print job doesn't make it to print jobs using ms office 07

Questions about Wine on Linux
juntjoo
Level 3
Level 3

print job doesn't make it to print jobs using ms office 07

Post by juntjoo »

I've verified I can print from other apps, but when I hit print from office a window pops up for a split second then disappears. How do I diagnose this?
dimesio

Re: print job doesn't make it to print jobs using ms office

Post by dimesio »

Post terminal output.
juntjoo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by juntjoo »

dimesio wrote:Post terminal output.
how do you do this?
juntjoo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by juntjoo »

you mean this?:

Code: Select all

ben@Hal:~$ df -h
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev            1.8G     0  1.8G   0% /dev
tmpfs           363M   11M  352M   3% /run
/dev/sda5       100G   12G   83G  13% /
tmpfs           1.8G   21M  1.8G   2% /dev/shm
tmpfs           5.0M  4.0K  5.0M   1% /run/lock
tmpfs           1.8G     0  1.8G   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
tmpfs           363M   84K  363M   1% /run/user/1000
juntjoo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by juntjoo »

I'll tell you one thing I noticed is that after I hit print if I pay close enough attention I'll see the printer start to do something on it's little screen for a split second then done, nothing more.
juntjoo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by juntjoo »

ah, apparently it has something to do with this issue: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2346321

where a document I'm trying to print is getting it's left side cut off only at the print preview stage, and before sending the print job it asks if I'm sure since something about the margin being outside the printable area of the page. So apparently not only did office not like what I was doing, but nor did the printer. This document previews perfect under windows btw. it's an envelope, small size, the last third of the page/face on the left is cut off. I checked the margin settings which are just as I specified them in the files in windows. IDK...
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

juntjoo wrote: how do you do this?
https://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#How_can_I_g ... tput.29.3F

Does printing from Wine's notepad work?
where a document I'm trying to print is getting it's left side cut off only at the print preview stage, and before sending the print job it asks if I'm sure since something about the margin being outside the printable area of the page.
Can you upload the document somewhere for me to download? I'll test it on my system.
juntjoo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by juntjoo »

dimesio wrote:
juntjoo wrote: how do you do this?
https://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#How_can_I_g ... tput.29.3F

Does printing from Wine's notepad work?
where a document I'm trying to print is getting it's left side cut off only at the print preview stage, and before sending the print job it asks if I'm sure since something about the margin being outside the printable area of the page.
Can you upload the document somewhere for me to download? I'll test it on my system.
file:https://www.dropbox.com/s/993okfvybi88v ... .docx?dl=0

I don't know about WINE's notepad. I wouldn't even know how to open anything with wine other than clicking on my office docs. But I'm able to print any other doc through office, so I don't think it's WINE.

check the file. I might have created it wrong under windows but somehow got it working there so maybe I'll create this envelope from scratch using Word's envelope template. I think I manually created this envelope and that may have made things weird. Thanks
juntjoo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by juntjoo »

could this be the solution?

IsItATroll? 2012-06-13 11:37:28 CDT
I confirm that creating a win32 prefix fixes that issue.
I was having it on Fedora 16 x64.

the following command did the trick:
WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=/path/to/wineprefix winecfg

I'm tempted to try it but afraid....
juntjoo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by juntjoo »

oops, last post was meant for my other thread on the msxml error and if you read this dimesio, never mind that. I realized looking over my history I already created the wineprefix as 32 bit as the solution to my original problem, so no that can't be my msxml error solution.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

I was able to print the envelope without any problem by selecting #10 envelope as the page size in Word. If you are using some nonstandard size, yes, that could cause problems if your printer can't handle it, and it's not a Wine issue. Since you say you can print other documents in Word, I'd say it's definitely not a Wine issue.

FYI, to run notepad just open a terminal and type

wine notepad
or, if you are testing your office2007 wineprefix, type

WINEPREFIX=$HOME/office2007 wine notepad
juntjoo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by juntjoo »

thank you. I think its a printer driver issue. At least that is something I read somewhere and makes sense as this isn't happening under windows and I can print portrait no problem, but once you make the document landscape, which I do to make putting those little envelopes stay aligned on the paper feeder, it freaks out and prompts confirmation but I temporary workaround I found to select under "scale to paper size" anything other than the default "no scaling" it prints fine, but you still have to manually select that every time and the print preview is still messed up. Anyway...