Wine icon does not appear in GNOME Debian 8

Questions about Wine on Linux
tcanuto

Wine icon does not appear in GNOME Debian 8

Post by tcanuto »

Hello.

When I want to access a Windows program, click with the right mouse button and the Wine of the icon is grayed out.
Captura de tela.png
Installed as instructed in Debian download page here:
https://wiki.winehq.org/Debian

There's something wrong?
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Wine icon does not appear in GNOME Debian 8

Post by Bob Wya »

If you're trying to install Outlook, with Wine, then it'll require a quite a bit of Wine Foo and Linux/ BASH (other shells are available) command line knowledge!! :o :shock:

Trying to install any Microsoft Office application, via a Linux Desktop File Manager/Wine, just ain't happening anytime soon... :cry:

Wine is typically only associated with .exe files (+ Unix executable flag set) in most Linux Distributions / Desktop Environments. If you want to mess about with other application types then .exe - you'll need to use Linux native tools (file archivers). Or alternatively you can use Windows GUI / command line tools running under Wine (like the 7-zip archiver). Probably only worth tackling for the more advanced Linux user!!

See WineHQ AppDB Entry of MS Office Products 2010
See WineHQ AppDB Microsoft Outlook

For the more noobie approach - there is always the possibility of buying a CrossOver License. Most of the Wine Development is funded by CrossOver - so purchasing a license is indirectly supporting Wine.

Bob
tcanuto

Post by tcanuto »

Hello. No ... I do not need Outlook or Microsoft program. I'm using applications for Linux. What I wonder is why the Wine icon is in gray instead of appearing the Wine application icon.

I'm currently using through Wine is the MetaTrader 5 platform that is native to Windows.
spoon0042
Level 6
Level 6

Post by spoon0042 »

I *think* the winehq packages don't provide any, uh, shell integration. That entry could be left over from something else or built in / default for your file manager / DE. That said... unless you know where to look for what's behind that menu entry you could try (as root) 'ln -s /opt/wine-devel/bin/wine /usr/bin/wine'. (Assuming you installed the devel version, and assuming the entry points to /usr/bin/wine, that might work. Or not.)