How to porperly configure Linux and some other information

Questions about Wine on Linux
giovilix47

How to porperly configure Linux and some other information

Post by giovilix47 »

Hi everybody! I'm new here! :D
I've been using Linux for some months now, and currently I'm using Debian 8 Jessie Stable.
Now, my intention is to play some Windows games which aren't officially supported by PlayOnLinux.
Therefore, I'd like to use only Wine because I want to run a system which must be as clean as possible.
But I've some lacks with Wine:
1) Should I install the version included in the Debian Stable repository (Wine 1.6.2-20) or should I install a newer version?
2) Should I install other packages, like for example Winetricks or Wine Uninstall?
3) What are the passages I should do in order to correctly install a game or a software (Prefix, Windows version, DLL and libraries etc...)?

Thanks for your help!
dimesio

Re: How to porperly configure Linux and some other informati

Post by dimesio »

1. 1.6.2 is over two years old and no longer supported. Use the WineHQ development or staging packages. https://wiki.winehq.org/Debian
2. Wine uninstall is part of Wine. Winetricks is a separate project, but useful.
3. Not sure what you mean by "passages." Consult the AppDB for info about the specific apps/games you want to install. For general info on how to use Wine, consult the FAQ and the Wine User's Guide.
giovilix47

Post by giovilix47 »

OK, thanks. Do you suggest me to use a front end or to use only Wine?
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Whether or not to use a front end for Wine is a matter of personal preference. Just keep in mind that none of the front ends are supported here; if you ask for help here and have used one, you will be told to retest in plain Wine.