Original War Steam Version

Questions about Wine on Linux
coshmar

Original War Steam Version

Post by coshmar »

Hi guys,
I try to make Original War (Steam version) run on Wine. Some time ago I was able to play this game on Ubuntu 14.04 with Wine 1.7.19 (version taken from WineDB).
Now I tried to install it once again on Ubuntu 16.04 and no matter which version of Wine I pick, The result is similar - I always am able to install Steam and download the game.
When I launch the game, I see an intro and the game crashes (or the game does not start).
Here is the log of game launch on Wine 1.8.4:
https://gist.github.com/anonymous/eba36 ... 919d41a218
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Original War Steam Version

Post by Bob Wya »

coshmar wrote:Hi guys,
I try to make Original War (Steam version) run on Wine. Some time ago I was able to play this game on Ubuntu 14.04 with Wine 1.7.19 (version taken from WineDB).
Now I tried to install it once again on Ubuntu 16.04 and no matter which version of Wine I pick, The result is similar - I always am able to install Steam and download the game.
When I launch the game, I see an intro and the game crashes (or the game does not start).
Here is the log of game launch on Wine 1.8.4:
https://gist.github.com/anonymous/eba36 ... 919d41a218
Can you re-test in a clean 32-bit Wineprefix using vanilla Wine. PlayOnLinux is not supported on these forums - they've got their own!! See the WineHQ FAQ ...
That may sound fussy - but they have build scripts with a "dubious reputation"...

What launch command are you actually using:

Code: Select all

WINEPREFIX=~/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/OW/ WINEARCH=win32 ~/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/OW/drive_c/Program\ Files/Steam/steamapps/common/Original\ War/OwarOGL.exe
won't do anything!!

Have you tried running your application in a Wine Virtual Desktop... Since you appear to be getting a xrandr-based error:

X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
Of course that could also be because you've not got a fully working multilib graphics driver, X, etc.

The WineHQ repository is only supplying builds of the latest Wine version - which is currently 1.9.20 - so I'm not sure where you got version 1.9.19 from!!
I recommend testing with the latest development release (since it's the only "officially supported" packaged Wine version for Ubuntu).

The WineHQ AppDB page: Main > Games > Strategy Games > Original War doesn't suggest you should have any issues...

Bob
coshmar

Post by coshmar »

Bob Wya wrote:What launch command are you actually using:

WINEPREFIX=~/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/OW/ WINEARCH=win32 ~/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/OW/drive_c/Program\ Files/Steam/steamapps/common/Original\ War/OwarOGL.exe
won't do anything!!
I solved the issue by changing launch command to:

WINEPREFIX=~/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/OriginalWar/ WINEARCH=win32 ~/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/OriginalWar/drive_c/Program\ Files/Steam/steamapps/common/Original\ War/OwarOGL_DEBUG.exe sameres customres 1600 900
Bob Wya wrote:The WineHQ repository is only supplying builds of the latest Wine version - which is currently 1.9.20 - so I'm not sure where you got version 1.9.19 from!!
As you know I use PlayOnLinux. PlayOnLinux allows you to easily manage Wine prefixes and Wine versions. You can install any Wine version, for example 1.9.19.
Bob Wya wrote: I recommend testing with the latest development release (since it's the only "officially supported" packaged Wine version for Ubuntu).

The WineHQ AppDB page: Main > Games > Strategy Games > Original War doesn't suggest you should have any issues...
It does not include Steam version of the game.

Anyway, the game works now for me, I just have one issue in menu:
http://i.imgur.com/x9JHqcT.png
But I can live with it.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

coshmar wrote: Anyway, the game works now for me, I just have one issue in menu:
http://i.imgur.com/x9JHqcT.png
But I can live with it.
Dual-monitor problems? I usually workaround xrandr issues by using a Wine Virtual Desktop - at my native panel resolution.

Bob
Stucuk

Post by Stucuk »

I am the guy who has been maintaining and developing Original War since 2005 (Voluntary basis).

All Platforms Original War has been released on (Steam, Retail, GoG, etc) use the same "Version". There are no special builds for different platforms (Which is how the patches can be applied to any). Versions after 1.12.10.12 support the Steam API but Steam API features (Achievements/Overlay) are only used if Steam is detected and you actually own the game on steam, it will likely have zero impact on Wine.

You shouldn't be using OwarOGL_DEBUG.exe . Its not been updated in a long time. You should be using 2.0.3.5 as a base (Which is what steam is currently at) and then applying the latest WIP build on top. Only OwarDD.exe (Direct Draw) or OwarOGL.exe (OpenGL) should be used (Technically Owar.exe). You should use Owar.exe first to setup the resolution/etc.

You shouldn't need to use custom parameters to get it working. Using the launcher (Owar.exe) and going to Configuration should be enough (I recommend enabling Single Resolution).

The Main Menu "Issue" will likely be due to you using SameRes. SameRes in older (And may include the currently released WIP builds) versions for the OGL renderer did have "Issues" when it came to the background image.

P.S I can't comment on newer versions of Wine/LinuxOS but a very old version of Linux Mint could run Original War (Recent builds of OW) fine (Unfortunately the old PC i had that on is on its last legs). I did managed to get a stripped down version of the Original War Dedicated Server to run on a Raspberry Pi 3 via the Wine_Console (Though had no luck getting "wine" working on non-wine exes).