Sound crackling after extended gameplay (1.9.17)

Questions about Wine on Linux
bush5150
Level 2
Level 2

Sound crackling after extended gameplay (1.9.17)

Post by bush5150 »

I'm using Wine 1.9.17 (just noticed 1.9.18 was released). Here's my issue:
Whenever I play a game for extended periods of time (SimCity 4, Diablo 2, etc), the sound begins to crackle. It rights itself out after about a minute and things are "ok" for a while. This problem progressively gets worse. After few more minutes, it crackles and takes 2 minutes to "autocorrect". Eventually it gets to the point where I have to close out the game and restart it to remedy the issue. I didn't have these issues with other versions of Wine (I used 1.9.12 for the longest but recently upgraded). Any ideas?
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Sound crackling after extended gameplay (1.9.17)

Post by Bob Wya »

bush5150 wrote:I'm using Wine 1.9.17 (just noticed 1.9.18 was released). Here's my issue:
Whenever I play a game for extended periods of time (SimCity 4, Diablo 2, etc), the sound begins to crackle. It rights itself out after about a minute and things are "ok" for a while. This problem progressively gets worse. After few more minutes, it crackles and takes 2 minutes to "autocorrect". Eventually it gets to the point where I have to close out the game and restart it to remedy the issue. I didn't have these issues with other versions of Wine (I used 1.9.12 for the longest but recently upgraded). Any ideas?
  • Do you see the classic pulseaudio buffer underuns console spam - when running those games and experiencing those issues?
  • What distribution are you using? Did pulseaudio, or another component of your system, get updated at the same time (as the wine package) for example?
  • Perhaps a regression test might be warranted?
Bob
bush5150
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Sound crackling after extended gameplay (1.9.17)

Post by bush5150 »

Sorry about the delayed response, I was troubleshooting my issue. To answer your questions:
Bob Wya wrote:
  • Do you see the classic pulseaudio buffer underuns console spam - when running those games and experiencing those issues?
    What distribution are you using? Did pulseaudio, or another component of your system, get updated at the same time (as the wine package) for example?
    Perhaps a regression test might be warranted?
Yes, I see the classic PA Buffer Underrun spam in Terminal:
ALSA lib pcm.c:7843:(snd_pcm_recover) underrun occurred
repeatedly with a 10-15% increase in CPU usage once it happens. I've tried the fixes suggested in that link and nothing has worked. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling PA. I've attempted to run various ALSA plugin modules and setting them up. Nothing seems to cure it. It's fairly consistent with no particular fix affecting it for better or worse (although setting the buffer to 25 msec made it take longer to get there, it still reached the spam in terminal).

I am using Wine 1.9.17 right now. I've thought of upgrading to current developer distro and I might do that before end of week. When I upgraded recently, quite a few things were upgraded. I don't know how to tell what all was upgraded, but it was a significant amount. (I'm still relatively new to Linux and I just learned a valuable lesson - if it's not broke, don't do sudo apt-get upgrade. LOL!!!!)
bush5150
Level 2
Level 2

[Solved] Sound crackling after extended gameplay (1.9.17)

Post by bush5150 »

A bit of a back story. I was going through and removing Linux-based games that I installed about 3 weeks ago when I came across one named "Cowsay" that I knew that I didn't install. I removed it and it crashed Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon. When it rebooted, I was stuck in XFCE mode. I discovered that a lot of system files were also missing. I suspected that Pulseaudio was damaged, too, but didn't think anything of it because my sound worked. It was during this time that I did a mass sudo apt-get upgrade to rectify the issues. I thought I was in the clear. I'm not a hardcore gamer, so when I pulled up Wine to play my games a few weeks after that incident, I started getting the problems I noticed above. It took some tinkering and thinking to put 2 and 2 together. I believe I have fixed it. I installed Linux Mint 18, which is based off Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial (reason for that is because I'd be able to stay up to date on Intel drivers, as I had issues a while back with my Intel vid card). Once installation was complete, I installed Wine 1.9.18 (latest dev release) followed by the windows games. So far, I don't have any issues with sound after lengthy gameplay. What I believe happened was that my Pulseaudio drivers and/or Wine system files became corrupted either during the uninstall of Cowsay or the mass upgrade. Either way, a complete reformat of hard drive and an install of the latest Mint release seems to have corrected my issue. Thanks for your assistance, Bob.