Sketchup Make 2016

Questions about Wine on Linux
D'Artagnan

Sketchup Make 2016

Post by D'Artagnan »

Sketchup make does not work with either Wine 1.8 or Wine 1.9.20. Every time I try to run the exe files (both 32 and 64 bit) it tells me that Wine only works with Win7 or later, even when I adjust the compatibility settings in winecfg.

I am running Ubuntu 16.04. I was going to try Sketchup on a Debian VM, but virtualization is not enabled in BIOS and I forgot my BIOS password. I hope I can reset it by unhooking the motherboard battery.

It certainly seems like Google created a patch that would not allow Sketchup to work with Wine.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Sketchup Make 2016

Post by Bob Wya »

Setting the Windows version to Windows Vista (or newer) - simply exposes some newer Windows API calls that were introduced at that time. You may find that a call to one of these newer calls is failing when you try to run Sketchup.

Have a look at the WineHQ AppDB page: Main > Multimedia > Graphics > Animation/Rendering/3D > SketchUp > 2016 for some suggested workarounds. Anyone running Gentoo can be "trusted" (it's true!!)

If that doesn't work for you... Post a Wine console log here to help "us" troubleshoot the problem further... Include the launch command, and working directory!

Bob
D'Artagnan

Re: Sketchup Make 2016

Post by D'Artagnan »

I tried MOGhouse' guide to install Sketchup 32 bit. It didn't work. First it could not find ie8 and ie7 (is that Internet Explorer?). Then it cuold not install the DLL/Components. It said something about needing to rename a directory.

In short it didn't work.