newbie. is it worth my time trying to get ms office working?

Questions about Wine on Linux
juntjoo
Level 3
Level 3

newbie. is it worth my time trying to get ms office working?

Post by juntjoo »

I looked it up in here already but just found a lot of test report pages the data of which confused me. not sure really what to conclude. I just know I installed both office 07 and 03 successfully as far as I could tell but when I'd try to open existing documents they'd read as corrupt. So don't know what that means but hopefully not that office whatever version will not work with wine or pre-existing files(don't have time to recreate all my files from scratch).

so I'm about to move to openOffice or libreOffice but would rather stick with ms office if possible. So someone please tell me 'oh you just need to install this one key little file and all your problems will be solved!' otherwise I need to get moving onto open/libreOffice. btw, I just installed the latest ubuntu and wine on my 2013 acer laptop if that helps.
dimesio

Re: newbie. is it worth my time trying to get ms office work

Post by dimesio »

Office 2007 works very well in Wine, and I've never had a problem opening files created in Office in Windows. Office 2003 also works, but there is a bug that affects some installers, and it won't read xlsx or pptx files (docx files work if you install FileFormatConverter).

You didn't mention what Wine version you're using. If it's not the latest development release, upgrade, and reinstall Office 2007 to a clean wineprefix following the instructions in the AppDB. If you still have problems opening existing files, post terminal output.
juntjoo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by juntjoo »

dimesio wrote:Office 2007 works very well in Wine, and I've never had a problem opening files created in Office in Windows. Office 2003 also works, but there is a bug that affects some installers, and it won't read xlsx or pptx files (docx files work if you install FileFormatConverter).

You didn't mention what Wine version you're using. If it's not the latest development release, upgrade, and reinstall Office 2007 to a clean wineprefix following the instructions in the AppDB. If you still have problems opening existing files, post terminal output.

Thank you. I just downloaded the latest maybe 24 hrs ago. So there IS a bug that's causing this? If so is there a solution?
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

WineHQ binary packages for Ubuntu for 1.9.24 haven't been built yet, so it's unlikely you have it, though for this purpose 1.9.23 would be good enough. But please open a terminal and type

Code: Select all

wine --version
and report what it returns. I have to ask that, because people often think they have the latest version when they don't.

It's unlikely you have encountered a bug, as opening files in Office 2007 still works fine on my system. How did you install Office 2007? You mentioned installing both Office 2003 and 2007; did you create separate wineprefixes for them? If you tried to install both to the same wineprefix, you have completely messed it up and need to start over with a clean one. Also, did you follow the instructions in the AppDB for installing Office 2007? If not, please do so.

If you have installed Office 2007 to a clean wineprefix in 1.9.23 or later following the instructions in the AppDB and the problem is still present, please post terminal output from trying to open a file.
juntjoo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by juntjoo »

dimesio wrote:WineHQ binary packages for Ubuntu for 1.9.24 haven't been built yet, so it's unlikely you have it, though for this purpose 1.9.23 would be good enough. But please open a terminal and type

wine --version
and report what it returns. I have to ask that, because people often think they have the latest version when they don't.

It's unlikely you have encountered a bug, as opening files in Office 2007 still works fine on my system. How did you install Office 2007? You mentioned installing both Office 2003 and 2007; did you create separate wineprefixes for them? If you tried to install both to the same wineprefix, you have completely messed it up and need to start over with a clean one. Also, did you follow the instructions in the AppDB for installing Office 2007? If not, please do so.

If you have installed Office 2007 to a clean wineprefix in 1.9.23 or later following the instructions in the AppDB and the problem is still present, please post terminal output from trying to open a file.
Thanks

ben@Hal:~$ wine version
fixme:ole:CoInitializeSecurity (0x45ae98,-1,(nil),(nil),6,2,(nil),64,(nil)) - stub!
fixme:ole:RemUnknown_QueryInterface No interface for iid {00000019-0000-0000-c000-000000000046}
wine: cannot find L"C:\\windows\\system32\\version.exe"

idk

as far as your other questions, the best I can answer is that I went here:

https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu

and followed the instructions.
I installed "winetricks" first just looking in the software center for the app before I figured out I still hadn't found it and ended up here.

I tried uninstalling both versions of office by the same route I took to install them, by going straight to the setup file to start that process to remove them but it never worked. So what should I do now? I had been working on other alternatives but it's still looking like using ms office would be best for me. If we can get this working that'd be great. Thanks for trying
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

juntjoo wrote: ben@Hal:~$ wine version
That should be

wine --version
Yes, those two dashes matter.
I tried uninstalling both versions of office by the same route I took to install them, by going straight to the setup file to start that process to remove them but it never worked. So what should I do now?

Delete the wineprefix altogether and start over with a clean 32 bit one. Read https://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#Wineprefixes for more information on wineprefixes.
juntjoo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by juntjoo »

dimesio wrote:
juntjoo wrote: ben@Hal:~$ wine version
That should be

wine --version
Yes, those two dashes matter.
I tried uninstalling both versions of office by the same route I took to install them, by going straight to the setup file to start that process to remove them but it never worked. So what should I do now?

Delete the wineprefix altogether and start over with a clean 32 bit one. Read https://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#Wineprefixes for more information on wineprefixes.
Thanks.

"At present there are some significant bugs that prevent many 32 bit applications from working in a 64 bit wineprefix. To work around this, you can create a new 32 bit wineprefix using the WINEARCH environment variable. In a terminal, type:

so maybe that's why it wasn't working for me! well either way I'll work on creating a 32bit prefix and reinstall wine...
juntjoo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by juntjoo »

"..is not owned by you" I googled that then read about ten threads which all looked to be in chinese to me.something about "sudo". keeps reminding me of that phil collins song "su su ...SUUU DiOOOH!"

I'm not sure what this means? But I learned one thing: "NEVER RUN WINE AS ROOT OR WITH SUDO"

so I did this as I saw it instructed in a couple threads:

ben@Hal:~$ ls -la .wine
total 7932
drwxrwxr-x 4 ben ben 4096 Nov 26 16:31 .
drwxr-xr-x 28 ben ben 4096 Nov 26 21:23 ..
drwxrwxr-x 2 ben ben 4096 Nov 26 11:56 dosdevices
drwxrwxr-x 7 ben ben 4096 Nov 26 08:32 drive_c
-rw-rw-r-- 1 ben ben 7865212 Nov 26 16:31 system.reg
-rw-rw-r-- 1 ben ben 11 Nov 25 21:49 .update-timestamp
-rw-rw-r-- 1 ben ben 3202 Nov 25 20:28 userdef.reg
-rw-rw-r-- 1 ben ben 228082 Nov 26 16:31 user.reg

it's supposed to tell you guys something maybe really important. ...anything?

Then I saw to do this:

ben@Hal:~$ winecfg
wine: created the configuration directory '/home/ben/.wine'
err:ole:marshal_object couldn't get IPSFactory buffer for interface {00000131-0000-0000-c000-000000000046}
err:ole:marshal_object couldn't get IPSFactory buffer for interface {00000131-0000-0000-c000-000000000046}
err:ole:marshal_object couldn't get IPSFactory buffer for interface {6d5140c1-7436-11ce-8034-00aa006009fa}
err:ole:marshal_object couldn't get IPSFactory buffer for interface {6d5140c1-7436-11ce-8034-00aa006009fa}
err:ole:StdMarshalImpl_MarshalInterface Failed to create ifstub, hres=0x80004002
err:ole:StdMarshalImpl_MarshalInterface Failed to create ifstub, hres=0x80004002
err:ole:CoMarshalInterface Failed to marshal the interface {6d5140c1-7436-11ce-8034-00aa006009fa}, 80004002
err:ole:CoMarshalInterface Failed to marshal the interface {6d5140c1-7436-11ce-8034-00aa006009fa}, 80004002
err:ole:get_local_server_stream Failed: 80004002
fixme:ntdll:NtLockFile I/O completion on lock not implemented yet
err:mscoree:LoadLibraryShim error reading registry key for installroot
err:winediag:SECUR32_initNTLMSP ntlm_auth was not found or is outdated. Make sure that ntlm_auth >= 3.0.25 is in your path. Usually, you can find it in the winbind package of your distribution.
fixme:dwmapi:DwmIsCompositionEnabled 0x6dbd1518
fixme:iphlpapi:NotifyIpInterfaceChange (family 0, callback 0x69ebd3de, context 0x8b64e0, init_notify 0, handle 0x119e1a0): stub
err:winediag:SECUR32_initNTLMSP ntlm_auth was not found or is outdated. Make sure that ntlm_auth >= 3.0.25 is in your path. Usually, you can find it in the winbind package of your distribution.
fixme:iphlpapi:NotifyIpInterfaceChange (family 0, callback 0x6a0cb608, context 0x938728, init_notify 0, handle 0x116e794): stub
wine: configuration in '/home/ben/.wine' has been updated.

but still the "is not owned by you" message. Maybe I should just ignore this message and continue with the intallation?
juntjoo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by juntjoo »

dimesio wrote:WineHQ binary packages for Ubuntu for 1.9.24 haven't been built yet, so it's unlikely you have it, though for this purpose 1.9.23 would be good enough. But please open a terminal and type

wine --version

how do you do this? I've been at this for hours. I uninstalled everything. Reinstalled with a 32bit folder and same issues. it says my files are corrupt and cannot save new ones either.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

The "is not owned by you" message should only come up when trying to run something from a wineprefix that isn't owned by the user trying to run it, i.e., it was created and is owned by a different user. However, the permissions you posted show that "ben" does own the wineprefix, so I don't know why you're getting that message.
That created a fresh wineprefix, but since you didn't specify WINEARCH=win32, it would be a 64 bit one. Delete that one and create a 32 bit one with

WINEARCH=win32 winecfg
Before reinstalling Office 2007 you definitely have to take care of this:
The need for winbind is explicitly mentioned in the AppDB instructions that I told you to follow.

If the problem persists after all that, post terminal output from trying to open a file. If the log is too long to paste or attach here, post it at pastebin.com or a similar site and post the link here.
juntjoo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by juntjoo »

dimesio wrote:The "is not owned by you" message should only come up when trying to run something from a wineprefix that isn't owned by the user trying to run it, i.e., it was created and is owned by a different user. However, the permissions you posted show that "ben" does own the wineprefix, so I don't know why you're getting that message.
That created a fresh wineprefix, but since you didn't specify WINEARCH=win32, it would be a 64 bit one. Delete that one and create a 32 bit one with

WINEARCH=win32 winecfg
Before reinstalling Office 2007 you definitely have to take care of this:
The need for winbind is explicitly mentioned in the AppDB instructions that I told you to follow.

If the problem persists after all that, post terminal output from trying to open a file. If the log is too long to paste or attach here, post it at pastebin.com or a similar site and post the link here.

thank you. i don't know how to "post terminal output from trying to open a file". terminal as in that little black window you type commands in? there is nothing in there.

winbind. it didn't really say much about that. I googled and got a command to install it. I think it worked. as far as reinstalling anything, i googled both uninstalling wine and wine apps and I get various threads with various methods and all I can do is try them all and hope something worked. it seems i still have ms office still installed. what would you suggest now? I can go into more detail about previously mentioned steps but there is a lot. maybe you can help simplify this. let me know if I should post more details on anything. excel opens all docs as corrupt. they aren't. same installation works in windows 10. Thanks
juntjoo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by juntjoo »

there is no uninstall wine apps app in my computer. i tried alt+f2 which brings up some wine app and ... I forgot what happened next. this is all new to me. I'd have to video record all these foreign steps to remember each one in details. i manually deleted the wine folder, ran a bunch of commands I found in google to uninstall wine, commands that looked like they scoured the system for wine related folders and deleted them, but if i type in the command to get the version of wine it gives an answer as if wine is still installed. i'm guessing I got that 32 bit folder installed as when i tried the command i don't recall any error. so maybe i dont need to touch the wine installation. still cant uninstall ms office though.
juntjoo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by juntjoo »

i got the "not ownedby you" message when first trying to create the 32bit folder. used sudo to solve that
juntjoo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by juntjoo »

when I try to uninstall office with this method I get this:

ben@Hal:~$ wine uninstaller
fixme:system:SetProcessDPIAware stub!
fixme:htmlhelp:HtmlHelpW HH case HH_INITIALIZE not handled.
fixme:richedit:REExtendedRegisterClass semi stub
fixme:richedit:ME_HandleMessage EM_SETEDITSTYLE: stub
fixme:richedit:ME_HandleMessage EM_SETBIDIOPTIONS: stub
err:ole:COMPOBJ_DllList_Add couldn't load in-process dll L"C:\\PROG~5P2\\COMM~CP1\\MICR~NEI\\OFFICE12\\MSOXMLMF.DLL"
err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {807563e5-5146-11d5-a672-00b0d022e945} could be created for context 0x1
err:ole:COMPOBJ_DllList_Add couldn't load in-process dll L"C:\\PROG~5P2\\COMM~CP1\\MICR~NEI\\OFFICE12\\MSOXMLMF.DLL"
err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {807563e5-5146-11d5-a672-00b0d022e945} could be created for context 0x1
fixme:msxml:dom_pi_get_attributes created dummy map for <?xml ?>
fixme:msi:MsiIsProductElevatedW L"{90120000-0011-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}" 0x33b90c - stub
fixme:htmlhelp:HtmlHelpW HH case HH_UNINITIALIZE not handled.
fixme:netapi32:NetGetJoinInformation Semi-stub (null) 0x33eff0 0x33efe4
fixme:system:SetProcessDPIAware stub!
fixme:htmlhelp:HtmlHelpW HH case HH_INITIALIZE not handled.
fixme:richedit:REExtendedRegisterClass semi stub
fixme:msi:MsiIsProductElevatedW L"{90120000-0011-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}" 0x33b90c - stub
fixme:htmlhelp:HtmlHelpW HH case HH_UNINITIALIZE not handled.
fixme:netapi32:NetGetJoinInformation Semi-stub (null) 0x33eff0 0x33efe4

the window comes up, I select then remove office, and it's still installed.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Assuming you're using 1.9.23 or later, you don't need to reinstall Wine, and doing that won't solve anything. The issue is with the wineprefix.

You're right, running wine uninstaller to uninstall Office doesn't work, and even if it did the wineprefix would still be unclean, which is why I never suggested doing that. What I told you to do was delete the wineprefix and start over.

You should never run Wine as sudo/root, and if you have, you've messed up the permissions on the wineprefix. If running as sudo solved the "not owned by you" message that suggests that you had run Wine as sudo some time prior to that, possibly without knowing that's what you were doing.

Let's start from scratch, and create a separate, 32 bit wineprefix for Office.

In a terminal, as a normal user, type:

WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=$HOME/office2007 wineboot
This should return a message about creating the wineprefix. There will be a few ole and mscoree errors; if you have more than that, post the output.

Then, to install Office 2007:

WINEPREFIX=$HOME/office2007 wine start /unix '/path/to/setup.exe'
Important: substitute the actual Unix-style path to the Office 2007 installer for /path/to/setup.exe in the line above, and do encase the path in single quotes. I can't be more specific because I have no way of knowing what the actual path is on your computer.

Once you've installed Office 2007, run winecfg:

WINEPREFIX=$HOME/office2007 winecfg
Go to the Libraries tab, select riched20 from the dropdown list and add click Add, then click Apply. Close winecfg.

Now, run Word 2007 and try to open an existing file.

WINEPREFIX=$HOME/office2007 wine start /unix '/path/to/winword.exe'
As with the installer, use the actual path to winword.exe in the command line.

If that works, repeat for the other Office apps. If it doesn't, post terminal output.
juntjoo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by juntjoo »

ben@Hal:~$ WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=$HOME/office2007 wineboot
wine: created the configuration directory '/home/ben/office2007'
fixme:iphlpapi:NotifyIpInterfaceChange (family 0, callback 0x6a0cb608, context 0x938728, init_notify 0, handle 0x116e794): stub
wine: configuration in '/home/ben/office2007' has been updated.

hmm... lots of negativity in there. idk, reinstalling now...
juntjoo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by juntjoo »

fixme:ole:NdrCorrelationInitialize (0x94e250, 0x94e32c, 1024, 0x0): semi-stub
fixme:ntdll:NtFsControlFile FSCTL_PIPE_IMPERSONATE: impersonating self
fixme:ole:NdrCorrelationFree (0x94e250): stub
fixme:ole:NdrCorrelationFree (0xa0c8e50): stub
fixme:ole:NdrCorrelationInitialize (0xa0c8e50, 0xa0c8fdc, 1024, 0x0): semi-stub
fixme:ole:NdrCorrelationInitialize (0x84e250, 0x84e32c, 1024, 0x0): semi-stub
fixme:ole:NdrCorrelationFree (0x84e250): stub
fixme:ole:NdrCorrelationInitialize (0xa0cb9c0, 0xa0cbb4c, 1024, 0x0): semi-stub
fixme:ole:NdrCorrelationFree (0xa0cb9c0): stub
fixme:ole:NdrCorrelationInitialize (0xa0ca380, 0xa0ca50c, 1024, 0x0): semi-stub
fixme:ole:NdrCorrelationFree (0xa0ca380): stub
fixme:ole:NdrCorrelationInitialize (0xa0c97d0, 0xa0c995c, 1024, 0x0): semi-stub
fixme:ntdll:N...

pages of this were coming from the wine explorer gui while I was installing office.. I'll restart now...
juntjoo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by juntjoo »

Dimesio, I love you!!