorial and simply can't due to wine malfunctioning... I can't open a window.

I have a 32-bit wineprefix, though I do occasionally have trouble working with it since I'm unfamiliar with wine. I'll check up with the Origin Legacy Installer, though! Thank you, I haven't tried using that yet.

And I did read the guidelines for the forums after I registered, and I don't think I'm doing anything wrong... Though feel free to correct me on this.

I'm sorry about the whole code thing, I had trouble figuring out how to work that feature. I'll use it from now on, hope that helps :)

In the meantime, does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get wine to run?
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

josieisrad wrote:Hello! Thank you for the link, but I'm afraid I've already been trying to follow that tutorial and simply can't due to wine malfunctioning... I can't open a window.
que?
josieisrad wrote:I have a 32-bit wineprefix, though I do occasionally have trouble working with it since I'm unfamiliar with wine. I'll check up with the Origin Legacy Installer, though! Thank you, I haven't tried using that yet.
Just remember to:

export WINEPREFIX=???
in any terminal session (read: tab in your terminal application) that you want Wine to reference the 32-bit Wineprefix (and not the default "${HOME}/.wine" WINEPREFIX).

Btw you're better off starting with a clean Wineprefix - if you're troubleshooting though.
josieisrad wrote: And I did read the guidelines for the forums after I registered, and I don't think I'm doing anything wrong... Though feel free to correct me on this.

I'm sorry about the whole code thing, I had trouble figuring out how to work that feature. I'll use it from now on, hope that helps :)
I'm definately not saying you're doing anything wrong - in fact it's not even about the folks who help out on the forum (like myself)...
It's actually simply because it's empowering to fix your own issues... Reading through the Wine FAQ and fiddling with simple stuff (like creating and deleting a WINEPREFIX) is simply a good way to learn how to use Wine.

I'd say it really helps to describe in detail / specify what you're doing... Imagine we're not sitting, looking over your shoulder at your computer screen!!

I really don't know what "I can't open a window." means in the context of your problem. Your X-Server could be totally broken for all I know!
So try to avoid vague statements like that.

For example if you said I typed:

winecfg
and the winecfg window doesn't open...
Then I know what you're doing (/ trying to do) and I can start to guess / troubleshoot what might be wrong!

Bob
josieisrad
Level 1
Level 1

Post by josieisrad »

With the exception of winecfg, I cannot open anything using wine (Either through entering wine in my "Run Program" bar: It recognizes the name but fails to open any application, nor my terminal as I am given the errors I listed above). I have rather limited knowledge of wine, and I've simply run out of ideas. I just don't know how to get wine to open or run.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

@josieisrad,

Can you post the output from:

env
run as your standard Linux user in a terminal window...

Also can we get some details of what Wine packages you have installed on your system:

sudo dpkg-query -l 'wine*'
Ta
Bob