Big victory with WineHQ and Linux Mint "Sarah"

Questions about Wine on Linux
Antonio

Big victory with WineHQ and Linux Mint "Sarah"

Post by Antonio »

This is amazing.

Sorry, English isn't my first language.

I'm a Linux complete newbie. I installed Linux Mint 18 "Sarah" a couple days ago, and really love it. Before, I was using windows to perform astronomical measurements with 32 and 64 bits software.

Well, Stellarium was available from various sources, but I couldn't find any software able to match the incredible Alcyone Ephemeris 4.3. That thing can do any thing you can think of. I mean, that's the *real* thing for only 45 bucks, and there's a Demo version also (http://www.alcyone.de).

Anyway, after dozens of hours playing with numerous software, commands, su's..., dll's, tricks and bottles, I finally managed to put Alcyone Ephemeris 4.3 Full, working 100%. It doesn't have a single glitch or a bug. Everything is working perfectly!

I'm not going to post your fancy "Code: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx", because in this process I mainly copied it as I don't know much about Linux.

I had found problems like P11, disable windows focus, provider not found can be incorrectly installed, etc.etc.

I got it working like this:

Linux Mint 18.0 "Sarah"
Wine 1.9.16
Playonlinux 4.2.10
XP 32-bits bottle
winetricks dotnet20 inside bottle
winetricks dotnet40 inside bottle (not sure if necessary)
winetricks mdac28
winetricks jet40 <----- :shock:

Simple, but effective.

In the end, there might be a problem with windows focus (not updating date), but that it a case to shut alcyone *once* without ephemeris bookmarked of the "view" menu.

Thank you all,

Antonio