Wine crashes on app that works according to AppDB

Questions about Wine on Linux
Whiteadder
Level 1
Level 1

Wine crashes on app that works according to AppDB

Post by Whiteadder »

The app that I’m interested in running on Ubuntu (Microsoft Money 99, aka v7) received a Gold rating in Wine’s AppDB back in 2011 (version 1.2.2 of Wine) so I proceeded with the installation and it launches and displays the home screen properly. I can even go into many sub-screens, menus and dialog boxes. But it crashes as soon as you try to do... just about anything. The error is always "Unhandled exception: page fault on write access to 0x00000000 in 32-bit code (0x61e474a3)."

I tried both the Win98 and WinXP settings of Wine. (Those are the two versions of Windows on which I have been using this app from 1999 until now.)

Should I conclude that Wine won’t run it anymore?
dimesio

Re: Wine crashes on app that works according to AppDB

Post by dimesio »

There may be a regression, but there is also a known bug that (according to comment 11 in the bug report) has to be worked around by using wine start to run the executable. So the question is, did you do that? If not, try that.
Whiteadder
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Whiteadder »

No, I had not tried that. I have now. It doesn’t make any difference because that workaround concerns the non standard location of the DLLs, which prevent MS Money from loading if it doesn’t find them. I had solved that by copying its DLLs to the “Windows” DLL directory (under .wine). I had also removed the Z: drive before installation.

As I said, it loads fine.

The error occurs when you do something that make it try to write somewhere. (It could only be writing to the Registry or to the data file being worked on, of which I tried 3 different freshly created ones.)
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Removing the Z: drive is not a supported configuration, as it can break apps. I know removing the Z: drive is suggested in the last comment in the bug report, but that's only for the installer, so try putting it back.

If that doesn't help, post the full terminal output, including the command used to run the program.

Also, you didn't mention what Wine version you're using. If it's not the latest development release (currently 1.9.15), upgrade and test that.
Whiteadder
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Whiteadder »

I tried installing the development release following the instructions on this page:
https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu

But that’s a dead-end. I don’t know how to resolve “unsatisfied dependencies”.

The installed version of Wine is 1.6.2 because that’s what Ubuntu’s official repository gives me. I don’t understand why it's not 1.8.3.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Whiteadder wrote: I don’t know how to resolve “unsatisfied dependencies”.
Install them. If you need help figuring out how, ask on the Ubuntu forum.

In the mean time, post terminal output from 1.6.2.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

Whiteadder wrote:I tried installing the development release following the instructions on this page:
https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu

But that’s a dead-end. I don’t know how to resolve “unsatisfied dependencies”.

The installed version of Wine is 1.6.2 because that’s what Ubuntu’s official repository gives me. I don’t understand why it's not 1.8.3.
@Whiteadder

If you're getting stuck with the WineHQ guide (which is quite brief)...

Try this Ask Ubuntu Guide to installing the latest development version of Wine : How to install and configure Wine?
This guide goes into more detail...

Bob
Whiteadder
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Whiteadder »

I've installed wine-devel. Now Ubuntu won't start.

Thanks a lot!
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

Whiteadder wrote:I've installed wine-devel. Now Ubuntu won't start.

Thanks a lot!
@Whiteadder

I take it - that that's an ironic "thanks"... But think of the learning opportunities this chance mishap brings!

Why do you think I run Gentoo as my main distro? Debian packaging is mess IMHO.
I suspect there was some slight tl;dr and/ or user error - involved in this instance - as well though 8)

Anyway... One must always move on and learn from life's mis-steps...
  • Are you troubleshooting? Or going for a more "robust approach" (i.e. re-installing?!!)
  • If the former - are you getting dumped to a TTY terminal - rather than a Unity session?
  • Can you get to the LightDM login screen? (Other login managers are available)
  • Or perhaps some other obscure error??
Bob
lahmbi5678
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lahmbi5678 »

Installing wine-devel should never be able to trash Ubuntu. I'm quite sure, that something else got messed up. Probably the graphics drivers. Are you using xorg-edgers?

Some time ago I had a strange issue with the proprietary nvidia drivers and opensuse. After updating some packages including kernel and drivers, my desktop environment wouldn't start anymore, though I hadn't changed anything. It took me a few hours to find out, that I suddenly had the wrong nvidia driver. Opensuse/Nvidia had moved the support for my admittedly mediocre GT 730 from a package called nvidiagfx-G04 to another package nvidiagfx-G03. Opensuse offers different packages for different generations of nvidia cards, you have to pick the right package for your card, which I did when I installed the GT 730 in the first. I had tried a lot of things until I realized this misconception. I googled a lot, but only very few people seemed to have run into that issue. For people who don't believe that such b/s actually can happen, see [1], they describe what was probably my issue.

[1] https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread. ... ers-issues
Whiteadder
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Whiteadder »

I’m just a user. (I have some experience in IT, but virtually none in Linux.) I had chosen Ubuntu because it is widely touted as user-friendly. It comes with Libre Office, Firefox and Thunderbird, which happen to be what I use on Windows, so that only left “MS Money 99” to be investigated. Still, it had taken me weeks to get to this point.

Now, upon bootup, after a just a few seconds of the (normal) Ubuntu logo on a purple background with a progress indicator, the screen goes black and displays this line with a blinking cursor underneath and remains there indefinitely, not responding to keyboard input:

/dev/sda8/: clean, 187841/1406272 files, 1275510/5615360 blocks

Therefore, I doubt that it’s getting far enough along into the boot process to be tripped up by a wrong graphics driver and it certainly isn’t far enough along to “dump” me to anything. (The screen in question is definitely not a terminal.)

@Bob

The answer to all your questions is: no. I give up. It looks like I’ll be using Windows XP until I die.
fjfrackiewicz
Level 2
Level 2

Post by fjfrackiewicz »

Whiteadder wrote:I’m just a user. (I have some experience in IT, but virtually none in Linux.) I had chosen Ubuntu because it is widely touted as user-friendly. It comes with Libre Office, Firefox and Thunderbird, which happen to be what I use on Windows, so that only left “MS Money 99” to be investigated. Still, it had taken me weeks to get to this point.

Now, upon bootup, after a just a few seconds of the (normal) Ubuntu logo on a purple background with a progress indicator, the screen goes black and displays this line with a blinking cursor underneath and remains there indefinitely, not responding to keyboard input:

/dev/sda8/: clean, 187841/1406272 files, 1275510/5615360 blocks

Therefore, I doubt that it’s getting far enough along into the boot process to be tripped up by a wrong graphics driver and it certainly isn’t far enough along to “dump” me to anything. (The screen in question is definitely not a terminal.)

@Bob

The answer to all your questions is: no. I give up. It looks like I’ll be using Windows XP until I die.
I tried building Wine once on Ubuntu. Never again.

I use Antergos and I get all the user-friendliness of Ubuntu with none of the Debian package mess and I get the most recent version of wine-devel installed in /usr/bin (where I like it as I prefer Wine to be universal :D). If you haven't given up completely on Linux and you have an Nvidia video card, I can highly suggest Antergos as an alternative :)
Whiteadder
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Whiteadder »

Thanks for the tip. I will investigate Antergos.

However, it is Wine that broke my system, not Debian/Ubuntu. I was trying to install the Devel release of Wine (faithfully following the instructions in the WineHQ Wiki) because that is a requirement imposed by WineHQ before one is allowed to submit a bug report.

How would using Antergos make any difference in that regard?