Wine won't launch *.exe files

Questions about Wine on Linux
0sm1um

Wine won't launch *.exe files

Post by 0sm1um »

Goal:
My purpose is to install RT wine with WOW64 features(64bit+32bit), or only 32bit as emergency.

History:
I downloaded source code from winehq.org v. 1.8.6, and applied patch from http://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/I ... uring_Wine tutorial to obtain RT-features, then I built wine according to this tutorial https://wiki.winehq.org/Building_Wine#Shared_WoW64 , and installed build through checkinstall

Problem:
So when I trying to launch some *.exe app:

Code: Select all

root@music_workstation:~/Desktop# ls
ChromeSetup32.exe  ChromeSetup64.exe  jdk-8u101-windows-x64.exe  tcmdr700.exe
root@music_workstation:~/Desktop# wine64 ChromeSetup32.exe
root@music_workstation:~/Desktop# wine64 ChromeSetup64.exe
root@music_workstation:~/Desktop# wine64 tcmdr700.exe
root@music_workstation:~/Desktop# wine64 jdk-8u101-windows-x64.exe
fixme:heap:RtlSetHeapInformation 0x240000 0 0x23fdb0 4 stub
fixme:heap:RtlSetHeapInformation 0x240000 0 0x23fdb0 4 stub
fixme:nls:GetThreadPreferredUILanguages 00000034, 0x23b3c8, (nil) 0x23b3c4
fixme:nls:get_dummy_preferred_ui_language (0x34 0x23b3c8 (nil) 0x23b3c4) returning a dummy value (current locale)
fixme:nls:GetThreadPreferredUILanguages 00000034, 0x23b3c8, 0x241040 0x23b3c4
fixme:nls:get_dummy_preferred_ui_language (0x34 0x23b3c8 0x241040 0x23b3c4) returning a dummy value (current locale)
fixme:ntdll:NtLockFile I/O completion on lock not implemented yet
fixme:heap:RtlSetHeapInformation 0xc00000 0 0x23ef00 4 stub
err:msi:ITERATE_Actions Execution halted, action L"LicenseAgreement" returned 1602
root@music_workstation:~/Desktop# 

Nothing happens on all *.exe files except java jdk, java has lifesigns, and starts its GUI. But if I try to launch preinstalled software, IE or cmd for example, it works. If I try to start exe app through winefile, it displays "internal error" message. *.msi packages can be installed, but there is the same problem when trying to start them. When I uninstall current wine and installed wine 1.6 from debian repo, though

apt-get install wine
it says me "BadExeFormat" when starting exe.
So, here is the question, were I should search for mistake, and how can I archive my purpose? Any help will be appresiated. Thanks in advance!

Configuration:

root@music_workstation:~# uname -a
Linux music_workstation 3.2.0-4-rt-amd64 #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Debian 3.2.82-1 x86_64 GNU/Linux
root@music_workstation:~# cat /etc/debian_version
root@music_workstation:~# wine64 --version
wine-1.8.6
dimesio

Re: Wine won't launch *.exe files

Post by dimesio »

First, patched versions of Wine are not supported here, nor are outside howtos. I did notice that the instructions you linked to explicitly say they are only for installing 32 bit Wine, not WoW64. You need to contact the author of those instructions and/or the patch for help with that part.

Second, you should never run Wine as root. https://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#Should_I_ru ... as_root.3F

Third, Wine has known problems with both Chrome and Java; you should test with something that is known to work in Wine.

What I recommend is starting from scratch. Uninstall all versions of Wine currently on your system and delete the wineprefix, then install the WineHQ package for Debian. After that, try installing an app that according to the AppDB should work out of the box.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

@0sm1um,

You might want to check out the facilities, that Wine-Staging already provides, for limited real-time scheduling... See Wine-Staging FAQ: Environment Variables/Realtime Priorities ...
Then you would be able to use the stock WineHQ Debian: wine-staging binary package.
Which would be easier I reckon! 8)

Bob
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

FYI, info in the Wine-Staging wiki has been ported to WineHQ's wiki (many thanks to Erich Hoover). The current URL for that info is https://wiki.winehq.org/Wine-Staging_En ... Priorities.