Gamemaker 8.0 stopped working after reinstall of Ubuntu 14.0

Questions about Wine on Linux
pac1jpsnet
Level 1
Level 1

Gamemaker 8.0 stopped working after reinstall of Ubuntu 14.0

Post by pac1jpsnet »

I regrettably upgraded to Fedora 16.04 and my Wine crashed giving me "Program Closed Unexpectedly" error when trying to use Gamemaker 8.0. It used to work on Ubuntu 14.04 with the older version of Wine 1.6.2. So I did a clean reinstall of Ubuntu 14.04 and Wine and still no luck. I can run some programs on Wine but not the legacy Gamemaker. Wondering what I need to do or what did I forget to do when I first had Ubuntu installed on my laptop. It used to work just fine but no more. Did complete uninstall of Gamemaker and then reinstalled but no success. Tried CrossOver but didn't like it as it tried to make bottles of any exe so returned to Wine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
dimesio

Re: Gamemaker 8.0 stopped working after reinstall of Ubuntu

Post by dimesio »

pac1jpsnet wrote:I regrettably upgraded to Fedora 16.04
There is no such Fedora version.
Did complete uninstall of Gamemaker and then reinstalled but no success.
How exactly did you "uninstall" Gamemaker? If you mean you ran Wine's uninstaller, that's not good enough. You need to delete the wineprefix and reinstall to a clean one.
Tried CrossOver but didn't like it as it tried to make bottles of any exe so returned to Wine.
Installing to separate wineprefixes is recommended, and if you have other apps installed in that wineprefix that you don't want to delete it's what you are going to have to do for Gamemaker.
pac1jpsnet
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pac1jpsnet »

I am clueless how to uninstall a particular Wine prefix for an application. If there is a terminal command that works would probably prefer that method. Thanks for any help.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

https://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#How_do_I_wi ... llation.3F

That will delete the entire wineprefix, so if you have any other apps installed there that you want to keep, don't do it. If that is the case, follow these instructions to install Gamemaker to a separate wineprefix: https://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#Can_I_store ... 2F.wine.3F
pac1jpsnet
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pac1jpsnet »

Before I do anything with Wine I noted a specific error trying to open Gamemaker that states as follows:The program stacsv64.exe ecountered a serious problem and needs to close.
Will locating the Wine prefix for Gamemaker which I am still working to figure out in the link, is there anything else I should attempt first?
pac1jpsnet
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pac1jpsnet »

After second reinstall Gamemaker 8.0 now loads, but when I try to run a compiled exe of a game then I get "Unexpected error occurred when running game." I did a winedg -- auto and got a more specific error when trying to run a compiled game: a Wine Crash dialog box appears and within states"Internal errors - invalid parameters received. Not a clue how to fix and seem stuck running Gamemaker on the Windows partition of my drive. Any ideas at this point?
Alexmenvery

Gamemaker 8 0 stopped working after reinstall of Ubuntu 14 0

Post by Alexmenvery »

Sorry for bumping this thread, but does nobody have the same issue or does someone got this configured and working?

Thank you
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Gamemaker 8 0 stopped working after reinstall of Ubuntu

Post by Bob Wya »

Alexmenvery wrote:Sorry for bumping this thread, but does nobody have the same issue or does someone got this configured and working?

Thank you
Well we're waiting for you to post something useful!! You've given us zero so far... 8)
But top marks for a highly relevant Forum Thread title!! 8)

To troubleshoot Wine issues you'd need to post some console output: WineHQ FAQ: 10.1.1 How can I get a debugging log (a.k.a. terminal output)?

Are you using a 32-bit Wineprefix or a 64-bit Wineprefix?

What command are you using to launch Gamemaker and what directory are running the command from?
What DLL overrides are you using? Typically installed MS libraries (e.g. dotnet20 - using winetricks).

Wine typically only builds an internal backtrace dialog box - other error message box's are actually generated by the application you are trying run. See Wine Developers Guide: Using the Wine Debugger

Ta
Bob
pac1jpsnet
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pac1jpsnet »

I am running the 64-bit prefix. After double-clicking the exe with no results I typed in the terminal: wine TornadoAlley.exe and the following short list of errors showed up:
fixme:winediag:AUDDRV_GetAudioEndpoint Winepulse is not officially supported by the wine project
fixme:winediag:AUDDRV_GetAudioEndpoint For sound related feedback and support, please visit http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1960599
err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {ef3e932c-d40b-4f51-8ccf-3f98f1b29d5d} not registered
err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {ef3e932c-d40b-4f51-8ccf-3f98f1b29d5d} could be created for context 0x1
One typing winecfg it shows I am using 1.6.2 which used to work. I have no idea why Winepulse keeps messing with stuff. I can play sound with certain programs that load wine, but when I did a test hitting the Audio tab "Test Sound" in the Wine Configuration dialog here is what showed up:
fixme:winediag:AUDDRV_GetAudioEndpoint Winepulse is not officially supported by the wine project
fixme:winediag:AUDDRV_GetAudioEndpoint For sound related feedback and support, please visit http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1960599
err:ole:CoInitializeEx Attempt to change threading model of this apartment from multi-threaded to apartment threaded
^Cfixme:console:CONSOLE_DefaultHandler Terminating process 24 on event 0
fixme:console:CONSOLE_DefaultHandler Terminating process 8 on event 0

When I tried to run a newly created game in Gamemaker with the gmk extenstion, typed wine Testrun.gmk, then I receive this error when Gamemaker runs and tries to compile the game: wine: Bad EXE format for Z:\home\carol\Desktop\Testrun.gmk.

Hope this helps. Thanks.