network problem of sorts

Questions about Wine on Linux
squezey

network problem of sorts

Post by squezey »

I'm using linux mint 17.3 and I'm not sure what update did it, as I didn't change anything myself but I noticed something that has to do with Wine's networking abilities is no longer working for me but I'm not sure what it could possibly be that is a problem across multiple programs. I go into Steam and though I can log on and use my friends list or even receive downloads and chat I can't use any of the web pages inside the program like "store, profile page, community, ect-", I recently bought another game that tried to register itself and it couldn't because of a communication error that happened, and finally yesterday I tried installing Dungeon Fighter Online and all went well until I got a message from the the update window with the web page in it that I had to log in before playing and couldn't go on but the strange thing with that was that the page below actually showed up and I was able to so something was just not communicating. Sorry if I can't be more technical here but it's not like I'm even getting any other system error messages, something with Wine's networking aspects is just not working as far as I can tell.
dimesio

Re: network problem of sorts

Post by dimesio »

Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: network problem of sorts

Post by Bob Wya »

squezey wrote:... I go into Steam and though I can log on and use my friends list or even receive downloads and chat I can't use any of the web pages inside the program like "store, profile page, community, ect-" ...
Please see WineHQ AppDB page: Steam (Official Release) ...
I keep that up-to-date with the latest Steam breakages - as soon as they are reported!

Make sure you have a supported version of Wine (i.e. ≥1.8).

Make sure you launch the Steam client with:

Code: Select all

cd "${WINEPREFIX:-${HOME}/.wine}/drive_c/Program Files/Steam"
wine Steam.exe -no-cef-sandbox
Is the tl;dr version of the page!!

The next worrying thing to watch out for is the "Chromium Embedded Framework" (CEF) is expected to switch to forced sandboxing v. soon (followed shortly by the Steam client - which is built directly on top of this framework)... Then there won't be a workaround for this issue at all... :roll:

Bob