Compilation warnings: should we report them?

Questions about Wine on Linux
fjfrackiewicz
Level 2
Level 2

Compilation warnings: should we report them?

Post by fjfrackiewicz »

Hi,

Just a quick question:

Should we report any compilation warnings we see while compiling Wine to Bugzilla or is that an issue best left alone? Just wanted to ask so as to not waste anyone's time with a report they could consider erroneous.

Thanks in advance :)
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Compilation warnings: should we report them?

Post by Bob Wya »

fjfrackiewicz wrote:Hi,

Just a quick question:

Should we report any compilation warnings we see while compiling Wine to Bugzilla or is that an issue best left alone? Just wanted to ask so as to not waste anyone's time with a report they could consider erroneous.

Are you talking about anything significant? Seeing as how I'm running Gentoo and I maintain my own wine ebuilds (in a publicly accessible Layman Overlay) I try and keep an eye out for any serious problems... I can see a few "lint-type" issues, in the build logs, that could probably do with tidying up (being an OCD kinda guy - I'd probably do that if it was my "own" project)...

Your best bet for patch acceptance... Would be to file a bug and simultaneously submit a patch to fix the bug... :lol:

Bob
fjfrackiewicz
Level 2
Level 2

Post by fjfrackiewicz »

Bob Wya wrote:
fjfrackiewicz wrote:Hi,

Just a quick question:

Are you talking about anything significant? Seeing as how I'm running Gentoo and I maintain my own wine ebuilds (in a publicly accessible Layman Overlay) I try and keep an eye out for any serious problems... I can see a few "lint-type" issues, in the build logs, that could probably do with tidying up (being an OCD kinda guy - I'd probably do that if it was my "own" project)...

Your best bet for patch acceptance... Would be to file a bug and simultaneously submit a patch to fix the bug... :lol:

Bob
Well, I can't program to save my life so there won't be any patches from me :P

In any case, here's a pastebin of the warnings I managed to collect: http://pastebin.com/PFXUKpgP
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

fjfrackiewicz wrote:
Well, I can't program to save my life so there won't be any patches from me :P

In any case, here's a pastebin of the warnings I managed to collect: http://pastebin.com/PFXUKpgP
@fjfrackiewicz,

Well I'm only on gcc 5.4.0 as the gcc 6.x series has not yet been stabilised on Gentoo... So I can't personally do much about that (as unable to test a patch)... No coding experience required really - it's just tidying up C code block indentation though!!

However I can see quite a lot of gcc 6 specific fixes (for indentation warnings) rolling in on the Wine Git Master branch... So I expect so compilation warnings will eventually get patched - probably before 1.9.17 is released! (Although I don't see any patches specific to msvcirt/tests yet...)

Bob