Installing 64 bit Sketchup installer doesn't recognize 64bit

Questions about Wine on Linux
linux_user
Level 1
Level 1

Installing 64 bit Sketchup installer doesn't recognize 64bit

Post by linux_user »

I downloaded Sketchup 64bit installer. But on initiating the install, I get this error.

I installed wine using the debian instructed procedure,

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386 && apt update
sudo apt install wine
Here's the dpkg output,

toor@linux:~$ sudo dpkg -l | grep wine
ii  libwine:amd64                          1.6.2-20                             amd64        Windows API implementation - library
ii  libwine:i386                           1.6.2-20                             i386         Windows API implementation - library
ii  libwine-gecko-2.21                     2.21+dfsg2-1                         all          Windows API implementation - web browser module
ii  wine                                   1.6.2-20                             amd64        Windows API implementation - standard suite
ii  wine32                                 1.6.2-20                             i386         Windows API implementation - 32-bit binary loader
ii  wine64                                 1.6.2-20                             amd64        Windows API implementation - 64-bit binary loader
toor@linux:~$ 
dimesio

Re: Installing 64 bit Sketchup installer doesn't recognize 6

Post by dimesio »

Start by upgrading Wine; 1.6.2 is three years old and no longer supported. Use the WineHQ packages. https://wiki.winehq.org/Debian
linux_user
Level 1
Level 1

Post by linux_user »

dimesio wrote:Start by upgrading Wine; 1.6.2 is three years old and no longer supported. Use the WineHQ packages. https://wiki.winehq.org/Debian
I had uninstalled wine and reinstalled using the same instructions provided in your link, however only 1.6.2 are being installed.
linux_user
Level 1
Level 1

Post by linux_user »

I uninstalled wine 1.6.2 and installed wine 1.8.6 from the source tarball using the following method.

Downloaded source tarball from https://dl.winehq.org/wine/source/1.6/ and opened terminal in the downloaded directory.
Installed all the necessary libraries needed for ./configure like gcc 32 bit libraries, flex, bison and Xlib/xfree86l ; and libfreetype6-dev for ./configure --enable-win64

$ sudo ./configure
$ ./configure --enable-win64
$ sudo make && sudo make install
Everything went well, but I am unable to find the wine application. Running wine name.exe returns,

bash: wine: command not found

On the other hand, wine64 is found.

wine64 name.exe
starts the application. Does it mean that I can't run 32 bit applications? I didn't activate multiarch at the beginning of installation since I had already done for the previous installations. As far as I know, once done, that's enough.

dpkg --add-architecture i386 && apt update
Last edited by linux_user on Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

What you built is pure 64 bit Wine. If Sketchup is pure 64 bit, it might work (wine64 is the command), but note that no apps with 32 bit parts (which is most apps) will work on a pure 64 bit system, which is why pure 64 bit Wine is unsupported. So if Sketchup doesn't work with what you built, you need to either build a proper WoW64 setup or install the WineHQ packages as I originally suggested in order to receive help here.
linux_user
Level 1
Level 1

Post by linux_user »

dimesio wrote:What you built is pure 64 bit Wine. If Sketchup is pure 64 bit, it might work (wine64 is the command), but note that no apps with 32 bit parts (which is most apps) will work on a pure 64 bit system, which is why pure 64 bit Wine is unsupported. So if Sketchup doesn't work with what you built, you need to either build a proper WoW64 setup or install the WineHQ packages as I originally suggested in order to receive help here.
I had tried your suggested method. But I still get 1.6.2. I guess this is because Jessie repositories have doesn't have the latest. https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic ... 043#p43043

It seems I have pure wine64 set up. If I redo the whole installation adding the line

dpkg --add-architecture i386 && apt update
will I be able to built a WoW64 set up?
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

You would need to install all of Wine's 32 bit build dependencies, and on a Debian-based system, I believe you need to use a container or chroot. Basic build instructions are here: https://wiki.winehq.org/Building_Wine. If you use a container, https://wiki.winehq.org/Building_Biarch_Wine_On_Ubuntu may help, but note that those instructions are for Ubuntu and will probably require some adaptation to your system.

IMO, figuring out what's going wrong with installing the WineHQ package would probably be easier.
linux_user
Level 1
Level 1

Post by linux_user »

Thank you, I shall try that.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

@linux_user,

I've got a multilib Wine build script, for Ubuntu, up on Github - see Github: bobwya/build-multilib-wine...
I don't think it uses any Ubuntu-specific stuff (in fact I even use a Debian-only deb package in it)...

Anyway you're welcome to use the script or just peruse it for solutions to your build issues!
Full disclaimer I couldn't be bothered trying to do any post-build packaging (as a deb archive).
In addition the script will not install run-time dependencies for Wine (only the development dependencies, for Wine are installed, and only in the Schroot environments).

Bob
linux_user
Level 1
Level 1

Post by linux_user »

Thank you Bob, but I am not sure if I am knowledgeable enough on linux to try whatever suggested me to. Just initial linux footsteps. I surely will come back to your post once I think can do it.
Bob Wya wrote:@linux_user,
I've got a multilib Wine build script, for...
What I have done?
I completely removed wine64 1.8.6 using make uninstall, deleted it's configurations, folder etc.. and reinstalled using dimesio's suggestion; only this time, I installed winehq-devel and not wine. It seems to be working fine so far.

toor@linux:~$ sudo dpkg -l | grep wine
ii  wine-devel                             2.0~rc3~jessie                       amd64        official WineHQ build of the popular Wine software
ii  wine-devel-amd64                       2.0~rc3~jessie                       amd64        official WineHQ build of the popular Wine software
ii  wine-devel-i386                        2.0~rc3~jessie                       i386         official WineHQ build of the popular Wine software
ii  winehq-devel                           2.0~rc3~jessie                       amd64        official WineHQ build of the popular Wine software
toor@linux:~$ 
Question: What is the difference between wine and winehq?
Question: It seems that unlike what's mentioned on this page, debian, since wheezy fully supports multiarch. From the above code, can anyone tell me if I have a WoW64 set up already?
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

WineHQ is the website for the Wine Project. The WineHQ packages are built and supported here. The other packages you were using were built by Debian. The packages built by the distro contain unsupported modifications that often cause problems, which is why WineHQ builds clean ones.
linux_user
Level 1
Level 1

Post by linux_user »

dimesio wrote:WineHQ is the website for the Wine Project. The WineHQ packages are built and supported here. The other packages you were using were built by Debian. The packages built by the distro contain unsupported modifications that often cause problems, which is why WineHQ builds clean ones.
So, winehq packages and wine packages not the same (though both are for wine program). WineHQ packages are built and maintained here, while wine packages are built and maintained by the distros. But, both are for the same program. Correct?
fjfrackiewicz
Level 2
Level 2

Post by fjfrackiewicz »

linux_user wrote:
dimesio wrote: But, both are for the same program. Correct?
Correct. Most package maintainers will alter a given program when compiling it (they'll use different flags or options) for the specific distro.