Problems installing Wine 1.8.3

Questions about Wine on Linux
LibbyKate

Problems installing Wine 1.8.3

Post by LibbyKate »

I am a #$*%#$ newb to Linux, and I really ask that you please be patient with me.

I have had consistent problems installing Wine 1.8.3 on Mint Rebecca. I was able to install and then purge 1.6.2 via the terminal, but I am having problems finding instructions to install 1.8.3 via terminal. I keep getting a "not found" error, which leads me to believe I am not providing sufficient information.

I do not need to run any Windows applications other than Diablo 1 and the original Magic the Gathering. My laptop isn't a work box.

I would like to know which stable version of Wine would be sufficient for those games and how to install it manually.

Thank you for any and all advice :)
dimesio

Re: Problems installing Wine 1.8.3

Post by dimesio »

WineHQ doesn't package the stable releases, so if you insist on using that, you'll have to either find a package elsewhere or build it yourself.

WineHQ packages for the latest development or staging releases can be installed by following the instructions here: https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu.

The place to check for information on specific apps is the AppDB.
https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... n&iId=3498
https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... n&iId=2740
LibbyKate

Post by LibbyKate »

There is zero chance that I will be building anything myself. I am so new to scripts, I would probably set my laptop on fire. My main concern is installing Wine via terminal, so I can become more comfortable with it. My only experience with command lines was from Windows platforms, where there was a very real possibility of screwing up the entire system and possibly awakening Cthulu.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

The Ubuntu wiki page gives instructions for installing the development or staging packages via terminal. Installing a stable package would be basically the same, but you would have to find a PPA with a stable package, add that instead of the WineHQ PPA, and install that package instead of winehq-devel or wine-staging.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

LibbyKate wrote:There is zero chance that I will be building anything myself. I am so new to scripts, I would probably set my laptop on fire. My main concern is installing Wine via terminal, so I can become more comfortable with it. My only experience with command lines was from Windows platforms, where there was a very real possibility of screwing up the entire system and possibly awakening Cthulu.
Well that's a thing... :lol:

Whenever I Google search for PPA's I always also get a hit to this guide: What are PPAs and how do I use them? (i.e. it's a popular one!!)
You can add the official WineHQ Wine PPA using that guide.

Installing the wine package (refer to here: Official Wine builds PPA) itself can be done graphically - using the venerable Synaptic Package Manager ...

Bob
LibbyKate

Post by LibbyKate »

Thanks for all your help :)

I was able to successfully install via terminal, and I have a shoddy but working version of one of my games going!

Thanks for all the info. It's been a great help!
LibbyKate

Post by LibbyKate »

Oh, and whan I say "newb," or "n00b," I mean Grog hits thinky thing with stick. Most people on the forums are way above my pay grade, so the absolute basic tutorials and language are appreciated. You guys are so knowledgeable and saturated in it, you have no idea. I was an IRC OP and while I understood the commands up to a g-line and kinda understood a flood and crisis/flood shutdown, I didn't have access to do those. So I knew, but had no practice. Linux is more of a "stumble around until you get it right" thing, so I'm really grateful for everyone who has been so nice to me, and I'll do my best to learn. btw - no laptop fires or Cthulu yet :D