Windows App entirely missing top menu bar - suggestions?

Questions about Wine on Linux
chmedly

Windows App entirely missing top menu bar - suggestions?

Post by chmedly »

I'm looking to run one particular Windows program in Linux Mint 17.2. The program is from a company called Lectrosonics and is used to control a series of hardware boxes over USB. The software is called Lecnet2 and is comprised of a series of control panels, one for each version of the hardware. There is one installer that installs all the control panels. There are also 2 different installers for the USB drivers; one for 32bit and one for 64bit. I've installed a fresh install of Mint 17.2 Cinnamon and Wine from the PPA repository (I think it should be version 1.8) and installed the Lecnet2 software and drivers without error. Well... it did request a piece of .net software and I clicked yes to allow the wine app to install something for this and it carried on. The control panels open but the normal top menu system (File, Edit etc) is missing from the window. Because of this, I can't reach the connect button to see if the USB connectivity is working, which was my biggest concern about running this in Wine.

I've done some searching here and on the general web but have not found anything about this particular problem. I'm looking for suggestions about how to move forward with this. I seems that I could try different versions of Wine and/or try different versions of Mono or .Net but I'm hoping to avoid a lot of detour for this project. Anyone have some ideas or suggestions about the best next steps?
Thanks,
dimesio

Re: Windows App entirely missing top menu bar - suggestions?

Post by dimesio »

The missing menu bar may be related to an improper install of .NET. Always use winetricks to install .NET, as it works around known bugs. You will have to start over with a clean wineprefix and install whatever version of .NET is needed before installing your app.

The bigger issue is that Windows hardware drivers don't work in Wine. Your hardware has to be working in the host system for Wine to see it. If communication with the "boxes" is pure serial over USB, you might be able to get them to work in Wine by symlinking com ports to them. https://wiki.winehq.org/Wine_User%27s_G ... llel_Ports If the devices are HID, follow these instructions for testing: https://wiki.winehq.org/Hid.