SonyEricsson Tool & Wine

Questions about Wine on Linux
dodoVin

SonyEricsson Tool & Wine

Post by dodoVin »

Hi! I'm trying to get run a Windows programm called "SETool" (a tool for unlocking and flashing SonyEricsson phones) under Wine :D The phone for the project is a j220i with an proper usb cable. SETool version is 1.0 and i compiled and installed Wine v1.8.3 on my Slack 14.1 (32bits). I only get the starting banner of SETool under Wine.. Looks like it doesn't detect my phone OR the soft don't want to go further :confused: lsusb return nothing and maybe should i give another try with the devel wine's version?!

Thanks for any helps ;)
dimesio

Re: SonyEricsson Tool & Wine

Post by dimesio »

dodoVin wrote: lsusb return nothing
If the host system doesn't recognize the device, there's no way Wine can see it.
dodoVin

Post by dodoVin »

Ok thanks, i'll search on that side..
Another Q: does Wine include full support for SmartCards?
oiaohm
Level 8
Level 8

Post by oiaohm »

dodoVin wine is a compatibility layer please remember this.

Some smart card readers work with wine applications because to Linux/OS X they end up appearing as serial ports you can map through to wine. Yes this is the host OS identify the hardware then making interface that wine can exploit.

Wine was not designed at all to be directly controlling hardware. Some of this direct control hardware you would cross your fingers if it would work with extremely alpha Reactos. Its the major difference between Wine and Reactos. Reactos is designed on the idea of providing a replacement windows kernel to run Windows drivers of course this would result in running a virtual machine under Linux/OS X and pass the hardware interfaces through. Wine is designed to use as much of the host OS provided interfaces as possible to make applications run so mostly avoids supporting hardware drivers.

Basically dodoVin I think you have a round peg with a square hole problem. Wine was never intended to run everything windows does. Lot of hardware areas are off limits to wine.

Something people forget and it critical most hardware can only be controlled by 1 driver at a time. So if you tried to drive a pure usb card reader with a Linux/OS X driver and a Windows Driver at exactly the same time you would end up with a garbled mess on the storage device. Even using a virtual machine to drive hardware you have to tell the host OS to leave the device alone so guest OS can directly control it. Hardware control brings many strict limits.

I will be clear and say its not impossible for wine to be extended at some point in future to run different classes of hardware drivers. There were attempts in past to extend wine to run like windows printer drivers this was given up on as linux/OS X drivers ended up way more predictable if they would work or not. Unless something changes if you are controlling hardware unless you are insanely lucky you will be wanting a native platform application to-do it.