textures corrupted in World of Warcraft

Questions about Wine on Linux
petrock

textures corrupted in World of Warcraft

Post by petrock »

I tried to play World of Warcraft on Wine but often see corrupted textures. These tend to flicker back and forth between showing the normal and corrupted appearance (screenshot attached). When the corruption is occurring there is also a significant frame rate drop. On the AppDB page (https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... &iId=33768) I see a mention of a possibly similar issue when running with -opengl, however I see this issue without -opengl (and the game refuses to start at all when I use -opengl).

Wine version: 1.9.22 (from PPA)
Graphics card: Radeon HD 7770

I haven't made any configuration tweaks other than adjusting the detail level inside World of Warcraft, which did not fix the problem.
Attachments
wow_error.jpg
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: textures corrupted in World of Warcraft

Post by Bob Wya »

petrock wrote: On the AppDB page (https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... &iId=33768) I see a mention of a possibly similar issue when running with -opengl, however I see this issue without -opengl (and the game refuses to start at all when I use -opengl).
An Arch user has recently tested the game thoroughly, with Wine (Staging) 1.9.21, on an Nvidia 1060 (still the gold standard for Linux GL gaming performance) and it doesn't work well in any mode (opengl, directx9 or directx11 - the last item isn't nearly implemented in Wine anyway). So you've merely duplicated his findings. The RadeonSI performance and rendering accuracy - will be lower than the Nvidia blob (that's still a given). So I'm not quite sure why you are bothering posting on the WineHQ forums - if you've already read this information??

You've chosen to play a non-native game, that has regular updates... That's not a recipe for a pleasant experience when using Wine... :cry:

Bob
olivierfrdierick
Level 5
Level 5

Post by olivierfrdierick »

I just tested WoW in plain wine-1.9.22 and have no flickering texture issue (at least in Stormwind).

Open the C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\WTF\Config.wtf file in your World of Warcraft wineprefix and look for the gxApi line.
It should read :

Code: Select all

SET gxApi "D3D9"
petrock

Post by petrock »

olivierfrdierick wrote:I just tested WoW in plain wine-1.9.22 and have no flickering texture issue (at least in Stormwind).

Open the C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\WTF\Config.wtf file in your World of Warcraft wineprefix and look for the gxApi line.
It should read :

SET gxApi "D3D9"
That line is present in my Config.wtf.

I see similar problems even in Stormwind.
olivierfrdierick
Level 5
Level 5

• Try disabling any add-ons you may use.
  • Try the Battle.net repair tool.
  • If not fixed, paste wine terminal output
Is the prefix 32 or 64-bits? and WoW client?
ShannonB

Post by ShannonB »

I have exactly the same issue as the OP. There are currently threads on the WoW technical support forums regarding graphical glitches and they seem to involve OpenGL, but it doesn't seem to be strictly limited to OpenGL. Also the descriptions of the glitches don't match what I'm seeing. The screenshot posted by the OP is exactly the issue I have. There are also no water textures in the game whatsoever .e.g. boats seem to be hanging in the sky.

I'm running a GTX 1060 with 6gb onboard.
I disabled all addons.
The issue appears when using the -openGL flag.
When switching to Dx9 the game freezes at the login screen after a few seconds.

This may well be an issue on Blizzard's side, but since they haven't said anything about it in 2 weeks I'm trying to make sure it's nothing that can be fixed on my side.

I also found this info: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... &iId=33768
I did experience one headache-inducing problem that i had a tricky time tracking down with my new box, but it's not a WoW-specific problem. It manifest as strobing or pulsating textures in many areas. It was really psychadelic and also slowed down the render to a few fps. I was able to rule out the radeon drivers as the culprit, and fortunately noticed a log message "err:winediag:wined3d_texture_init The application tried to create a DXTn texture, but the driver does not support them.", which led me to this post: http://askubuntu.com/questions/342657/s ... untu-12-04, and then installed the 64 bit version of the proprietary texture compression package:
sudo apt-get install libtxc-dxtn-s2tc0:amd64
Tried that but found that everything was already installed.

When I run WoW I use the following command line arguments: "__GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1 WINEDEBUG=-all wine wow.exe -opengl"
petrock

Post by petrock »

ShannonB wrote:I also found this info: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... &iId=33768
I did experience one headache-inducing problem that i had a tricky time tracking down with my new box, but it's not a WoW-specific problem. It manifest as strobing or pulsating textures in many areas. It was really psychadelic and also slowed down the render to a few fps. I was able to rule out the radeon drivers as the culprit, and fortunately noticed a log message "err:winediag:wined3d_texture_init The application tried to create a DXTn texture, but the driver does not support them.", which led me to this post: http://askubuntu.com/questions/342657/s ... untu-12-04, and then installed the 64 bit version of the proprietary texture compression package:
Thanks for pointing out this one -- it turns out that it is the solution in my case. Once libtxc-dxtn-s2tc0 is installed, the game now renders correctly (in DirectX 9 mode at least) and the framerate is reasonable most of the time although it slows down significantly in raids.
pga256
Level 2
Level 2

Post by pga256 »

petrock wrote:
ShannonB wrote:I also found this info: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... &iId=33768
Thanks for pointing out this one -- it turns out that it is the solution in my case. Once libtxc-dxtn-s2tc0 is installed, the game now renders correctly (in DirectX 9 mode at least) and the framerate is reasonable most of the time although it slows down significantly in raids.
I have found that by adding the following line to the World of Warcraft/WTF/Config.wtf file, framerate drops in raids and busy cities are dramatically improved:

SET gxTextureCacheSize "512"

This limits the amount of extra processing the system CPU has to do in busy situations.
Additionally, try disabling glsl using winetricks if graphics lag gets too bad.
ShannonB

Post by ShannonB »

Is there some trick to getting it to work with DirextX 9? I've got an Intel i5 CPU, 16gb ram and a GTX 1060 card and it just crashes the moment I try to open it in DX9 mode.
leopheard

Post by leopheard »

I have this problem with Wine 2.1 (see here: https://www.dropbox.com/sc/r7tkxbvyhagi ... xsRexzqzia)

The wierd thing is it's fine when it's just me, but when another user runs past the FPS drops massively and it flickers till they're off screen. What's that about? I can do all sorts of dungeons by myself, but with any other user it goes crazy.
olivierfrdierick
Level 5
Level 5

ShannonB wrote:Is there some trick to getting it to work with DirextX 9? I've got an Intel i5 CPU, 16gb ram and a GTX 1060 card and it just crashes the moment I try to open it in DX9 mode.
I need no tricks to get WoW running in DX9 mode.

Make sure you have this line in Program Files/World of Warcraft/WTF/Config.wtf:

SET gxApi "D3D9"
There should not be more than one SET gxApi line in the file.

Also make sure that you do not start WoW.exe with -opengl argument, as that will force opengl rendering.

If it still doesn't work, give the exact commands used to start WoW and copy-paste full terminal output.
leopheard wrote:I have this problem with Wine 2.1 (see here: https://www.dropbox.com/sc/r7tkxbvyhagi ... xsRexzqzia)

The wierd thing is it's fine when it's just me, but when another user runs past the FPS drops massively and it flickers till they're off screen. What's that about? I can do all sorts of dungeons by myself, but with any other user it goes crazy.
Flickering bad textures are a bug in opengl rendering. Try with DX9/DX11 mode.