No Default Printer

Questions about Wine on Linux
RougeHomme

No Default Printer

Post by RougeHomme »

Ubuntu 14.4-LTS
I have Wine working just fine with the local printer for the windows programs that had an installer.

But, I have a stand alone windows program that launches and runs fine. When I click "Printer setup" or "Print" it says "There is no default printer currently selected." Both Ubuntu and the Wine-Installed windows programs all print fine.

There is no installer for this program and an unknown developer so no way to get one. How can I get this to see the printer as the others do? I did check winecfg but could find nothing about printers there.

Did some searching but can't find anything regarding non-installed programs and printing.

Thanks
dimesio

Re: No Default Printer

Post by dimesio »

You can't find anything because there's nothing to be said. Apps running in Wine should just see any printers installed in CUPS, regardless of whether or not they have installers. The most common cause for printing not working is missing 32 bit CUPS, but that would prevent all 32 bit apps running in Wine from printing.

Post terminal output from trying to print from it. https://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#How_can_I_g ... tput.29.3F
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: No Default Printer

Post by Bob Wya »

@RougeHomme,

Wine uses a simple wrapper for your Linux CUPs printer driver (as dimesio stated already).

Wine also creates some rudiemntary hooks to indicate to 3rd party applications that a printer is installed.
E.g. creation of a Wine Registry (printer model) key under:

Code: Select all

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printers
To figure out where you application is going wrong you'd first want to update to latest development version of Wine... See WineHQ Download: Ubuntu ...
I'd recommend the wine-devel package, rather wine-staging, for your particular use case...

A trace log for your application to see what hook it's using to find a system printer would be useful...
See WineHQ FAQ: 10.1.1 How can I get a debugging log (a.k.a. terminal output)? ...
and see: WineHQ FAQ: 10.1.2 How do I get a debug trace? ...

If the trace output is huge (it probably will be!!) - then don't post it inline (in a forum post) - use a pastebin-type site...

Bob