Installing a package for a program already run under Wine

Questions about Wine on Linux
chiara.ma

Installing a package for a program already run under Wine

Post by chiara.ma »

Hello,

I use Ubuntu 16.04 and the Wine version delivered with this Ubuntu version. Yesterday I have installed the PDf program PDF-Xchange under Wine and as it seems it now works relatively stable. To improve my OCR tool I now wanted to install an additional language package for other languages than English. So I downloaded the package (it's an .exe) and tried to install it via the Wine Windows Programstarter. First it seemed like everything has worked, but when I now open the PDF program I see that Wine did not conjoin the language package with the main program.
What have I done wrong? Do I use the Wine Windows installer in the right way? Is it even possible to tell Wine that an application I'd like to install is a package for another program which is already installed under Wine?

I am really thankful for your help! Please consider that I am quite new to Linux and don't have a professional comprehension for such things yet. So if I have to do anything with the terminal to solve the problem, it would really help me if you would give me the detailed commands I have to enter.

Thank you a lot!
Best wishes,
Chiara
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Installing a package for a program already run under Win

Post by Bob Wya »

Que? Wine Windows Programstarter? Je ne comprends-pa!!

For starters the more detailed and factual your online requests for help are - the more likely you'll actually get some help!!

It would be easier if you just posted what commands you have used... Rather than "army wavy" descriptions of what you've done!

Have tried to use the portable version of PDF-XChange Viewer?
Just extract that archive straight in (default Wineprefix):

Code: Select all

~/.wine/drive_c
and run them from there:

cd ~/.wine/drive_c
wine PDFXCview.exe
They appear to bundle a whole bunch of xml language files with that version.

If that doesn't work - then Windows compatibility can be increased if you use a 32-bit Wineprefix (on a 64-bit Linux System):

export WINEARCH=win32
rm -rf ~/.wine # !!!! WARNING: this will delete your existing default Wineprefix !!!!
wineboot -u
See WineHQ FAQ: 6.5.3 How do I create a 32 bit wineprefix on a 64 bit system?

Bob
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Bob Wya wrote:Que? Wine Windows Programstarter? Je ne comprends-pa!!
I was baffled by that too, but I think the OP might be referring to what appears in the popup menu when right-clicking a .exe file in a file manager. On openSUSE Wine is just listed as Wine in that list, but I believe on some distros (Ubuntu?) it appears as "Wine Windows Program Loader."
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

dimesio wrote: I was baffled by that too, but I think the OP might be referring to what appears in the popup menu when right-clicking a .exe file in a file manager. On openSUSE Wine is just listed as Wine in that list, but I believe on some distros (Ubuntu?) it appears as "Wine Windows Program Loader."
Well what do you know... Gentoo does that as well! Of course I never launch executables with my File Manager - so naturally I wouldn't realise... :lol:
Mind you we pull in an Ubuntu-derived base archive with .desktop files and hi-resolution icons - so that's where that description coming from.