TOMTOM SPark

Questions about Wine on Linux
ChrisIngé

TOMTOM SPark

Post by ChrisIngé »

Hi, i bought a TOMTOM SPark for multi sport apps.
The soft work with Wine on my Linux Mint but, don't recognize when i plug the TOMTOM with the USB port.
I think it's because i can't install driver because normally it's work with windows
Do you know how can i do ? or Maybe the only solution is to use a VirtualBox machine with windows ?
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: TOMTOM SPark

Post by Bob Wya »

ChrisIngé wrote:Hi, i bought a TOMTOM SPark for multi sport apps.
The soft work with Wine on my Linux Mint but, don't recognize when i plug the TOMTOM with the USB port.
I think it's because i can't install driver because normally it's work with windows
Do you know how can i do ? or Maybe the only solution is to use a VirtualBox machine with windows ?
Wine has only limited support for USB devices.
It's discussed periodically on the wine-devel mailing list - and once developers grasp the full complexity of implementing a USB shim layer, for Wine, they tend to walk away!

The main USB devices directly supported are just ones that expose a simple serial interface.
But also USB devices that have native Linux drivers and libraries as wrappers e.g. printers - where Wine hooks directly into CUPS.
You could also include simple USB audio devices, etc. in that category...

A VM is probably your best bet - if a USB device doesn't have a native driver / application. Of course hassle the manufacturer for native Linux support (I love doing that 8) )...

Bob