help with ms office msxml bug please?

Questions about Wine on Linux
juntjoo
Level 3
Level 3

help with ms office msxml bug please?

Post by juntjoo »

this is the bug page:https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=30785

with my limited tech savvy I'm having trouble finding the solution if any on this page. I'm trying to create a new Word doc and get this error when trying to save. Opening and saving pre-existing docs works with no error, just creating new ones.
dimesio

Re: help with ms office msxml bug please?

Post by dimesio »

The solution is to install to a 32 bit wineprefix. If you followed the instructions I gave you earlier, you already did that and shouldn't be running into that bug.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

One thing did occur to me: I believe you had a failed install of Office 2007 in ~/.wine before creating a separate wineprefix for it. You may be trying to run that failed install instead of the one in $HOME/office2007.
juntjoo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by juntjoo »

dimesio wrote:One thing did occur to me: I believe you had a failed install of Office 2007 in ~/.wine before creating a separate wineprefix for it. You may be trying to run that failed install instead of the one in $HOME/office2007.
okay, after further investigation, I think I was running office from the default 64bit prefix because I was opening office from the search box in my app bar which I'm guessing was finding that installation, but when I create a new doc from office that I run from my files there isn't a problem.

So I'm wondering, if the above is the case, save for deleting the default prefix which you recommend keeping for other apps, how does the system determine which office installation to use as it's choosing a different one depending on how I summon it, and how can I control it? But ultimately I should just uninstall the one in the default prefix right? I will do that but still am curious how the system determines which installation to use. Thanks Dimesio
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Go ahead and delete ~/.wine; when I answered in your other thread I hadn't thought about the possibility of an old Office 2007 install still being there. You can easily recreate it if you need it for other apps (just run winecfg).
juntjoo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by juntjoo »

thanks